Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-14-2010, 02:02 AM   #1
luite
Connoisseur
luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: dr1000
DjVu Plugin for DR1000 - version 0.2

This is version 0.2 of the djvu plugin for the DR1000. It allows you to open DjVu files ( http://djvu.org/ ) using the same interface as the other file formats supported by the DR1000. It supports zooming, scribbles, bookmarks, text search etc.

I have opened a new thread because this version contains some important changes over 0.1.x.

Note: Only firmware version 1.7.1 is supported. UDS contains a bug that causes the djvu plugin to be unable to load files when the mobipocket plugin is installed. The installer will overwrite uds with a patched version. Only uds from firmware 1.7.1 is overwritten. (If you try to use it on a different firmware, you'll have to remove /usr/lib/uds/libuds-plugin-mobipocket.so manually or you'll get an error when opening djvu files)

Installation:
- Download the attached zip file
- Extract to the root of your SD card, overwriting existing files
- Execute "/Home/Documents/Programs/Install/Install DjVu Plugin" on your reader
- Wait for the device to reboot
(If you have already installed version 0.1.x, you don't need to remove it. The installer automatically restores the backup files and the mobipocket plugin)

Removal:
- Execute "/Home/Documents/Programs/Install/Remove DjVu Plugin" on your reader. This removes the plugin itself, the djvu file associations, and copies the original uds back.

Changed since 0.1.1:
- updated installation scripts, will not overwrite schema's anymore
- text search
- lookup word in dictionary
- table of contents
- support for rotated pages
- two-page split: if you have a document that contains two pages per scanned image, rename your file so that the file name ends in 2pg.djvu . The plugin will now display the left and right pages separately
- lots of smaller bug fixes

The following things are not yet supported:
- table of content items that don't link to a page number (but a image name, or file name instead)
- hyperlinks within a file

Thanks to:
- Gertjan for helping with the uds issues
- Mackx for the new installation scripts

Please report any issues, suggestions or requests.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DjVu-Plugin-0.2.0.zip (1.07 MB, 847 views)

Last edited by luite; 02-14-2010 at 02:09 AM.
luite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Thanks luite, it is working really well!

Now dictionary look-up has been incorporated, this is the ideal DjVu reader.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Are you going to attempt to port it to 3.0 (DR800) or wait till the 3.0 DR1000 firmware comes out?
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
luite
Connoisseur
luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.luite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
Are you going to attempt to port it to 3.0 (DR800) or wait till the 3.0 DR1000 firmware comes out?
I'm not sure if it's actually useful for the DR800 now, because of the missing zoom features.

If there is interest, I'll certainly try to port it. Porting seems easy enough, the interfaces have changed only a little. I don't have a DR800, so I can only test it in the emulator, unfortunately (donations are welcome though ).
Old 02-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
owl123
Addict
owl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litterowl123 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy NotePro 12.2, InkBook
Thanks!
owl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
luite,

Nice job on the plugin. I installed the 0.2 version and converted some problem PDFs with any2djvu and it works very well. Thanks for opening a new door for the device and, for that matter, for me: I had no experience with DJVU files until I tried the plugin. The any2djvu discovery helped too.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
owl123
Addict

2-page split is a great feature. I was wondering if it was possible to implement it in the PDF plugin?
Old 02-15-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
luite
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
2-page split is a great feature. I was wondering if it was possible to implement it in the PDF plugin?
In theory, yes, with the current PDF plugin, but it would require quite a few changes. The problem is that IREX will switch to the Adobe PDF viewer in the next firmware version, the source code for this plugin is not available (at least not in the 3.0 source code for the DR800, that already uses the Adobe viewer). It's still possible to compile the old PDF plugin for the new firmware though, but you'd have to change the file extension for the files that you want to view with the old plugin. I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble.

I'm also not very happy with the way the two page split mode is implemented. It's not a big deal to rename a file, but I'd rather have a button for it in the popup menu (or a sub-menu, so that we can have multiple split modes for two and three column pages for example). But I don't think the plugins are supposed to add buttons to the popup menu directly.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #9
owl123
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by luite View Post
I'm also not very happy with the way the two page split mode is implemented. It's not a big deal to rename a file, but I'd rather have a button for it in the popup menu (or a sub-menu, so that we can have multiple split modes for two and three column pages for example). But I don't think the plugins are supposed to add buttons to the popup menu directly.
I'm pretty sure that each file extension can have its own set of icons in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Maybe we could make a use of it?

Thanks again! :-)
Old 02-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
luite
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl123 View Post
I'm pretty sure that each file extension can have its own set of icons in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. Maybe we could make a use of it?
The problem is that all icons are provided by UDS (universal document shell, the viewer application that provides the user interface for the documents), the plugins just tell UDS what types of features the document supports (through a set of standard interfaces defined by irex), so UDS can decide whether to enable the 'Fonts' or 'Writing' buttons for example.

Other applications, like the file/directory browser (ctb, content browser) do have a different set of icons.

If you know a (good) way to actually add new icons from a plugin, please let me know how
Old 02-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
luite
Connoisseur

I've been trying a few things to get extra buttons for djvu documents in the popup menu (1 page / 2 page toggle for now, but I'd like to add a few more options, like brightness/contrast, dithering on/off, show background or not).

Apparently it is possible to add buttons from the plugin to the popup menu (using eripc calls), but the events are then handled by uds itself, which of course doesn't know anything about the new buttons ( (ERROR)uds_view_reading.cpp:798,handle_command_eve nt() Unhandled command event: 1 ), so I'm not sure if it's possible to do anything useful with them.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Luite,

I have been making regular use of the plugin, and its has been working well. I have converted pdf files that were originally produced as image files. They now open quickly and are text searchable to boot.

Thanks again.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
luite
Connoisseur

Good to see that you like my plugin tjdean256 I use it myself for scanned files and converted PDF files that originally displayed extremely slowly (complex PDF files with lots of images, and some pdf files with bitmap fonts).

I have finally had a little time to work on the plugin again. I now have a working version on the DR800 emulator, updated to the new UDS interfaces. It's not really done yet (no installer), and I still need to do a little more testing. Text search works, but no zooming obviously, as the DR800 currently lacks that functionality.

Last edited by luite; 03-27-2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
Haqqax
Haqqax began at the beginning.

Device: DR800S
Is it possible to download the DR800 version of the djvu plugin somewhere?
Maybe you can also post the sources/compilation instructions?
I hope that iRex will add suport for djvu in the firmware.
Haqqax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #15
luite
Connoisseur

The DR800 plugin is not yet available for download. The problem is that it doesn't work on the new beta firmware, and I can't fix it until irex releases the source code. Since many people probably already run the beta firmware, and the old firmware doesn't support zoom, I want to wait for the final release of the firmware. This way, the same plugin can (hopefully) be used on the DR1000.

Unfortunately, this release seems to take longer than expected. I run the beta firmware on my DR1000, but I'm thinking of downgrading to 1.7.1 if it takes much longer.

Tags
djvu, dr1000s, irex, plugin, uds