Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 09-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #1711
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umesh View Post
Hello Mr. Willus Sir. Thank you for the software. If worked great for me for quite sometime, but now if I select the option of 'postprocess with ghostscript', the application crashes. This option worked fine on the day that I had earlier installed Ghostscript PostScript and PDF Interpreter. Could you list a possible solution and also could you please give a link to the precise exe file of Ghostscript that needs to be installed.
Regards,
Umesh
Can you maybe post a screen shot of the crash--what it looks like? Yes, I can see where it might crash if it cannot correctly find the Ghostscript DLL--I'll put that on my bug list. It should put up a dialog box saying it can't run Ghostscript.

It looks for the Ghostscript DLL by:
1. Looking in the Windows registry for the GS_DLL key.
2. Looking for gsdll64.dll, gswin64c.exe, gsdll32.dll, or gswin32c.exe in a number common locations, e.g. "c:\Program Files\gs", etc.
3. Looking those files in the folder pointed to by the environment variable WILLUSGS_PATH

What location did you install Ghostscript in?
willus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #1712
zslengyel
zslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the roughzslengyel is a jewel in the rough

Device: Boox Nova 2 (Pocketbook Inkpad3 740, Kindle Paperwhite 3)
Hello,
I don't know if it's related to the previous post, but I just realized, that GS post-processing crashes every time I pass k2 a file that contains non-Western characters in its name. See screenshot. It works fine, if I change the name.
https://zslengyel.web.elte.hu/szemet/scr0003.jpg

(Sorry, if it was already reported.)
zslengyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #1713
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat
willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.willus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zslengyel View Post
Hello,
I don't know if it's related to the previous post, but I just realized, that GS post-processing crashes every time I pass k2 a file that contains non-Western characters in its name. See screenshot. It works fine, if I change the name.
https://zslengyel.web.elte.hu/szemet/scr0003.jpg

(Sorry, if it was already reported.)
Thank you for letting me know and for the detail. I've added this to my bug list.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:53 AM   #1714
hugleo
hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: kobo glo
I got a problem converting a pdf file.

You can look the by the images converted using k2pdfopt and the original that is missing the break lines for text:

"Problema 26.", "Problema 27.", "Problema 34.", "Problema 35." and "b) Mostre que se n é ı́mpar vale:
".

k2pdfopt:

Original:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bp.png
Views:	904
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	174390   Click image for larger version

Name:	original.png
Views:	956
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	174391  

Last edited by hugleo; 10-20-2019 at 08:56 AM.
hugleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:07 PM   #1715
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugleo View Post
I got a problem converting a pdf file.

You can look the by the images converted using k2pdfopt and the original that is missing the break lines for text: ...
This is a known deficiency in k2pdfopt that others have pointed out to me. If I get a chance, I'll try to add an option where line spacing variation can control when to terminate text re-flow. For now I'm afraid I don't have a good answer other than to maybe try the -mode fw option.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #1716
hugleo
hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.hugleo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by willus View Post
This is a known deficiency in k2pdfopt that others have pointed out to me. If I get a chance, I'll try to add an option where line spacing variation can control when to terminate text re-flow. For now I'm afraid I don't have a good answer other than to maybe try the -mode fw option.
Hmm, looks like the -mode fw doesn't support reflow the text. That implies if I have a sufficient large device in landscape mode to read the text.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	reflow.png
Views:	867
Size:	360.1 KB
ID:	174524  
hugleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #1717
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugleo View Post
Hmm, looks like the -mode fw doesn't support reflow the text. That implies if I have a sufficient large device in landscape mode to read the text.
Correct.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:32 PM   #1718
napoletano
napoletano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2018?
Thank you, Willus! Your program is absolutely brilliant, and has saved my eyes as well as vast tracks of forests destined to be turned into paper to print the countless PDF files I would have otherwise been unable to read on my kindle.

I noticed that the wiki is still pretty empty, and that searching this forum can sometimes be a bit clunky, especially when you're not entirely sure how to explain the problem you're having. For instance, scanned books with crooked pages were becoming the bane of my existence, and I'm still not sure whether the collection of search terms I eventually came up with led me to the best solution.

In any case, thanks a ton for giving us such a helpful program!
napoletano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #1719
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by napoletano View Post
Thank you, Willus! Your program is absolutely brilliant, and has saved my eyes as well as vast tracks of forests destined to be turned into paper to print the countless PDF files I would have otherwise been unable to read on my kindle.

I noticed that the wiki is still pretty empty, and that searching this forum can sometimes be a bit clunky, especially when you're not entirely sure how to explain the problem you're having. For instance, scanned books with crooked pages were becoming the bane of my existence, and I'm still not sure whether the collection of search terms I eventually came up with led me to the best solution.

In any case, thanks a ton for giving us such a helpful program!
Thanks. If you'd like to post post an example of the scanned pages and the command-line options you're using, I'd be happy to have a look.
Old 12-25-2019, 02:03 AM   #1720
lycantrophix
lycantrophix began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Hello, thanks for this amazing program Willus. I'm having a trouble with using it, the books i convert are fine overall, the lines connect fine, however, the lines at footnotes with lower font are broken from the middle, and I couldn't get them to reflow to connect; is there a way to fix that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ekran Alıntısı.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	175871  
lycantrophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #1721
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycantrophix View Post
Hello, thanks for this amazing program Willus. I'm having a trouble with using it, the books i convert are fine overall, the lines connect fine, however, the lines at footnotes with lower font are broken from the middle, and I couldn't get them to reflow to connect; is there a way to fix that?
Can you post the source PDF file or a few example pages from the source file?
Old 12-26-2019, 03:57 AM   #1722
lycantrophix
lycantrophix began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Thanks. Only the footnotes are problem. Other than that whole conversion is great with the above settings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Joseph Campbell - Kahramanın Sonsuz Yolculuğu.pdf (7.00 MB, 2834 views)
lycantrophix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #1723
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycantrophix View Post
Thanks. Only the footnotes are problem. Other than that whole conversion is great with the above settings.
It's the footnote numbers / indenting that cause the issue. Because the rest of the footnote is indented from the number, the algorithm in k2pdfopt forces a new line for each line of text (it does this for any indented text). You'll notice that the footnote on page 22 (not numbered) is re-flowed more naturally. Unfortunately there is presently no option in k2pdfopt to disable or modify this behavior.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:36 PM   #1724
Kule
Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Kule My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony DPT-RP1
Hi Willus,

I experienced an issue with highlighted text. Basically, I read some articles, mark important sentences with the pen tool (default) in Acrobat DC. When I convert via K2PDF I get the desired result, only without any marks?!?

Can you please check, files and settings are attached. Maybe something is wrong with my settings.

Thanks for the help and kudos for the great app!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	K2PDF settings.png
Views:	178
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	176240  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Original-Marked.pdf (218.6 KB, 166 views)
File Type: pdf Converted result.pdf (198.1 KB, 187 views)
Kule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:32 PM   #1725
willus
Fuzzball, the purple cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kule View Post
Hi Willus,

I experienced an issue with highlighted text. Basically, I read some articles, mark important sentences with the pen tool (default) in Acrobat DC. When I convert via K2PDF I get the desired result, only without any marks?!?

Can you please check, files and settings are attached. Maybe something is wrong with my settings.

Thanks for the help and kudos for the great app!
Hmmm. Interesting case. I don't know why the native-mode output doesn't pick up the highlighter marks (I'll try to look into it when I get a chance). It does pick them up if you do -mode copy, but then you end up with bitmapped output:

k2pdfopt -mode copy source.pdf

Did you want the output to be nearly the same size as the input? Doesn't seem much point to using k2pdfopt for that. You can separate the columns:

k2pdfopt -mode 2col source.pdf

...or to see your highlights (bitmapped output):

k2pdfopt -mode 2col -c -n- source.pdf

I've attached the result from the last option.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf source_k2opt.pdf (1.40 MB, 198 views)

Tags
ebook apps, k5 tools, kindle tools, kindle touch, tools