Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-14-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
What does saving a "poorly formed" epub do?

I was working on an epub. Making a lot of changes. Doing the 'mend and prettify' option and saving a lot. Everything going along nicely. Then when I went to save one time I got a warning window saying the epub was not properly formatted (or something like that, maybe 'properly formed') and it said somethig about fixing it etc. and that I might lose some data. I Xed out of the window, thinking that would give me time to see what the problem was, but when I did, the bottom of the screen said something like 'epub saved but you may have lost a small amount of data.'

Questions:
1) Why did it save it when I just Xed out of the window?
2) What should I have chosen to not save it if I get that window again?
3) If I get that window again and get out of it without saving it, will checking the Tools>'Well-formed check epub' tool tell me what's wrong?
4) (and i realize this is unanswerable in a concrete way) What are the chances I lost a lot of data?
5) What is the typical data loss in that situation?

Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Are you sure there was any data loss at all? That warning was really a leftover from when Tidy was used. Are you sure any save was made at all? Have you checked the modification date/time on that file to be sure. Do you have the Mend on Save set in your preferences?
Wasn't there a Cancel Button on that warning dialog?

If you use Preview, it will show any well formed errors as you go. Yes you can use the well-formed check to find errors.

As for typical loss, I have seen nothing at all lost, and at worst a short piece of html code xml escaped and treated as text. Typically this is very easy to see.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is this the message you saw:

Code:
        if (ss.cleanOn() & CLEANON_SAVE) {
            if (not_well_formed) {
                QApplication::restoreOverrideCursor();
                bool auto_fix = QMessageBox::Yes == QMessageBox::warning(this,
                                tr("Sigil"),
                                tr("This EPUB has HTML files that are not well formed and "
                                   "your current Clean Source preferences are set to automatically mend on Save. "
                                   "Saving a file that is not well formed will cause it to be automatically "
                                   "fixed, which very rarely may result in data loss.\n\n"
                                   "Do you want to automatically mend the files before saving?"),
                                QMessageBox::Yes|QMessageBox::No);
                QApplication::setOverrideCursor(Qt::WaitCursor);
                if (auto_fix) {
                    CleanSource::ReformatAll(resources, CleanSource::Mend);
                    not_well_formed = false;
                }
            } else {
            }
        }
If so you should probably have simply selected the "No" button and it will abort the mend and just save whatever broken code you had. If you say, "Yes" it will mend all files on save as instructed by your preference settings.

Auto cleaning on save is equivalent to running Mend (with no prettify) on every xhtml file. If you typically use that anyway, I would simply look at the very last xhtml you edited without running mend to make sure it looks okay after reopening the epub.

Last edited by KevinH; 12-14-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I see this a lot. I think there is a Calibre plugin (Polish or Embed) that uses a header that Sigil does not like.
Code:
<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?--><html xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
is found after accepting.

I also use Modifyepub (kiwidudes version) and never used to see a complaint
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:51 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
3) If I get that window again and get out of it without saving it, will checking the Tools>'Well-formed check epub' tool tell me what's wrong?
Yes, it'll display an approximate location. As KevinH has already suggested, you might want to enable the Preview window, because it'll immediately display a red warning if something is wrong with the HTML code. For example:

Quote:
4) (and i realize this is unanswerable in a concrete way) What are the chances I lost a lot of data?
5) What is the typical data loss in that situation?
The actual chances are rather slim, but there is a theoretical possibility that you might lose some text.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 02:51 AM   #6
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
A related question: It has happened to me once or twice that after a code clean-up there would be some paragraphs of text without any tags around them. Is there an easy, regex-y way of spotting them? In my cases they were always at chapter starts, so weren't hard to find, but there might be other situations.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:37 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

As for data loss using gumbo, I have never actually seen it lose anything I have typed yet. What I have seen is some text losing its parent tag (because the tag was never properly closed), or a short snippet where the offending tag gets xhtml escaped and becomes text itself. Other fixes include adding a missing doctype, or converting an xml declaration to a comment because the file was missing a doctype.

So at worst, I had to fix-up the broken tag or add a tag around text. That said, I have not tried all combinations of poorly formed xhtml and some strange combination of errors might make gumbo freak out. But gumbo is much much more forgiving than tidy ever was.

For me Preview is the way to go as in xhtml mode it will detect the first parsing error as you type telling you immediately if there was a problem, so the fix can be done right away by you and therefore preventing the possibility of wierd conbinations of mistakes in the same file later.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
A related question: It has happened to me once or twice that after a code clean-up there would be some paragraphs of text without any tags around them. Is there an easy, regex-y way of spotting them? In my cases they were always at chapter starts, so weren't hard to find, but there might be other situations.
EpubCheck detects these paragraphs and displays the following message:
Code:
ERROR(RSC-005): Error while parsing file: text not allowed here; expected 
the element end-tag or element "address", "blockquote", "del", "div", "dl",
"h1", "h2", "h3", "h4", "h5", "h6", "hr", "ins", "noscript", "ns:svg", "ol", 
"p", "pre", "script", "table" or "ul" (with xmlns:ns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg")
FlightCrew also detects them and displays the following message:
Code:
Error schema not satisfied : no character data is allowed by content model 
near column 1
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:59 PM   #9
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Are you sure there was any data loss at all? That warning was really a leftover from when Tidy was used. Are you sure any save was made at all? Have you checked the modification date/time on that file to be sure. Do you have the Mend on Save set in your preferences?
Wasn't there a Cancel Button on that warning dialog?

If you use Preview, it will show any well formed errors as you go. Yes you can use the well-formed check to find errors.

As for typical loss, I have seen nothing at all lost, and at worst a short piece of html code xml escaped and treated as text. Typically this is very easy to see.
Thanks Kevin. No, I don't know if there was any data loss.

Yes, I'm sure the save was made because at the bottom of the screen it said something like: 'EPUB saved but possibly with loss of data.'

(I tried to re-create the incident on another file but was unable to.)

I saved a bunch after that incident so checking the date/modification time won't help.

I'm attaching my preferences and confess I don't know what the most beneficial settings would be.

As I recall there was a Cancel button on the window. I guess I should've chosen that, but I thought Xing out of the window was the safest option and would essentially have the same effect as hitting the Cancel button.

And I was using Preview and saw no warnings there.

Good to know I can use the Well-formed Epub check to check for errors.

And good to know the data loss was minimal. And as I said, that's what the Save message said as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_029.png
Views:	136
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	160671  
Old 12-15-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Is this the message you saw:

Code:
        if (ss.cleanOn() & CLEANON_SAVE) {
            if (not_well_formed) {
                QApplication::restoreOverrideCursor();
                bool auto_fix = QMessageBox::Yes == QMessageBox::warning(this,
                                tr("Sigil"),
                                tr("This EPUB has HTML files that are not well formed and "
                                   "your current Clean Source preferences are set to automatically mend on Save. "
                                   "Saving a file that is not well formed will cause it to be automatically "
                                   "fixed, which very rarely may result in data loss.\n\n"
                                   "Do you want to automatically mend the files before saving?"),
                                QMessageBox::Yes|QMessageBox::No);
                QApplication::setOverrideCursor(Qt::WaitCursor);
                if (auto_fix) {
                    not_well_formed = false;
                }
            } else {
            }
        }
If so you should probably have simply selected the "No" button and it will abort the mend and just save whatever broken code you had. If you say, "Yes" it will mend all files on save as instructed by your preference settings.

Auto cleaning on save is equivalent to running Mend (with no prettify) on every xhtml file. If you typically use that anyway, I would simply look at the very last xhtml you edited without running mend to make sure it looks okay after reopening the epub.

No, I just saw a window with the buttons and the ability to X out of it. There were no extensive details like you've shown. As I recall the window gave the option to "fix" the poorly formed stuff but I avoided that. And there were probably three buttons. Maybe "Yes," "No" and "Cancel."

I'd be curious to know what you think of my preference settings (I'll attach it again) and if there's anything I can do to make them work better for me. (I am a novelist and besides the cover and some images of other covers at the back of the book the epubs I make are exclusively text.)

Honestly, this is getting away from me a bit in regards to what my optimal preference settings should be and whether I should be should be using the
Code:
Tools>Reformat HTML>Mend and Pretify all HTML files
which I normally use a lot.

I never use the
Code:
Tools>Reformat HTML>Mend all HTML files
option.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_029.png
Views:	112
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	160676  
Old 12-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #11
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I see this a lot. I think there is a Calibre plugin (Polish or Embed) that uses a header that Sigil does not like.
Code:
<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?--><html xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
is found after accepting.

I also use Modifyepub (kiwidudes version) and never used to see a complaint
Thanks ducks. Don't think that was the issue with me as my file was straight from LibreOffice.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #12
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Yes, it'll display an approximate location. As KevinH has already suggested, you might want to enable the Preview window, because it'll immediately display a red warning if something is wrong with the HTML code. For example:

The actual chances are rather slim, but there is a theoretical possibility that you might lose some text.
Thanks Doitsu. I had the Preview window enabled, but it's possible that I was in such a hurry I missed the warning (because I had the Preview warning open only enough to see the warning). I'll widen the Preview window so that won't happen in the future.

And good to know I probably didn't lose a lot of data.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #13
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Thanks ducks. Don't think that was the issue with me as my file was straight from LibreOffice.
I also see that badly formed message a lot. Maybe every one book in five.
And my work flow is Always an initial epub to epub convert in calibre Before opening for 1st time in sigil. That is to have calibre apply some basic css filters and generate the original epub fallback copy if I them mess up an edit
So I agree with the hypothesis that calibre output is doing something that sigil input does not like
I just let sigil fix what it want to fix, keep calm and carry on. Curious to know what it might be though. If there is anything worth saving next time it happens to assist with post mortem. ...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #14
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

I found the window that came up. And how it plays out:

Yes: It mends it and saves it
No: It saves with errors
X out: It saves with errors
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_030.png
Views:	136
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	160683  
Old 12-15-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I found the window that came up. And how it plays out:

Yes: It mends it and saves it
No: It saves with errors
X out: It saves with errors
Yes. The No is the default answer. You're not being offered a chance to abort the save--saving is a given. The only thing you can change is whether or not it Mends first. It's giving you a final chance to override your Save preference setting and not Mend the code first.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-15-2017 at 05:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote