Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Wash out and reading on the Nook color

I want to get an e-Reader with my tax refund. So far, I am considering the Sony 650 and the Nook Classic. I like them both but kinda prefer the Sony. I've been interested in those two because they're eInk and can read library books as well as ePubs from a variety of stores.

Now, I've about LCDs being bad for the eyes. I admit I ate that up initially. However, now that I think about it, maybe this isn't true for everyone. I spend a lot of time looking at a computer screen and my eyes don't hurt at all. I use to work as a secretary and I was staring at a computer screen a lot during the day. Then I would come home and use the computer. So maybe an LCD wouldn't be so bad.

This has made me think about considering a Nook color. The price is only slightly higher than the Sony and it has the wonderful touch screen. I use an iPod Touch daily so I am very use to using a touchscreen. It reads library books and ePub and the screen is a nice size as well.

The only reservation I have is the screen washing out during the day. I tend to catch mass transit often and I would need the reader to work well on a bus that has lots of windows letting in lots of sunlight. I'm also a little concerned about the battery life of the Nook color, which I know is a lot less than the NC and the Sony. Although I imagine this is really only an issue if one is on a long flight or in a similar situation where charging is a challenge.

Has screen wash out been a huge issue for Nook Color owners or is it not really an issue? If you have both an eInk reader and a Nook Color, which one do you truly think is better for reading? Or are they about equal? in advance for your replies.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
No eye trouble with it here. Some people do get it, others don't. I'm lucky in that regard. I've not noticed and washout either. I get a full day's reading easily on one charge, though I turn off Wi-Fi if I'm not using it.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Device: Nook
I have both the nook classic and nook color. I prefer reading from the eink nook classic. I think it's lighter and has better battery life than the color. That's not to say that I don't love my color nook, but if I could only buy one and that one was to be used solely as an e-reader, then I would go with nook classic (I can't comment on the Sony since I've never used it). If you want to read magazines or play an app like "angry birds", then the nook color is great for that.

I also stare at a computer screen every day, all day, but I never found that that bothered me. But reading the nook color late at night in a dark room did bother me--no matter how I adjusted the brightness or background color. It just felt like I was looking at a monitor in the dark (which has never been a good thing for me).

As for washout, you will probably be fine during the day, though I wouldn't try it at the beach. If you're outside you just need to adjust the brightness.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Problems with LCDs do happen, but only for some people. I've never had an issue.

I've read on both the classic and the color, and prefer, overall, the color because the contrast is a bit better. However, in direct sunlight, the screen does wash out and can be hard to read. In a bus, I wouldn't expect a problem, since you won't be in direct sunlight, but preferences vary. Some people also complain that the brightness doesn't go down far enough for darkened rooms, though I can't complain on that.

Regardless of which one you get, it's a good idea to keep the WiFi turned off if you're not using it, to extend battery charge times. I get 5-6 hours of continuous reading on my color, with the brightness turned all the way up. If that's not enough, the classic might be a better choice.

The main reason to buy the color is because you need color.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I have an anti-glare screen cover on my Nook Color. I have had no trouble reading during the day while I have been passenger in a car. I also read it in my own car while I am waiting for someone or for some store to open up. With the anti-glare screen saver I haven't had any issues. I usually need to turn up my brightness to 60-70% (I usually keep it down around 15%) if reading in the daytime but that is the only issue I have found.
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
cmanbrazil
cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cmanbrazil has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook color
I say buy the one you like the best first, try it out on the train, and if you like it, keep it, if not return and move onto the next. That is generally my approach. I love the nook color, and I read on it maybe three hours or less at a time. I have up to about five hours.
cmanbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
The best advice that I received when I was in the market for an eReader was to go with your gut. Do the research and go with the one you feel the most comfortable. After all, it will be you that has to read using it. I came here often and soaked up everything that everyone was saying and then made my decision. I wound up choosing the NookColor and am so glad that I did!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiannaInVA View Post
If you want to read magazines or play an app like "angry birds", then the nook color is great for that.
Whoa, whoa! Before you send our OP off to do something she'll regret, let's make it clear that an NC won't play Angry Birds or any other game that isn't installed on it at the factory. To play any other games requires some extra effort called "rooting" to enable the NC to install other applications.

The NC does a lot of wonderful things but playing Angry Birds isn't one of them.
drv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:59 AM   #9
magicmonster
Groupie
magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.magicmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color, & Dell Axim X50v
You can install froyo on a micro sd card and then use it as a complete android tablet without effecting the original installation. You can remove the micro sd card and turn it off then back on and it is back up to original color nook system. And I have played Angry Birds on it!
magicmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:07 AM   #10
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Why would you even consider getting the Nook Color is you're going to read it in sunlight?

It's also more expensive and has a shorter battery life.

Just get the Sony or Nook classic.
OverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I too have both a rooted NC and the Nook e-ink. I prefer the e-ink Nook for reading, by far. I like the hard page turn buttons better than touch for turning pages, I find the e-ink much more comfortable and book-like for reading, and I like the Nook classic's screen stays fingerprint/smudge free.

That said, I can read on the NC and do sometimes. At night I prefer the Nook with a booklight, but sometimes I read on the NC at minimum brightness (I can see the flicker at min brightness though which bugs me at times).

It's really nice being able to sit outside and read on it. Nice when the kids are playing at the park and such. E-ink is wonderful in daylight.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #12
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTwo View Post
Why would you even consider getting the Nook Color is you're going to read it in sunlight?

It's also more expensive and has a shorter battery life.

Just get the Sony or Nook classic.
Because some people have said they don't have an issue with it? Because I wanted to get some owners view on how it fares in daylight and also because I don't always read in daylight?

Thank you for your helpful reply. It's really helped me make up my mind (in case you didn't realize, I'm being sarcastic right now).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, faithbw. I prefer my e-ink Sony for long reading sessions. I tried reading outside with the NC, but there was too much glare for me. B&N does make an anti-glare screen shield that some people have said helps (but slightly reduces screen clarity as a tradeoff). I like the NC in low-light conditions (like at night) since you can change the background colors and brightness. On the other hand, you can always get a clip-on light for the e-ink reader. The NC really does well with displaying magazines, which is one of my primary uses for it. The NC battery life should be ok for most US flights if you are just reading (it will be shorter if you use video too). Good luck with your decision!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 AM   #14
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I haven't really used my NC outside, so I can't speak to that - but I have been pleasantly surprised with the battery life. It's not up to EInk standards, but it's much better than I would have expected. It's my third LCD based reading device and I've never run out of power on it yet.

If you do go with one, I would suggest you consider rooting. Yes it makes a decent tab, but the biggest benefit I found was that I could install other reading apps - including ones that support using the volume controls as hard page turn buttons.

I'm happy with mine.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
DiannaInVA
Enthusiast
DiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of itDiannaInVA has read War And Peace ... all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by drv View Post
Whoa, whoa! Before you send our OP off to do something she'll regret, let's make it clear that an NC won't play Angry Birds or any other game that isn't installed on it at the factory. To play any other games requires some extra effort called "rooting" to enable the NC to install other applications.

The NC does a lot of wonderful things but playing Angry Birds isn't one of them.
Sorry, guess I should have said that I get those things because I rooted it...and once it's rooted it DOES play Angry Birds.

Last edited by DiannaInVA; 03-09-2011 at 05:40 PM.
DiannaInVA is offline   Reply With Quote