Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-25-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
patatan
Enthusiast
patatan is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen 3, DR1000S
How do you protect your DR1000S when you carry it around?

Since my cybook screen broke I carry the new one around with the protective cover inside a metal DVD box, as other people do:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25156

I suppose the DR1000 screen is as fragile as the Cybook's. I still have not got the protective cover. Is it enough to carry it around, let's say, in a case? If not, how are you solving this problem?
patatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patatan View Post
I suppose the DR1000 screen is as fragile as the Cybook's.
More fragile, because it's a larger screen. Any flexing of the case will be more likely to break the screen than on the CyBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
More fragile, because it's a larger screen. Any flexing of the case will be more likely to break the screen than on the CyBook.
I thought it was the other way. The same "flexing" in meter will give less flexing angle for a bigger screen and therefore less chance of breaking it.

On the other hand since it is bigger the probability for larger flexings probably is bigger than for a smaller screen.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I thought it was the other way. The same "flexing" in meter will give less flexing angle for a bigger screen and therefore less chance of breaking it.

On the other hand since it is bigger the probability for larger flexings probably is bigger than for a smaller screen.
It would exert more torque, which is the force applied multiplied by the distance from the point of application. That's why it's easier to undo a tight bolt with a long-handled wrench than a short one.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
It would exert more torque, which is the force applied multiplied by the distance from the point of application. That's why it's easier to undo a tight bolt with a long-handled wrench than a short one.
Oh... SNAP! Don't get all cerebral and elitist on us now Harry.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:46 PM   #6
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Yes, that is trivial. But why is that relevant? It all depends how flexing occurs. My point was that for the same actual flexing distance it is less sensitive. So if you have it in a bag or similar that allows a certain flexing distance the bigger screen is better.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Yes, that is trivial. But why is that relevant? It all depends how flexing occurs. My point was that for the same actual flexing distance it is less sensitive. So if you have it in a bag or similar that allows a certain flexing distance the bigger screen is better.
I was thinking of the situation where the ends of the case flexed with respect to the centre - that will exert more torque on the centre of the screen with a larger case.

All this is splitting hairs, though - I think we're all agreed that it needs to be protected.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Oh... SNAP! Don't get all cerebral and elitist on us now Harry.

BOb
Using a wrench on a bolt is hardly an elitist idea unless you take your car to an elitist mechanic.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Using a wrench on a bolt is hardly an elitist idea unless you take your car to an elitist mechanic.

Dale
Did you not see my irony icon?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I got the flip-over case and apart form shoving it in a soft briefcase when travelling, that is all I use. the flip-over case has a very firm front cover (why is the logo on the back though?) which should protect it from most things. The case may also give some limited protection if you drop it, but I won't try that if you don't mind Glass is usually more prone to breaking if you "attack" the edges than if you whack it on the front.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Did you not see my irony icon?

BOb
Is that what that was.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:14 PM   #12
pr28
pr28 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I've been lurking for some while now, trying to get myself up to speed on all the issues, which I think I am fairly decently caught up on now. I would appreciate your thoughts (or as they would say down south, youalls thoughts) on my situation.
I am a literary agent, and I have been using a Sony Reader PRS 500 pretty much since it came out -- that is for a couple of years now. It is a terrific tool especially for reading unpublished manuscripts and proposals that come via my clients and those who would like me to represent them, and I have actually managed to convince quite a number of colleagues to get one. In fact, several major publishers have already, or soon will hand out Sony's to their editorial staff to make reading manuscripts easier -- and arguably cheaper rather than printing them out, even on used paper. OK, so far so good. I just bought my assistant the 505 and she loves it and I can definitely see the contrast difference and the improvement in the machine from mine.
What I'd really like is an 8 inch screen -- yes, I know that puts me in line to get a iRex Iliad of some sort even though it's almost double the price.

However, I've been looking at the PRS 700 as my next purchase, a) because of the improved contrast from the 500, b) because of the touch screen technology which is hugely helpful while standing up reading in a crowded subway car, and just in general c) because of the ability to highlight words and phrases, up to now a huge problem for us with manuscripts we need to make notes on. (Yes, you see where I'm going.) I love the ability of the Sony to take any ms which I can convert to an rtf file, make the font size 16 pt, and download with ease to the Sony. I have a macro set up in Word to do much of what I want in one click and it is easy for me to read everything except pdfs to be honest.
I have been very impressed with what I've read and seen about the iRex Iliad, though I haven't had the opportunty to actually see one in person (I live in New York City and it isn't easy to find one on sale here) and I'm drawn to it because it seems to have several missing elements for me, namely a slightly bigger screen and clearer screen which might make reading pdfs easier and more practicable, and the ability to make notes on the material. For those of you who have one here are my questions:
Can you get material onto the iRex as easily as you do the Sony? Can you do it using the bluetooth software, for example? Are the notes you make on a file saveable and printable (perhaps as pdf files) that I could send to an author or keep in a folder for future reference? What do you guys see (aside from the price of course) as the major strengths and weaknesses of the iRex compared to the new PRS 700.
Sorry to go on, but I've been looking around for a while and no one is actually dealing directly with these issues at the moment that I can see.
Thanks,
Peter Rubie
(CEO FinePrint Literary Management)
pr28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The iliad (or the DR1000) have a larger screen, which for a lot of PDF documents is a real benefit. Further advantages would be the scribbling features that allow you to mark and comment on documents. As the Sony 700 has a touch screen it may allow something similar here, (it's not available in the UK so I've only read the release notes briefly) .

Getting material onto the devices is easy, you can drag and drop. With the Iliad you can even plug in a usb stick and read/use documents from that which was very tempting for myself.

Any annotations you make (writing only works on pdfs in the DR1000 and I can't recall if that is the same in the iliad) have to be merged separately via a PC programme, otherwise they are only readable on the device that wrote them. But I do use that feature a lot.

Bluetooth isn't available for the iliad (but it does have an ethernet port) and is not due for the DR1000SW until probably early 2009. One version of the iliad has wifi and again the DR1000SW will have too. How useful it is I cannot say a I don't have it. Reading the iliad forum may give you a better idea, for instance I don't know whether you can treat it as a network drive. Likewise I'm not entirely sure whether you can use the iliad at the same time as you are connected via Wifi or it's ethernet port.
regards
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
drmaniac
drmaniac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
whats about the original addons?

http://www.justread.de/shop/product_...u7ihjcgcc726d4

drmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:01 PM   #15
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Still waiting for mine...

In the meantime, the flip-cover works nicely, it's rather stiff so the screen is well protected. You could even shove some extra padding into the front pocket for extra protection.

Because it is such a close fit, it doesn't offer much corner drop protection though, which is a real concern for me: This recently happened to my Sony reader, from hip height onto a tile floor... on the corner. The corner is now dented, the on/off switch almost popped out BUT the screen is OK... and I think in no small part because the overlapping leather cover dampened the impact enough.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote