Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
margaretanne
margaretanne began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
How do I transfer ebooks from my pc to my android?

I have just acquired an HTC Desire and want to put some books from my pc onto it. How do I do this? Thanks
Margaret
Old 10-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretanne View Post
I have just acquired an HTC Desire and want to put some books from my pc onto it. How do I do this? Thanks
Margaret
Depends on the reader software you want to use and the formats you have.
For aldiko you need to put epub format books in ebooks\import for fbreaderj you can put them anywhere and just set that folder it will scan and add all the books in the folder.
Do you use calibre if not I would recommend using that for transferring ebook to your phone
Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
margaretanne
margaretanne began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Can someone spell it out for me in simple steps? I have Calibre, and Aldiko, but can't seem to make the transfer between the two.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Try Dropbox. Dropbox is a godsend for synchronizing/sharing files between home PC, laptop, work PC, friend's PC, smartphone, etc. They give you 2GB of storage for free. However, I have one favor to ask of you. If you use my referral link (below) when signing up, we both get an extra 250MB free.

Anyone else out there interested in signing up, I'd really, really appreciate it if you'd use this link for registering: http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTEwOTk3NTQzOQ

Thanks.

Last edited by SlowRain; 10-30-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 AM   #5
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Can someone spell it out for me in simple steps? I have Calibre, and Aldiko, but can't seem to make the transfer between the two.
I do not manage a library with Calibre, so I can not explain the specifics of Calibre. I use several different ways to move books between my Windows XP PC and my Desire, but probably the simplest to explain is a normal USB transfer.
1. Plug your Desire into your PC via the USB cable.
2. When the "Connect to PC" menu pops up on your Desire, select "Disk Drive".
3. "My Computer" should show a new disk drive connected to your PC.
4. If you have previously started Aldiko on your Desire, you should find a directory path \eBooks\import on your Desire visible via the USB connection to your PC.
5. Drag and drop your EPUB books (no DRM) into the \eBooks\import folder.
6. On your Desire, start Aldiko and then press the Desire Menu key. In the Menu select Import and follow the instruction prompts. Aldiko will place your new EPUB books on it's Bookshelf. It is a bit slow in doing that because it extracts thumbnails and meta information from each book that it imports.
7. You are done. Select a book and start reading.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
Prosto_IA
Маленький парижанец
Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I use Calibre to transfer books to my G1, where I read them through Aldiko: firstly, connect your phone via USB to the PC, and enable USB storage on your phone. If Calibre isn't already running, start it. Calibre should detect the attached phone. You can then simply select the desired books in your Calibre library, and choose the "Send To Device" function. Calibre is clever enough to find the \eBooks\import folder on your sd card, and send the books directly to it. You'll then need to tell Aldiko to import the books, as Dave_S describes above from point 6. As he says, it can take quite a bit of time.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #7
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosto_IA View Post
I use Calibre to transfer books to my G1, where I read them through Aldiko: firstly, connect your phone via USB to the PC, and enable USB storage on your phone. If Calibre isn't already running, start it. Calibre should detect the attached phone. You can then simply select the desired books in your Calibre library, and choose the "Send To Device" function. Calibre is clever enough to find the \eBooks\import folder on your sd card, and send the books directly to it. You'll then need to tell Aldiko to import the books, as Dave_S describes above from point 6. As he says, it can take quite a bit of time.
You can get "send to device" to work with your phone? How did you manage that? I always thought that "save to disk" was the only way with Android phones.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
Prosto_IA
Маленький парижанец
Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prosto_IA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
You can get "send to device" to work with your phone? How did you manage that?
I hit the button I've just now tried again, and it still works, too. Bear in mind you do then need to start Aldiko and use the import function as normal.

FWIW, I'm running Calibre version 0.7.20 (time to upgrade, probably) under Arch Linux, and CyanogenMod 6.0 on my phone.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:28 AM   #9
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosto_IA View Post
I hit the button I've just now tried again, and it still works, too. Bear in mind you do then need to start Aldiko and use the import function as normal.

FWIW, I'm running Calibre version 0.7.20 (time to upgrade, probably) under Arch Linux, and CyanogenMod 6.0 on my phone.
Oh. I last tried it several versions ago and it didn't work with any device I had then; the conventional response to queries about it here was to just use the save to disk function, so I've been doing it ever since.

I'm currently running 0.7.22 and it seems to have "Connect/Share" instead of the old "send to device", but when I tried it, I was indeed able to navigate to my phone's SD card. It behaved exactly like "send to disk" (which is still there), in fact, except it showed a notation next to the book that makes me think Calibre is keeping track of where it went.

Last edited by wayrad; 11-04-2010 at 07:37 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Just rereading this thread, I never realized Calibre was anything more than a format converter. I think I need to pop into the Calibre forum more often.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #11
SlowRain
Addict

Alternatively, you can also use SugarSync. It's similar to Dropbox, but you get 5GB free, with 500MB for people who sign up using this link: https://www.sugarsync.com/referral?rf=eg3qan4yhp4ry. Remember to install the system manager as that's the key to the bonus.

You may even want to use both Dropbox and SugarSync--one for e-books and one for video or music.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #12
SlowRain
Addict

And there's another one I've come across called ZumoDrive. It gives you 2GB for free and 250MB for referrals. Here's the link: http://zumo.cc/dr/dir/Z6zYjRkNT.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Seems this thread went south. Did you get your question answered or figure it out?
Old 12-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
And there's another one I've come across called ZumoDrive. It gives you 2GB for free and 250MB for referrals. Here's the link: http://zumo.cc/dr/dir/Z6zYjRkNT.
This is NOT ADDRESSING the issue at hand.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #15
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Calibre supports Android devices; however, its support is probably rudimentary. Your best bet is transferring the files like in any USB stick, and using apps like Aldiko, FBReaderJ or CoolReader to read them. In spite of the slight inadequacy of SlowRain's posts, his point is valid: cloud storage solutions like DropBox or SpiderOak have the advantage that you can keep your folder structure exactly as you want to: that is, you can take your Calibre Library and copy it into your Dropbox desktop folder provided that it takes less than 2 gigabytes or that you pay the Dropbox fees; nevertheless, the Dropbox Android app won't download the whole library on your phone, but it'll download the files in an on-request basis.
Closed Thread