Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-09-2012, 10:11 AM   #1171
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
I take it that no one is going to compare my effort to a Taylor Swift song about lost love?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #1172
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
(a quick one from today, hot off the presses)

Moonstruck

Four point five billion years ago
Theia struck the Earth

Molten magma swirled to space
twisting and twirling about

Two glowing orbs circled each other
like gunfighters under the sun

Locked in synchronous orbit
they cooled and waited on man

Who gathered Moon rocks and found them to be
exactly the stuff of Earth

So rather than cheese, it must be pie
for the Moon is made of crust

Kenny A. Chaffin - 11/14/2012
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:46 PM   #1173
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
That's a really nice one, Kenny. It's got everything: Poetry, science, and humor!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM   #1174
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Tom.

and Cosmic-Scale Destructive Violence!

Last edited by kennyc; 11-15-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #1175
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
And pie!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #1176
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
And pie!
Old 11-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #1177
kennyc

Death Be Not Proud

Death be not proud
for you have not bested me

I’ve looked into your eyes
and watched you slink away

we both know one day
you will win

but for today
it is I

Kenny A. Chaffin – 7/15/2012
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #1178
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just read your poem and recalled the memoir by John Gunter, in which he writes lovingly about his son who died of a brain tumor, and with the son's full knowledge that death would eventually claim his life.

This is where I first encountered the famous poem, "Death Be Not Proud,"by John Donne.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #1179
kennyc

Thanks Don! I just today read a poem in the latest Best American Poetry 2012 by Steve Orlen titled "Where Do We Go After We Die" which was written by him, knowing he only had a short time to live.

Oh and as far as the title, I knew it seemed familiar when I wrote it, but did not put it together with the John Donne poem until much later....I'm considering retitling it...may or may not....
Old 11-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #1180
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I would suggest that if your title captures the essence of what you're saying, then it needn't be changed. Of course, that's your decision...

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-- Dylan Thomas

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 AM   #1181
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Death Be Not Proud ... Kenny A. Chaffin – 7/15/2012
Nice one, Kenny.

I don't know what kind of a mood I was in when I wrote this a quarter of a century ago, but I present it without comment. It's a song, really. One that I'm rather pleased with the piano part. I'll have to record it someday.

Life, Be Not Proud / W.T. Sharpe, 1987

Life, be not proud.
One waking moment, then we sleep
And life shall be no more Life, thou shalt go down to the deep.

Jesus is dead.
I wish you'd get this through your head.
If he could be here right now, He'd agree with what I've said.

Oh, how I wish that I could make you see -
But then, where would you be?
You'd be like me.

Oh, how I wish that I could make you see Death, Thou art King,
And of Thy praises I will sing.
Other gods come and go, But you forever rule all things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

-- Dylan Thomas
I believe one of our members uses that in his signature.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-19-2012 at 02:25 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 AM   #1182
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
I think that legally titles can't be copyrighted, but as a practical matter, it makes sense to separate out our works from others.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:17 AM   #1183
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Nice one, Kenny.

I don't know what kind of a mood I was in when I wrote this a quarter of a century ago, but I present it without comment. It's a song, really. One that I'm rather pleased with the piano part. I'll have to record it someday.

Life, Be Not Proud / W.T. Sharpe, 1987

Life, be not proud.
One waking moment, then we sleep
And life shall be no more Life, thou shalt go down to the deep.

Jesus is dead.
I wish you'd get this through your head.
If he could be here right now, He'd agree with what I've said.

You'd be like me.

Oh, how I wish that I could make you see Death, Thou art King,
And of Thy praises I will sing.
Other gods come and go, But you forever rule all things.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #1184
kennyc

Protoplanet Seeks Stable Orbital Arrangement

It’s a pinball game out here
multiple balls in play

I can’t take it anymore
I need some quiet, some space
some snuggle time in
a single stable relationship

How long must I wait?

Kenny A. Chaffin – 11/22/2012
Old 12-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #1185
kennyc

New Town

New Town

Parents
left alone

Presents
left unopened

Birthdays
uncelebrated

Weddings that
will never be

The town, everything
is different now

Kenny A. Chaffin – 12/15/12

(I know it's too early for this, but I had to try)

Last edited by kennyc; 12-15-2012 at 10:49 AM.

Tags
poetry, squirrelku