Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Talking The "Toughest book I ever read, but boy am I glad I stuck it out..." thread

Spinoff from this cool thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...32&postcount=1

Generally thinking about fictional literary works - I think textbooks and such would be too easy so let's not go there

I gotta think about my own nominees...

Discuss!
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I would probably say "The Count Of Monte Cristo", it started out pretty boring but picked up, and ended great. Most modern books don't (Some come pretty close) to having as good of a plot to them. The way he made everything finally come together was awesome. Was 1200 pages, Which when I read it, I thought was quite long but not so anymore.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
For me, it was Shogun by James Clavell. I had tried to read it several times, but just couldn't get past a certain point. And one day, I did. It's still one of my favourite books.

The Count of Monte Christo is one I read from start to finish, the first time I read it. And reread it ever year at least once
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
+1! One of these for me also was a Clavell book, Tai-Pan. Like you, in then end, I was glad I stuck it out.

Which, really, is the point of this thread
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:28 AM   #5
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
For me it was Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49. I had to read it for an American literature course. It was only 160 pages long but it took me a full afternoon to read but I really liked it. I think I was one of the few who finished it/read it at all in class.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I would probably say "The Count Of Monte Cristo", it started out pretty boring but picked up, and ended great. Most modern books don't (Some come pretty close) to having as good of a plot to them. The way he made everything finally come together was awesome. Was 1200 pages, Which when I read it, I thought was quite long but not so anymore.
I think it was short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The Count of Monte Christo is one I read from start to finish, the first time I read it. And reread it ever year at least once
except that I don't reread it that often anymore.

for me, it's Les Misérables. Nothing more painful. But I was glad the pace picked up and before I gave up totally after 2 years struggling (yes, sounds ridiculous but true ) to read about nonsense people did nonsense things, finally someone important did something important.

EDIT: wait, there IS a thing more painful. It's called Peace and War, which I never managed to finish, which has nothing to do with this thread.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote