Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #46
gilster
Connoisseur
gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'gilster knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle
I think I've missed something. My dictionaries are being overwritten, but I don't understand how to apply this patch. Where does the inserted text go? Would love to solve this problem. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
For anyone having issues with read-only overridden dictionaries being overwritten, use this temporary patch for now (4.20.14622):

Code:
Never sync dictionaries:
- Enabled: no
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 0x6108B0, FindH: 0CD5, ReplaceH: 0CE0} #permissions
- ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x61089A, FindH: FFF68DAE} #size
- ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0x610878, FindH: 3FF49EAE} #isSynced
And a multi-version one (4.20.14601+) (kobopatch v0.15.0+):
Code:
Never sync dictionaries:
- Enabled: no
- BaseAddress:  {Sym: "SyncDictionariesCommand::prepareDownloadList()"}
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 1048, FindH: 0CD5,     ReplaceH: 0CE0}         #permissions
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset: 1026, FindH: FFF68DAE, ReplaceInstNOP: true}   #size
- ReplaceBytes: {Offset:  992, FindH: 3FF49EAE, ReplaceInstNOP: true}   #isSynced
I think I've almost figured out why this is happening.

Thanks to Alanon for helping to debug this!
gilster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #47
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilster View Post
I think I've missed something. My dictionaries are being overwritten, but I don't understand how to apply this patch. Where does the inserted text go? Would love to solve this problem. Thanks!
That goes in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml from the patch zips (see the patch thread). You'll need to use the first non-multi-version variant, as I haven't included v0.15.0 in the zips yet.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2020, 03:15 AM   #48
Tammuz91
Tammuz91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
First of all, I want to thank you for this amazing project and all the efforts put towards the developing of software to better the user experience.
I've been using dictutil (and related utilities) since you released them and I love how simple it is to use it.

I have one question regarding dictzip: is it possible to unzip the official dictionaries and/or to merge them to other sources?
Tammuz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #49
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
My custom dictionaries show up in the dictionary-list, but they show 0 B?
In the language & dictionaries setup an error show up "dictionaries not downloaded yet. synchronize to install" - but also after the sync they show 0 B.
Have you got ideas how to handle this?

Last edited by the_Pan; 04-25-2020 at 12:44 PM.
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:35 PM   #50
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_Pan View Post
My custom dictionaries show up in the dictionary-list, but they show 0 B?
In the language & dictionaries setup an error show up "dictionaries not downloaded yet. synchronize to install" - but also after the sync they show 0 B.
Have you got ideas how to handle this?
That's a firmware bug, but it's only cosmetic. There's not really much that can be done about it.
Advert
Old 04-25-2020, 09:37 PM   #51
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammuz91 View Post
First of all, I want to thank you for this amazing project and all the efforts put towards the developing of software to better the user experience.
I've been using dictutil (and related utilities) since you released them and I love how simple it is to use it.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I have one question regarding dictzip: is it possible to unzip the official dictionaries and/or to merge them to other sources?
Anything's possible. But I won't be saying much on this subject. Note that if you want a good English dictionary to merge with a custom one, my converted Webster's 1913 one is quite comprehensive and detailed (and even has words which the built-in one doesn't).
Old 04-26-2020, 03:59 AM   #52
the_Pan
Connoisseur
the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.the_Pan is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Forma, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
That's a firmware bug, but it's only cosmetic. There's not really much that can be done about it.
Ooh, you're right, it's working! I didn't recognize that (and used the wrong words for searching)
Thanks a lot
the_Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:09 AM   #53
Tammuz91
Tammuz91 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
You're welcome.

Anything's possible. But I won't be saying much on this subject. Note that if you want a good English dictionary to merge with a custom one, my converted Webster's 1913 one is quite comprehensive and detailed (and even has words which the built-in one doesn't).

Thank you ver much, actually I've been playing with different sources for a few days and even made my own dictionary. Thank you so much!
Tammuz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #54
geek1011
Wizard

I've released v0.3.0. This version changes the Windows builds to 64-bit to support larger dictfiles and reduce virus scanner false positives, clarifies the documentation, adds an option to hide the source footer added by Nickel with certain locales, refactors the internal Marisa bindings, and makes some small improvements to the code.

Last edited by geek1011; 05-05-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:11 AM   #55
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
Can this new version fix the problem of dictionary with more than 65K html files (like Chinese or Japanese dictionaries)? These dictionaries cannot be recognized by Kobo device.
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:42 AM   #56
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
Can this new version fix the problem of dictionary with more than 65K html files (like Chinese or Japanese dictionaries)? These dictionaries cannot be recognized by Kobo device.
No, it can't fix those ones. This fix is only for large dictfiles used as source content for dictgen. It's not possible to fix Kobo's support for large dictionaries, even with a patch.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #57
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Can I install custom translation dict (specifically, en-zh) using this without having Kobo replaces them during sync?

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:12 AM   #58
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I am using a custom English dictionary, replacing the builtin one, and another one replacing the German builtin dictionary. Both work fine.

My problem (OK, annoyance) is that Nickel insists I have a French-English translation dictionary installed when I use the dictionary. It shows it in the dictionary popup list, but claims 'You do not have a French dictionary installed' when I try to use it.

And it's absolutely correct, I don't. How do I get rid of that entry in the popup list? Installing the dictionary and uninstalling it doesn't help; the settings show it as not installed, but the popup list still shows it.

Like I said, more an annoyance than anything else, but I'd like to fix it nonetheless...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #59
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I am using a custom English dictionary, replacing the builtin one, and another one replacing the German builtin dictionary. Both work fine.
Do you mean you're on firmware 14622, has custom dicthtml-en and dicthtml-de, and they ain't getting automatically replaced every time you sync?

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #60
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by loyukfai View Post
Do you mean you're on firmware 14622, has custom dicthtml-en and dicthtml-de, and they ain't getting automatically replaced every time you sync?
Not with the 'Never sync dictionaries' patch from earlier in the thread.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictgen, dicthtml, dictionaries, dictionary, dictutil