Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
tanstaafl1963
tanstaafl1963 doesn't littertanstaafl1963 doesn't littertanstaafl1963 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
Kindle books onto Calibre

Has anyone discovered a method to extract books from a Kindle onto Calibre?

I know that you can side-load books from Calibre onto the Kindle, where the 'source' of the books is the Calibre PC. But if I have a book(s) on the Kindle and don't have access to my Amazon account for backup, is it possible to take a copy of the ebook from the Kindle and move/copy it to the Calibre PC?
tanstaafl1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Tether the Kindle to the PC, open Calibre, choose Add Books, then navigate to the Kindle drive, and choose the document you want from the Documents folder on the Kindle.

Just make sure to choose the right file type, like .azw for Kindle books. When I just tried this out, I found that there are a ton of Unix files on the Kindle that correspond to the actual book files.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
On my K2i, if I open Calibre and then attach my kindle via USB, I can view the books on the 'Device'....this page in Calibre also has the ability to highlight individual books and then upload them to the Calibre library from my 'Device'. Of course you may need a plugin from our special friend to deal with any DRM issues that may present as you upload the book.

As far as I know, there is no plugin yet to deal with the DRM issues from Fire. (if I'm wrong on this one, I'd love to have someone let me know!)

Good luck!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
On my K2i, if I open Calibre and then attach my kindle via USB, I can view the books on the 'Device'....this page in Calibre also has the ability to highlight individual books and then upload them to the Calibre library from my 'Device'. Of course you may need a plugin from our special friend to deal with any DRM issues that may present as you upload the book.

Well, yes, that would be far easier than the method I described.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote