Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
ragdoll
Connoisseur
ragdoll began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad V1
Will it be good for my tired eyes

For me, the main reason for buying an ebook reader is that I have to read a lot of electronic publications, don't want to have always too tired eyes and don't want to waste tons of paper.
I need some advice from you owners of ebook readers. Is it true that an ebook reader will tire my eyes not more than a normal book?
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it's just like reading a normal book. No flicker, no light coming from the screen; just a static image like the page of a book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Yes, much easier on the eyes than a backlit screen. Pretty much just like reading from paper.

Are you in the US? If you have a Borders or Sony Style store near you then you can see & try a Sony Reader (PRS-505). Even if that's not the device you decide on the screen will be similar.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
ragdoll
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Yes, much easier on the eyes than a backlit screen. Pretty much just like reading from paper.

Are you in the US? If you have a Borders or Sony Style store near you then you can see & try a Sony Reader (PRS-505). Even if that's not the device you decide on the screen will be similar.
No, sadly I'm not in the US. I live in Italy, there's no shop near me selling any ebook reader, because of that I need to do such silly question. But we have an official online dealer for the iLiad and that is the reader I want to buy.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
One Big Caveat!

You mentioned that you're wanting to use an e-ink device to read electronic publications, ragdoll -- are those e-dox in PDF, by any chance? Things get ... a bit more complicated for PDF files, and I would want you to know what's involved before you invested in particular device.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I see now that you're particularly considering the iLiad -- it's the generally considered to be the best currently available e-ink device for PDF files, but if that's what you're trying to view, there are still some things you'd be better off knowing in advance, but I'll let someone who has direct experience on the point address it.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
ragdoll
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I see now that you're particularly considering the iLiad -- it's the generally considered to be the best currently available e-ink device for PDF files, but if that's what you're trying to view, there are still some things you'd be better off knowing in advance, but I'll let someone who has direct experience on the point address it.
Yes, I think I will read almost only PDF. Are there any problems with that?
Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
PDFs are generally OK on the iLiad. Two threads with photos: Technical Document Examples and N00b questions.

Note that Secure Adobe e-books are not viewable on any current E-Ink device.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Not problems, as such, just things you ought to know about before you spend €650.

Mostly it's things like you'll have to read some PDFs in landscape mode to be able to see the text. Things that will add a step or three. Mainly I want you to be aware of them so that they don't surprise you after you've made a purchase, and so that you can decide ahead of time if you are willing to deal with them or not.

But like I said, I'd rather let someone who actually has an iLiad comment on the details from direct experience, as I'd just be working from memory of what others have said on the matter, and I don't want to take the chance of giving you faulty information.
Old 11-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #10
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
readability

Regarding readability. On Sunday I was showing someone my reader. They where skeptical about the technology saying they couldn't read off screens until they actually saw the display themselves. They looked at it for a few moments and then said "I want one". That says it for readability I think.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:21 AM   #11
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Yes, I think I will read almost only PDF. Are there any problems with that?
As Natch says, not really a problem, only consider that most pdf's are formatted to an A4 paper, and the iLiad's screen is more or less A5, so by default you see the pdf at about 50% zoom, so sometimes the text can be too small to read comfortably, then you need to increase the zoom (which is possible, just zooming enough to eliminate the margins is often enough), or rotate it sideways to landscape mode and then read the top half of a page, bottom half, and then the next page. The iLiad will let you do all that, but Natch wants you to bear in mind that you'll have to do that (which is good advice).
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:32 AM   #12
ragdoll
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaHuguet View Post
As Natch says, not really a problem, only consider that most pdf's are formatted to an A4 paper, and the iLiad's screen is more or less A5, so by default you see the pdf at about 50% zoom, so sometimes the text can be too small to read comfortably, then you need to increase the zoom (which is possible, just zooming enough to eliminate the margins is often enough), or rotate it sideways to landscape mode and then read the top half of a page, bottom half, and then the next page. The iLiad will let you do all that, but Natch wants you to bear in mind that you'll have to do that (which is good advice).
Thank you for your advices. I got some information on the reading of PDF's and especially technical documents, which will be the majority of the socuments I will read. I found out on this forum that there is a version of iPDF whichi gives the possibility to read multi-column documents autozooming on single columns.
This is the solution, so I don't have to worry about PDF, technical documents, etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll View Post
Thank you for your advices. I got some information on the reading of PDF's and especially technical documents, which will be the majority of the socuments I will read. I found out on this forum that there is a version of iPDF whichi gives the possibility to read multi-column documents autozooming on single columns.
This is the solution, so I don't have to worry about PDF, technical documents, etc.
Just so you know, nothing it PDF is every perfect. The PDF standard has many wrinkles and some of them are ugly. It can show its roots from PS and pagemaker. MobiPocket created an import PDF tool for their Windows reader because they could find nothing else and theirs also has significant problems and will not work on all documents or won't get the text and images in the correct order.

One of the biggest gatcha's is that PDF is also a container for images and these images can be scanned text so what you believe is text could be an image instead. This can be a big surprise when you try and convert the document.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote