Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Travel/Adventure book willwe read in March?
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson 20 48.78%
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne 21 51.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #31
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The vote is still tied (there's been an additional vote for each), and I hate to keep you all in suspense, but I need to go grocery shopping. So if it's still tied in 28 minutes, let the suspense begin!
Maybe I should vote at the last minute if it isn't tied, just to add to the suspense!

I would vote, but since I have recently read 20k leagues, plus it doesn't really match what I thought the intent of this category was for, and the Bryson is out of my e-book budget, I have abstained.

So far.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The vote is still tied (there's been an additional vote for each), and I hate to keep you all in suspense, but I need to go grocery shopping. So if it's still tied in 28 minutes, let the suspense begin!
You have an iPod and an iPad. Take one with you, find WiFi and vote. No way are we waiting until you get back home.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #33
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
So which one will win I wonder. Looks like if Tom does vote that it will just create another tie (depending on which he votes for).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #34
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
So which one will win I wonder. Looks like if Tom does vote that it will just create another tie (depending on which he votes for).
According to the "rules", Tom only votes in the run off if there is a tie.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #35
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
He voted for In a Sunburned Country in the preliminary, so ...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #36
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Verne just made it! That was an extremely close race.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #37
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
The poll is closed and we've got 20,000 leagues to Go!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #38
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I am in shock and awe that 20,000 Leagues won. When I first looked at the ten final nominees, there was no way I would've ever predicted that that one would win.

Just kidding! Actually, when I first saw the nominees for this month, I thought right away that 20,000 Leagues would probably win. It's fiction, it's sci-fi, it's free and it's famous. It was obvious. What I am surprised about is that something else gave it a run for its money. Unfortunately for suspense's sake, I was thinking that 20,000 Leagues would win this run-off poll too so the ties and close-to-ties weren't all that suspenseful. I just had that feeling that no matter how many votes Bryson got, Verne would end up at the end with at least just one more, and lo an behold!

Anyway, I would like to read it and I've never done so, but I'm not sure if I will this month. The concerns I brought up about the translation were real and valid, and I'll look into it some more. But if a possibly "best" version is about to come out, then I don't want to read a second-rate one when the better one is just around the corner, and it's not like this is just any ordinary book with the translations. This book has had major problems with them.

By the way, I blame this all on issybird! Judging by your other posts in the vote threads, you weren't even that into reading the Verne in the first place!
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #39
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Well, I voted for the other guy, as I wasn't really in the mood to read 20,000 Leagues, even though I helped nominate it. Now I have to decide if I want to:

1. Release the hold I placed at the library for In a Sunburned Country.
2. Keep the hold and read it anyway, whenever it becomes available.
3. Read 20,000 Leagues, seeing as I've never read it before.
4. Forget both books and continue doing my own thing.

Last edited by Nyssa; 03-01-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typos
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

All I can say is I'm going to be rather annoyed if all 21 people (who voted for Verne) do not participate in the discussion thread. It's not fair to vote and then just F off.

I very well may not read Verne because it's not the new translation.

And when the new translation is out, I will nominate Verne again using the new translation loophole.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #41
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All I can say is I'm going to be rather annoyed if all 21 people (who voted for Verne) do not participate in the discussion thread.
Phew! What a relief I didn't vote for it! :-)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #42
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
All I can say is I'm going to be rather annoyed if all 21 people (who voted for Verne) do not participate in the discussion thread. It's not fair to vote and then just F off.

I very well may not read Verne because it's not the new translation.

And when the new translation is out, I will nominate Verne again using the new translation loophole.
You were the third nominator and voted for it in the first round--if you hadn't, Bryson would have won. We're having second thoughts, are we? Own it.

See you in the discussion thread.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #43
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
By the way, I blame this all on issybird! Judging by your other posts in the vote threads, you weren't even that into reading the Verne in the first place!
What can I say? I had no interest in reading three of the nominations; of those three, I was most interested in Verne!

I've taken a quick look and the translation situation doesn't seem as dire as all that. There have been two in the past twenty years with corrected errors, restored cuts, and copious annotations.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #44
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Darn, I really don't want to read Twenty Thousand Leagues. Last year I felt the same way about Ivanhoe, but I enjoyed it and read it quickly. I felt more favorable to A Thousand Miles Up The Nile, but it took six weeks to finish it even though it was worth the effort. So I guess I'll just do it.

By the way, I'm just finishing The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and am loving it. Every month I've learned of and read wonderful nominated books that did not win.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
You were the third nominator and voted for it in the first round--if you hadn't, Bryson would have won. We're having second thoughts, are we? Own it.

See you in the discussion thread.
I didn't vote for it in this round. So I'm not having to participate.