Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
GelaSkin Quality

If you had any reservations about ordering a GelaSkin for your Kobo because you weren't sure of the quality - let me assuage your fears:

They are quality stuff.

GelaSkin is using genuine 3M Controltac(tm) adhesive sheets. I am not familiar with the printing process involved, but the color/dyes used are beautiful. I ordered a "Starry Night" by Van Gogh for my Kobo. I knew ahead of time that I would NOT be using the GelaSkin for the back of the "textured" Kobo - but just wanted the front "frame."

In reality, my use of the GelaSkin is purely cosmetic. I would not be highly irritated if I was responsible for a minor scratch on the front frame of my Kobo. And my screen is protected with a Zagg Invisible Shield.

GelaSkin products are offered on the Kobo corporate "accessories" Web page. No, they are not offering ONLY the "front" piece for a Kobo - right now.

Clint Bradford
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
roguefan99
Zealot
roguefan99 began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7, and Kobo
Only problem with Gelaskins is the price of shipping ($20US) for international. I was tempted to get a skin for my laptop from them as well as one for my ipod. Needless to say I did not end up getting one from them. If only they had the range in stores, but the ones they have here arent the ones I like

I do find their screen protectors do get scratched much eaiser than some other competitors (for the ipod) though, but thats when they are mistreated badly.
roguefan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I'm kinda interesting in people's opinions of the GelaSkin's cover for the back. I've only seen one picture of a Kobo with a skin on and with the lighting it seemed a bit odd.

If I'm spending $20 for the (mostly) cosmetic skin then I'd like to be covering a lot of the device. If anyone has pictures or opinions on the texture the skin adds to the back I'd love to hear/see/read about them

(It wouldn't be entirely cosmetic for me since there is a hairline crack in my Kobo's white casing, this would protect the crack)
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
wrenn1
Addict
wrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchforkwrenn1 can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kobo
I was at Chapters today and was holding my bare kobo in one hand and the demo with gelskin in the other. You could not tell the difference in the feel of the back. I was surprised. I think they look kind of 12 year old girl so I won't get one (since I am old old old) but the feel of the Kobo back is not affected by the GS in my opinion.
wrenn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #5
JPenguin
Connoisseur

Oh I didn't know they had them on display units at Chapters, perhaps I'll try finding one. I was planning on making a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy themed skin, perhaps a little cliché but I love the series.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I'm also happy with my Gelaskin. Keeping in mind that I'm probably a bit shallow , I adore the various Gelaskin prints -- the colours are wonderfully vivid, and sometimes even brighter than the online photos suggest. If your style tends towards the minimalist, they came come across as gaudy. A big plus in their favour is that they're easy to remove, and leave behind hardly any residue, if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
If anyone has pictures or opinions on the texture the skin adds to the back I'd love to hear/see/read about them
Grr. I can't find it now, but somebody posted a few weeks ago a link to photos of a Gelaskin-covered Kobo, including photos of its back. It was that which helped sway my decision to buy one.

In any case, the Gelaskin-covered back feels similar enough to it without. I can feel some slight difference in that it feels slightly glossier or smoother, but my fingertips can still feel the texture of the Kobo's quilted back when holding the Kobo.

Quote:
I was planning on making a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy themed skin, perhaps a little cliché but I love the series.
A DON'T PANIC skin would be awesome.

Last edited by viviena; 07-19-2010 at 10:55 PM. Reason: fixing up errors
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
leighisme
Connoisseur
leighisme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4, iPad2
I have a gelaskin on my Kobo, and I covered the back too. You can still feel the quilt pattern, but the texture is glossy. Although I love the design, I'm actually not really happy with the skin - it's so glossy that it makes my hands sweat. I may just peel it off...
leighisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:48 AM   #8
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
I have bought 3 Gelaskins for iPhones and iPod Touches. One was a custom one containing a picture of our own. They work very well, and can even be reapplied if you have to swap devices.

Thoroughly recommended.
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I bought a GelaSkin for mine and I have it on the back (I keep worrying that my nails are going to dig into the soft backing) and find that it doesn't take away from the "quilted feel" at all. I think it actually improves my grip. It's smooth and I can still see all the little quilted bumps all over the back through the sticker.

(I posted this in the other thread as well, I didn't realize there were 2 )
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
Tom Bombadil
Tom Bombadil doesn't litterTom Bombadil doesn't litter

Device: EeePC, nook 3G, kobo1, DSi, DS Lite, Sony PRS-350.
From my limited gelaskin and decalgirl experience, I prefer the gelaskin. The only plus of the latter is matte option, and that's probably it. The gelaskin on my Kobo felt slightly thicker than the decalgirl on my nook, and most importantly the fit is spot on without 'stretching' and the decalgirl matte is more prone to scratches, as there's already a roller mark (maybe from the post office machine) clearly visible from every angle, but that's not their fault, and I'll survive that. Oh, btw the matte of decalgirl does reduce reflection from LED booklight alot. That's a plus.

I was pulling my hair out when applying decalgirl on the nook. Maybe the kobo is a simpler device? I don't know, I won't be testing nook gelaskin soon because of the $20 shipping to Australia. Kobo gelaskin otoh, is available at local Borders, but with very limited choice.

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 07-20-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
JPenguin
Connoisseur

Thumbs up

With GelaSkin's 20% off black Friday sale I finally put together my design for my Kobo and it arrived today:

I've only put the front on so far on my Kobo Original, the back has the the same theme but the thumb logo and DON'T PANIC are bigger (I'm sure it's terribly unoriginal to do a HHGTG themed skin for an eReader but I couldn't resist :P). I'm considering getting a black WiFi one and giving my mom the original which is why I went with black on the skin but I actually quite like the look on the white Kobo.

One thing I'll point out to anyone considering a custom made skin: they will overlay the button text for the 4 buttons on the left, these will be from the original Kobo so in the case of owners of a Kobo Wifi the "Shop" button will now be labelled "Display". I had actually put in my own text for the buttons (with the Wifi labeling to future-proof upgrading) so I've ended up with my text partially overwritten with their text although it isn't too bad but I thought it's worth the heads up for anyone else.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #12
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenguin View Post
With GelaSkin's 20% off black Friday sale I finally put together my design for my Kobo and it arrived today:
they are actually 50% off now at chapters.. I really don't see a point for them, particularly for the back, but the wife wanted to be able to identify hers as opposed to mine or our daughters.

And I still don't get why the kobo's themselves are fully colored in their advertised color, rather than just the back....
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
La Coccinelle
Connoisseur
La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.La Coccinelle has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo (original)
They're cool... but I have no desire to put one on the back of my Kobo. Until they offer an option where you can just buy the front piece, my Kobo will remain unadorned.
La Coccinelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelaskins, kobo, protector, screen