Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #1
bosun120
Member Retired
bosun120 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Overdrive/library & public domain questions

Hi,

Dunno if this has been asked yet, I was wondering if the Kindle had the ability to, from the device itself w/o having to connect to a computer:

1. Download library ebooks (say using Overdrive system)
2. Download books from public domain websites (Gutenberg, etc.)

I know that some Android ereader apps (Aldiko) have built in access to online catalogs like Goodreads or Gutenberg, and I was wondering if there was something similar or just as easy to use on the Kindle (or any other ereader).

I checked out a Nook Touch in the store and talking with the representative, I got the impression that you needed a separate computer in order to transfer books from Overdrive/Gutenberg catalogs, which does not appeal to me. Also the annotation/note support (especially the search) for the Kindle seems to be better than any other ereader on the market.

Thanks.
bosun120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only eink reader currently able to download eBooks from the library (with Overdrive0 without needing a computer is the Sony Wifi PRS-T1. The Kindle needs a computer to do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
bosun120
Member Retired
bosun120 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Wow r u serious? What about the recent announcement about Overdrive + Kindle?

http://www.overdrive.com/News/OverDr...Library-eBooks

As for PB books, how about using the browser to dl books from the Gutenberg website?

Also, are there any places I can check out the Kindle in person? Im in Socal.
bosun120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosun120 View Post
Wow r u serious? What about the recent announcement about Overdrive + Kindle?

http://www.overdrive.com/News/OverDr...Library-eBooks
Yes, you can borrow library books, but not directly on the Kindle. You need to use a PC to download the book.

Quote:
As for PB books, how about using the browser to dl books from the Gutenberg website?
Yes, that works fine. You can also download Mobipocket books from our library here at MobileRead. These are generally much better formatted than the PG versions.

Quote:
Also, are there any places I can check out the Kindle in person? Im in Socal.
I don't know where "Socal" is, but if you're in the United States, which you presumably are since you talk about library books, I believe that stores such as Target, Best Buy, etc, stock the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Socal is short for southern california.

Ive seen live kindles on display at super walmarts. Ive only seen dud displays at target.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
To download Project Gutenberg books on the Kindle, I'd recommend the mobile version of the site:

http://m.gutenberg.org/

Much faster and easier to navigate on the device.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I loaned a ebook from the library & had it download via wifi. No computer needed to have it transfer.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
I loaned a ebook from the library & had it download via wifi. No computer needed to have it transfer.
You're the first person I've heard say that. Others have said that, when you click the "Download" button on the Overdrive web site, the browser tries to open a new window - an operation that the Kindle's web browser doesn't support. Did this not happen with you?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #9
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You're the first person I've heard say that. Others have said that, when you click the "Download" button on the Overdrive web site, the browser tries to open a new window - an operation that the Kindle's web browser doesn't support. Did this not happen with you?
I don't think "monkeyluis" understood what everyone else said.

His post seems to suggest that he thought everyone was saying that you had to copy the book from your computer via USB, not that the initial rental process had to take place on a computer.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I don't think "monkeyluis" understood what everyone else said.

His post seems to suggest that he thought everyone was saying that you had to copy the book from your computer via USB, not that the initial rental process had to take place on a computer.

Yup. I may have misunderstood.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
It is not really a big deal since I tend to
do all my shopping for books on my PC
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #12
teasonc
teasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it isteasonc knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard 3G
both can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosun120 View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if the Kindle had the ability to, from the device itself w/o having to connect to a computer:

1. Download library ebooks (say using Overdrive system)
2. Download books from public domain websites (Gutenberg, etc.)
Kindle Keyboard 3G/WiFi (3.2.1 firmware) does both (Overdrive, Gutenberg). It leverages WiFi for content delivery.

Borrowing a library book from the Overdrive site requires two logins; one to Overdrive, and then one to Amazon (for the delivery of the content).

Overdrive sends you to Amazon, which I would suppose is the step most people could not complete, who said it doesn't work.

It does work, but you have to disable JavaScript (in the WebKit browser) for that step to complete correctly.

Otherwise, the WebKit browser will choke, and produce an error dialog that states something about 'multiple windows' that it cannot open.

Disabling JavaScript for that one step is helpful, there.

Last edited by teasonc; 10-10-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: remove hard break EOL
teasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:05 PM   #13
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
There are also lots and lots of free public domain books at Amazon here. Many aren't as well-formatted as the free ebooks available here at MobileRead, but it's another option.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasonc View Post
Kindle Keyboard 3G/WiFi (3.2.1 firmware) does both (Overdrive, Gutenberg). It leverages WiFi for content delivery.

Borrowing a library book from the Overdrive site requires two logins; one to Overdrive, and then one to Amazon (for the delivery of the content).

Overdrive sends you to Amazon, which I would suppose is the step most people could not complete, who said it doesn't work.

It does work, but you have to disable JavaScript (in the WebKit browser) for that step to complete correctly.

Otherwise, the WebKit browser will choke, and produce an error dialog that states something about 'multiple windows' that it cannot open.

Disabling JavaScript for that one step is helpful, there.
This didn't work for me. I just went through the whole process on my K3 wifi/3g, including disabling JavaScript just before clicking on the link that sends to Amazon. The K3 opened a window that said, "Web Browser could not open this link because opening multiple windows is not supported."
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by teasonc View Post
How do you disable JavaScript?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote