Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
chaznsc
Connoisseur
chaznsc began at the beginning.

Device: Mine
Good Libraries? Book Swaps? (cant seem to find affordable books)

Ok, a few days into my 505 I'm finding either a lack of eBooks or prices I really don't want to pay for a book I cannot possibly resell. The days of my finding a book on eBay are over in this regard.

I read a lot of technical stuff, so all is not lost, but it would be nice to fulfill my love of Non-Fiction reading. I enjoy things like the Scott Peterson Trial, Psychopathy of criminal minds, etc.

I'm still sure the 505 is for me because I like to upload so much of my own stuff, rss feeds, etc.

Are there any libraries online that have a current selection of books that might be an alternative to what I am running into? I realize there would be a cost.

Perhaps I just don't know where to shop!

Sorry for the complaints.

chaz

Last edited by chaznsc; 07-10-2009 at 10:58 PM.
chaznsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Check out the New York Public Library. Non-residents can join for $100 a year.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
chaznsc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Check out the New York Public Library. Non-residents can join for $100 a year.
Any idea what the digital library is like?

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaznsc View Post
Any idea what the digital library is like?

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!
You're welcome!

You can browse their titles here. Since you own a Sony, look for Adobe Digital Editions, or ePub or PDF books.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I think I just saw a thread that discussed the fact that the NYPL may no longer accept non residents.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
chaznsc
Connoisseur

Well of course not LOL.............
Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #7
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Not sure where you are from, but you can check the website of Overdrive to see if your library offers books. I have been a big fan of my library here in Phoenix, AZ. Quite a few books.

I know Michigan, California, Cleveland ARea, and NY also have good libraries. Im sure others, those are just the ones that come to mind. And I have been quite successful at finding free books thru this Mobile Read site also.

Hang in there. You will find them
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
chaznsc
Connoisseur

Are there no book-swap sites? Or is that just a no-no?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I think I just saw a thread that discussed the fact that the NYPL may no longer accept non residents.
Rats! Looks like you're right, the nonresident application is gone. I found a cached version of it but all the links lead to a 404 page.

I wonder if they got so many nonresident requests that they couldn't handle the outflow of ebooks.

Sorry to get your hopes up chaznsc.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
chaznsc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Rats! Looks like you're right, the nonresident application is gone. I found a cached version of it but all the links lead to a 404 page.

I wonder if they got so many nonresident requests that they couldn't handle the outflow of ebooks.

Sorry to get your hopes up chaznsc.
It's ok, I am thinking I might just give up on e-readers for now. There is such a lag with the print-world.