Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Excellent! I must say, Amazon is making a very good showing on the tech support side for these things.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #17
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
It might have been produced by apple ... since apple computers usually make weird noises too, like screetching, whining, clicking and clonking
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey, that clonking took huge teams of developers to get just right, and it's thoroughly shielded from infringement.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
... apple computers usually make weird noises too, like screetching, whining, clicking and clonking
Oh, they do not!!!! That's just us apple die-hard users, complaining when you try to take away our macs, prying them from our clinging fingertips. (I started with an Apple ][e ! )
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist

My first was a ][c -- they actually lost me when they went with the Mac thing.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
I cut my binaries on an apple ][e but they lost me when they tried to charge me as much for a new keyboard as it cost to get a PC. Never looked back.

Maybe it's one of these...
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:46 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist

Heh, I was just ticked that they took the command prompt away.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #23
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

They took the command prompt away?

BASTARDS!

How does anybody get anything done without a command prompt? I mean, you can't just draw pictures all day can you?

Back to the topic, when I read my Kindle while driveing it keeps making a weird "honking" noise.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
They took the command prompt away?

BASTARDS!

How does anybody get anything done without a command prompt? I mean, you can't just draw pictures all day can you?

Back to the topic, when I read my Kindle while driveing it keeps making a weird "honking" noise.
Actually the prompt is back now with version 10 since it is Unix based.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 04:24 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually the prompt is back now with version 10 since it is Unix based.
Only took 'em 18 years. How could I be so disloyal to not simply trust them that it would be back?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #26
jacksonunit
Sand Bender

I'm now so much in love with Linux it's unnatural. Ubuntu taste great. Less filling.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #27
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
got in on this late:

I like the capasitor theory, especially if you are in a dry climate, but it would still be a sign that there is a discharge across air, (the noise could be the expansion of a small pocked of air in a tight place...) You will get the same thing on tvs sometimes.

as far as os 10, the change to unix core makes my pine for a mac os box. I have tried to jump ship to *nix but my 2-3 brief trips have ended with needing one of my windows only utilities. Heck I used open office exclusively for over a year till book designer required that I install MsWord ... Right now I'm performing daily negotiations with Vista Ultimate... and sometimes it demands a sacrifice of blood, time or money... luckily if it demands more I have 2 first born.
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #28
a_whale
a_whale began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
well, the final word is that I can hear the tick-during-refresh clearly on a replacement kindle too, so either there are a lot of devices that do it or you guys are just deaf.

it sucks to have wasted Amazon's time, but now maybe anybody else who's curious can check here too. I'm happy just tuning it out, now that I know it's normal.
a_whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:41 AM   #29
jacksonunit
Sand Bender

MS Vista is not as bad as a lot of folks make out. MS bashing has been a favorite pastime of nerds for years now.

I have a Vista Ulti/Ubuntu dual boot Dell M1210 laptop and I really like it. The only proprietary thing I have on it is my ZUNE so that is really the only time I go to the Vista side anymore.

As far as the clicking goes, I think it may go away when you pass 40 or if you play drums for a few years.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #30
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've never heard any clicking from my Kindle but then again after too many years of hard rock concerts my hearing is probably compromised.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote