Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #31
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Arrow Workaround for kepub stylesheet issue

As Kobo has not pulled the firmware update yet (and just in case they don't fix it in the next version), I have added an option to kepubify to work around this issue by inlining the styles (just add the --inline-styles option to kepubify).

Last edited by geek1011; 11-04-2018 at 05:35 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #32
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
As Kobo has not pulled the firmware update yet (and just in case they don't fix it in the next version), I have added an option to kepubify to work around this issue by inlining the styles (just add the --inline-styles option to kepubify).
Blasphemer! From which you may get the correct impression that I abhor in-line styles.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 05:25 PM   #33
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Blasphemer! From which you may get the correct impression that I abhor in-line styles.
Me, too! Get thee behind me, Satan!
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #34
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, yes. I hate inline styles too, but they are the only solution to this issue. Unless you'd rather I have them even more inline (as in style attributes on each tag).
Old 11-04-2018, 05:35 PM   #35
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, yes. I hate inline styles too, but they are the only solution to this issue. Unless you'd rather I have them even more inline (as in style attributes on each tag).
Oh! I thought that's what you meant you'd done with your --inline-styles option. I take it you actually mean you've copied the stylesheet contents into a <head> <style> tag?

Incidentally, I haven't experienced any problems with the earlier 4.11.11911 firmware myself. I don't use a PIN-code, so that might be one reason, but no freezing at all. Mind you, it might also be a factor that I know all my epub/kepubs are 100% error-free. It's not a hardship for me to stay on 4.11.11911 indefinitely.
Advert
Old 11-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #36
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Oh! I thought that's what you meant you'd done with your --inline-styles option. I take it you actually mean you've copied the stylesheet contents into a <head> <style> tag?
Yes, I put it into a <style> tag. See here for the details: https://github.com/geek1011/kepubify...pub.go#L71-L78

Quote:
Incidentally, I haven't experienced any problems with the 4.11.11911 firmware myself. I don't use a PIN-code, so that might be one reason, but no freezing at all. Mind you, it might also be a factor that I know all my epub/kepubs are 100% error-free.
This is 4.11.11976, not 4.11.11911. My epubs/kepubs are 100% error-free too (I fix each one by hand).
Old 11-04-2018, 05:41 PM   #37
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This is 4.11.11976, not 4.11.11911.
Yes, I know. My implication was that temporarily reverting to 4.11.11911 is an acceptable solution for me.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:43 PM   #38
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, I know. My implication was that temporarily reverting to 4.11.11911 is an acceptable solution for me.
Oh, I see what you mean. That is another solution. For me, I like to keep to the newest version, especially because I do the patch updates.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:51 PM   #39
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Incidentally, I haven't experienced any problems with the earlier 4.11.11911 firmware myself. I don't use a PIN-code, so that might be one reason, but no freezing at all. Mind you, it might also be a factor that I know all my epub/kepubs are 100% error-free. It's not a hardship for me to stay on 4.11.11911 indefinitely.
I can only guess, but I have to imagine the freezing is related to the PIN setting. I haven't seen it myself without the PIN being on, and can easily replicate it and disable it with that one setting. It's as easy as flicking a lightswitch.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #40
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I can only guess, but I have to imagine the freezing is related to the PIN setting. I haven't seen it myself without the PIN being on, and can easily replicate it and disable it with that one setting. It's as easy as flicking a lightswitch.
I think someone else was having problems with a PDF constantly freezing. I've been avoiding PDF on eink for years so this may be another reason for my lack of problems. As it happens I did, very briefly, try a couple of PDFs on the Forma, with no freezing (probably with 4.11.11911). BTW, I found them surprisingly readable in landscape mode with the page turn buttons being able to navigate between top-of-page, bottom-of-page.

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-04-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:19 AM   #41
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think someone else was having problems with a PDF constantly freezing. I've been avoiding PDF on eink for years so this may be another reason for my lack of problems. As it happens I did, very briefly, try a couple of PDFs on the Forma, with no freezing (probably with 4.11.11911). BTW, I found them surprisingly readable in landscape mode with the page turn buttons being able to navigate between top-of-page, bottom-of-page.
My issue with taking PDF crashes seriously is that the format itself isn't well regulated. And it's always been problematic at best on eink. Sure some apps, koreader for one, deal with those problems better than others but the problems are there.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:44 AM   #42
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
I had a freeze shortly after doing a reset. I sync'd some Kobo books, I may have opening one or two of these to test, can't remember. But the freeze occurred at one of the settings screens. I believe I unchecked "Automatically share" under Energy Savings, and the freeze happened shortly after. Had to power off and on. I had no PDFs on the device. Had not set a PIN. This was with 4.11.11911.

Last edited by k9reeder; 11-05-2018 at 05:54 AM. Reason: added firmware
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #43
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I've had several freezes on the .11911, and when thinking back, probably on PDFs. I've so many PDF's I'd given up on that I gorged myself with them when I first got the Forma.

It is MUCH better there, but I'm still slightly annoyed that I mostly have 3 forwards per page, the last one for a couple of lines more. It looks like Kobo adjusts systematically to page width. I'd rather have some margins and just two half-pages (with some overlap of course to not have one line cut across two screens).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #44
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9reeder View Post
I had a freeze shortly after doing a reset. I sync'd some Kobo books, I may have opening one or two of these to test, can't remember. But the freeze occurred at one of the settings screens. I believe I unchecked "Automatically share" under Energy Savings, and the freeze happened shortly after. Had to power off and on. I had no PDFs on the device. Had not set a PIN. This was with 4.11.11911.
But can you replicate this? Without replication it’s possible there was a software crash of some sort which caused the freeze but its source isn’t known.

The PIN bug can be replicated.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #45
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
But can you replicate this?
No, just suggesting there may be something else going on, aside from PDFs and PIN setting, triggering freezes. I wasn't keeping track, just setting up the device after a reset.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote