Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
moving from 0.9.6 to 0.9.8?

Curiously, when I plug 0.9.8 into the MR search bar, I get "no results found." I went back four pages, but apparently the update was earlier. Is there an easy way to find what the explanatory information/discussion that was posted then?

I just installed 0.9.8 on a laptop, and what with the new software and the new computer, I am stumbling. I find, for example, that Preview Panel no longer previews the file I am looking at! And I find that if I double left-click, Code View becomes Book View, and vice versa. So I begin to suspect I need some guidance instead of just bashing about.

Thanks!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Something else is messed up. 0.9.8 is a drop in replacement to 0.9.6 with most of the changes being bug fixes.

No real interface changes were made.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Here's the 0.9.8 release discussion thread. But as Kevin mentioned, there were no changes between 0.9.6 and 0.9.8 that would cause the issues you're describing. We had a couple of false starts with the Mac dmg for that version, but that was about it. There has to be something else going on.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-04-2017 at 12:34 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Interesting, thank you! Among other "issues," my new laptop has been upgrading Windows 10 for the past two hours, sigh.

On a venture, I dug my Windows 7 laptop out of the pile of outmoded equipment and fired it up. I opened Sigil, and my goodness gracious (as Don Rumsfeld used to say) it has Sigil 0.9.7 installed, so my desktop is more out of date than I thought. (I last used the Win 7 laptop a year ago.) And 0.9.7 to my great joy looks just the same as 0.9.6.

So I will take the obsolete laptop along. Maybe by the time I get home, Win 10 will have finished updating itself....
Old 12-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer

Aha. Evidently I had duplicated the main window rather than opened Preview Panel. So when I double-clicked, I was switching from one to the other. Or something.

Anyhow, it is now working as expected. I apologize for sounding the alarm!
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No problem. Glad it's working!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #7
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
In a somewhat unrelated vein, recently I discovered that I'm running 0.9.8 on my desktop, but am still running 0.9.7 on my laptop. Awhile back, I tried upgrading the laptop, but received an error, which I've since forgotten, but which reminded me of a discussion I had, resulting in tracking the problem to the Microsoft Runtime, but because I've slept since then, I don't remember how I resolved the problem.

Now, I could do a lot of searching and find that resolution, but if we have an imminent revision pending to 0.9.9 (or are you guys going to get really wild and crazy and bump it up to 1.0?), it's not really worth the effort at this point. Besides which, both of 'em are doing just what I need them to do anyway.

Now I'm going to add my standard tagline for any discussion of Sigil, which, despite its repetition, still has the same high value: Thanks so much for all the time and effort you've put into making this the most bulletproof, full-featured e-book editor available!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The only recent runtime issue with Sigil was that Service Pack 1 became a requirement on Windows 7 for the VS2015 runtime installer to work (and Sigil didn't verify that SP1 was installed before running). There will be no newer VS runtime required for the new version of Sigil (for those who already have Sigil installed), and the Sigil installer now checks that OS service pack requirements are met before Sigil is installed.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
we have an imminent revision pending to 0.9.9 (or are you guys going to get really wild and crazy and bump it up to 1.0?)
We will use the time honoured approach to reserve 1.0 to signify being fully feature complete. The Sigil 0.9.X series will continue for a long time as 0.9.9, 0.9.10, 0.9.11, ... as more work is done to better support epub3, epub3.1 and eventually allowing a free-form epub structure instead of our fixed formats.

Yes, yesterday we closed the tree to non-critical changes and have updated the base.ts file so that translators can begin to translate any new or modified strings to their own language.

After about week or so of time for translators to do their thing, we will update the version string info and create the final source archive for a release.

Actual release day is still up in the air and depends on getting all 3 builds going and ready, signing them, checksumming them and creating the release announcements.

Hopefully sometime over the holidays.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:34 AM   #10
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The only recent runtime issue with Sigil was that Service Pack 1 became a requirement on Windows 7 for the VS2015 runtime installer to work ...

//snip!//
So you forced me to go back through my posts and find that issue, and of course you're right (gee, hoodathunkit?). That VS Runtime issue was with the installation of FlightCrew. Now I'm not sure what the issue with the installation of 0.9.8 on my lap was, but I'll probably wait until the new release before investigating. I might--no promises, because it's going to be a moot issue at that point--go through 0.9.8 before installing 0.9.9, just to salve my curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
We will use the time honoured approach to reserve 1.0 to signify being fully feature complete. The Sigil 0.9.X series will continue for a long time as 0.9.9, 0.9.10, 0.9.11, ...

//snip!//

Hopefully sometime over the holidays.
But I sincerely hope you don't let that get in the way of you...

Having a Great Holiday!
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote