Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #61
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKate View Post
I think some important information is missing. I just realized many more appear to hold their reader in their left hand. Of those who hold their reader in their left hand how many are left handed?

I'm right handed and read with my tablet in my left hand.
I'm right-handed, and almost always hold the tablet in my left hand when standing or sitting. When reading in bed, I just have to be careful where I hold the tablet, so I don't beat myself to death with it if I start to nod off.
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #62
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I change the settings on my Kobos so that the entire bottom is a page-forward tap, so I can hold it in my left hand and tap wth my thumb just past the bezel to advance. Page back is the top of the screen so I use my right hand, but I don't need that much.
thats exactly how i set mine up so i can read with either hand but prefer to hold in left hand and use thumb to turn page
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2016, 04:05 PM   #63
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
Quote:
I think some important information is missing. I just realized many more appear to hold their reader in their left hand. Of those who hold their reader in their left hand how many are left handed?

I'm right handed and read with my tablet in my left hand.
left handed prefer to hold in left hand
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:30 PM   #64
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Be careful buying a Rev 1 Kobo Aura One - there are significant hardware quality control issues with the first devices off the production line, especially with the colour of the warmer lighting (green/red splotches, much like the first frontlit Kindle). If you can look at the device you're buying instore, put a hoodie over you & the device and turn the night lighting up to check it before buying, that would be ideal.
There is no indication that there will be a rev 2. For all we know, the next batch of the Aura One could be the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:31 PM   #65
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
I thought nothing would pry my kindle from my hand, but wow very interesting. I will see where I can get my hands on them here in Australia. I need to hold them and see how they would work for me. The price of the Aura One makes me gasp, but it is very tempting I just have to see.

Thank you so very much, I had kindle blinkers on .
How large do you have the text on your Kindle? Even the H2O at 6.8" is still going to be better for larger text than any 6" Kindle.
Advert
Old 11-18-2016, 06:44 PM   #66
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How large do you have the text on your Kindle? Even the H2O at 6.8" is still going to be better for larger text than any 6" Kindle.
LOL JSWolf, I used to read on my IPaq starting around 2000. It was tiny and black and white, (by 2003 when I got my h3600 and h3900 the screen was 3.78 inches with a 240x320 resolution 64K color and allowed for sd cards ).

I could bump the font size up although my sight was not nearly as bad back then as it is now. I officially switched to a tablet in 2012 although I have read on my pc screen as well as on the iPaq from the late 90s.

Coming from that small of an iPaq screen, thinking a 6" screen small is laughable. I do like my 7" Samsung tablet. It is only a tad taller (about 3/4 of an inch) than a paperback and almost exactly as wide although it is 9.74 oz as compared to around 7 to 9 oz for a paperback.

I don't think I would enjoy a larger screen size. I find that 7" is just about right.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #67
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
I also use a fairly large font size (3rd largest in Paperwhite) and would enjoy a larger screen so as not have to swipe as often. On the other hand, the 6in screen is just about right for portability. Any larger may not be as easy to take everywhere.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:37 AM   #68
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
LOL JSWolf, I used to read on my IPaq starting around 2000. It was tiny and black and white, (by 2003 when I got my h3600 and h3900 the screen was 3.78 inches with a 240x320 resolution 64K color and allowed for sd cards ).
I used to read pdb format ebooks on a Palm Pilot back in the late 90's. Bumping the font size up to where I could read it now, I'd be lucky to fit a short sentence on the screen. Going by memory (a bit dangerous these days), I think the LCD portion of the screen was 3.3" diagonal with 160x160 pixels so ~68dpi in glorious 4 bit grey.

I don't think I'll be dropping my KA1 any time soon.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #69
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
where did you find the neat looking ebook rests (the wood grained one especially).
The top one was a Christmas gift, but they do sell them on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Ipevo-PadPill.../dp/B017VRDPJW

The second one was from IKEA: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10282075/#

I bought it for about $4, but it looks like it is $16 on the website, so I don't know if I got some sort of deal at the local store or if the price on it went up.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't think I would enjoy a larger screen size. I find that 7" is just about right.
The H2O is almost 7" at 6.8". So from what you've said, the H2O would be the best screen size for you.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
I also use a fairly large font size (3rd largest in Paperwhite) and would enjoy a larger screen so as not have to swipe as often. On the other hand, the 6in screen is just about right for portability. Any larger may not be as easy to take everywhere.
I find the H2O is no less portable than the T1 (6" screen) I used to use.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #72
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The H2O is almost 7" at 6.8". So from what you've said, the H2O would be the best screen size for you.
Perhaps if I start to read outside. I find my 7" samsung Tab 4 (bought two of them a year or so ago) works great. I like having a backup tablet because I do read on my tablet in the bathtub (not recommended I know lol).

My prefered way to read is with the lights off. The same as the way I prefer using my computer.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:11 AM   #73
LadyKate
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I used to read pdb format ebooks on a Palm Pilot back in the late 90's. Bumping the font size up to where I could read it now, I'd be lucky to fit a short sentence on the screen. Going by memory (a bit dangerous these days), I think the LCD portion of the screen was 3.3" diagonal with 160x160 pixels so ~68dpi in glorious 4 bit grey.

I don't think I'll be dropping my KA1 any time soon.
I must admit that prior to 2003 my eyesight was much better. I actually just threw out four iPaq's this year. They still turned on but were not worth the effort anymore and I hadn't used them for at least five years. I switched to tablets around that time.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #74
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
My KPW never leaves its case except for the occasional cleaning, and the case folds out as a stand or can be pinned flat with a full-length elastic strap on the back. If I'm sitting, I'm generally using the stand. If I'm standing or lying down, I use the strap or just kind of tangle my fingers in the case in a variety of configurations. I use either/both/no hands, but am likely to have it strapped to my left if I'm using public transit or waiting in line.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote