Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
New Dune Movie Still On For December Release

The new movie is still showing a December 2020 release date according to Vanity Fair. It also looks like it is actually going to be two movies. The article from TOR is here:
https://www.tor.com/2020/04/14/every...8daca66453a1ba
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:49 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I didn't even know there's going to be a new movie. Actually I'm not really a Dune fan (read the novel years ago and was like meh, for some reason the world and the characters just didn't grow on me), but I'm certainly going to watch the movies. Thanks for the tip.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2020, 04:38 PM   #3
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Now THAT is some excellent news!

....and then I went and read the article. Great, a climate change movie. Just what I wanted, more crazy stuff shoved down my throat.

Well, my expectations have now been shifted into the appropriate "low gear"...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:17 PM   #4
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
I have the 4.5 hour director's cut Dune movie done some years ago by the SF channel and consider it to be the best Dune done so far. I also have the only 4 hour regular version of it.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:41 AM   #5
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
Dune is a tough film to make. So much of the book was what the characters were thinking and planning to themselves. Since I loved the books, I actually didn't mind the movie version, but I might be in the minority there. I never saw the miniseries, and I certainly have the time now, so I think it is on the top of the list.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2020, 09:00 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The new movie is still showing a December 2020 release date according to Vanity Fair. It also looks like it is actually going to be two movies. The article from TOR is here:
https://www.tor.com/2020/04/14/every...8daca66453a1ba
Apache
WOW, somebody didn't do any research or even glance at the damn novel!

Quote:
...It’s attracted some criticism over the years for some of his portrayals: women don’t play as big a role...
Uh...what? Someone else who read it as the basic Hero's Journey action-adventure book, rather than what it was/is.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:55 AM   #7
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
Now THAT is some excellent news!

....and then I went and read the article. Great, a climate change movie. Just what I wanted, more crazy stuff shoved down my throat.

Well, my expectations have now been shifted into the appropriate "low gear"...
Wow, how can you be salty about the climate change topic "shoved down your throat" that's already in a book that was written over 45 years ago?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Wow, how can you be salty about the climate change topic "shoved down your throat" that's already in a book that was written over 45 years ago?
Quite right. Making 'the desert bloom' on Arrakis was a central motivation for the Fremen. A dream which, if achieved, would destroy the commercial value of the place. It's one of the primary sources of dramatic tension in the novels.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Frank Herbert wasn't writing about climate change 45 years ago. The "environmental" topics he discussed were different. It's this current article that mentioned that.

FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Dune will premiere here tomorrow. I'm going to see it with my sister on the weekend.

The Foundation should come out next week (yes, I know they made a lot of changes, but I'm still interested) and The Wheel of Time in November. Good times ahead.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:36 AM   #11
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Looking forward to this also. I tried reading the books a few years ago, but like a previous poster, I could not get into them.

Lucky you watching it tomorrow. Not due for release here in Australia until 2 December, that is if we ever get out of lockdown.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote