Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
monkeylytics
monkeylytics began at the beginning.

Device: nook, kindle, ipad, kobo, htc hero, sony daily reader
Borders Desktop and Kobobooks.com integration?

I have a Kobo app on my ipad and smartphone. They're tied to the same email address so I can read the same book on different devices.

But when I load Borders Desktop for my Kobo eReader, there doesn't seem to be a way to tie my accounts together. Borders Desktop forces you to create a Borders account which has no knowledge of my Kobo account. So, I can't easily read my purchased ebook on my Kobo ereader through my Borders Desktop. I guess I was expecting more integration between the Kobo-derived services.

Is this how things are supposed to work?
monkeylytics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Unfortunately this is true. Are you able to download the Borders iphone and iPad apps? This won't get your Kobo books, but you'll have a nice ecosystem to play within.

If that doesn't hit the proverbial spot, please email me shasan at kobobooks dot com and I'll try to get something going for you, it might take some work.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
monkeylytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Unfortunately this is true. Are you able to download the Borders iphone and iPad apps? This won't get your Kobo books, but you'll have a nice ecosystem to play within.
Hey Sameer,

Actually I have the Kobo reader on the iPad and Shortcovers on my HTC Hero (can't seem to find Kobo in Market though...). So, I'm more integrated with Kobobooks than I am with Borders.

I use Adobe Digital Editions on my laptop to download the epub and then load it manually into my Kobo so I have a decent workaround.

But it'd be nice if the Kobo partners shared a common backend for Kobo ebooks. The instructions manual from the Kobo reader that I bought from Borders says to load the Borders software. But since Kobo has apps on other devices (I downloaded the Kobo app for my ipad for instance), those are going through Kobobooks.

From a user perspective, what's really in my head is "Kobo", not Borders. I know the distribution channels want their branding and what not, but you might introduce unnecessary fragmentation and confusion by keeping the service separate for each distribution channel. Ie, why can't I manage the ebook I buy from Wal-Mart, Borders, and Kobobooks in the same interface and across devices? That's the Kobo pitch isn't it?

Quote:
If that doesn't hit the proverbial spot, please email me shasan at kobobooks dot com and I'll try to get something going for you, it might take some work.
I appreciate the offer. My workaround with ADE is ok although not ideal. But you guys might do better if Kobo is the ecosystem rather than the partners. The scalability of having each Kobo distribution partner have its own ecosystem might have some scalability issues from a user perspective. I don't buy all my books from Borders so why would I focus on a Borders app for all my Kobo ebooks?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
artificial
Groupie
artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.artificial got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo eReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylytics View Post
But you guys might do better if Kobo is the ecosystem rather than the partners.
It would be better for Kobo, and better for the end-user, but I don't think Borders would like that idea very much!
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
tajreed
Enthusiast
tajreed began at the beginning.

Device: none
Borders/KOBO intergration

I was able to log into the Border software with the same screen name and password as used at KOBO. And my Library showed up.
tajreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #6
nefferbea
nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.nefferbea is faster than slow light.

Device: Sony PRS600, ipod touch, Sony 950
How did that work? I did the same, and all that showed up on the Borders library were the 5 free ebooks that came with the Borders Desktop download. The books I've bought from Kobo weren't there.
nefferbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:39 AM   #7
monkeylytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by artificial View Post
It would be better for Kobo, and better for the end-user, but I don't think Borders would like that idea very much!
Yeah, but If I buy a Kobo epub book from Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart is going to have the Kobo eReader advertised on it...but I already had a Kobo eReader I bought from Borders, I'm going to be miffed when I find out the stuff isn't integrated. For better or worse, the common Kobo brand is going to set user expectations for a certain amount of integration.

Kobo could still allow its partners to customize certain aspects of the app (or web interface control for that matter) if they allowed their partners to feed content into it. For instance, showcase stuff at the site like video, community, retention programs, etc. But Kobo could still coordinate the ebook management on the backend. Maybe both sides can win.

The Kobo Coalition would be better banding together and differentiating on the experience for the consumer instead of trying to artificially "own" the consumer, fragmenting themselves, and not reaching critical mass. You can get away with it if you have market dominance, but Kobo isn't there.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeylytics View Post
Yeah, but If I buy a Kobo epub book from Wal-Mart and Wal-Mart is going to have the Kobo eReader advertised on it...
That is a good point. What version od the Kobo software does come with the Walmart Kobo?
techie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
tajreed
Enthusiast
tajreed began at the beginning.

Device: none
My mistake

Nefferbea-my mistake. I also could only get the five free books, none that I had purchased.
tajreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #10
NickWilliams
NickWilliams began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
How about letting me download the kobo desktop app from the kobo website? I don't want to be stuck with whatever desktop version happens to come with my e reader. Let me pick which one I want to use. I refuse to use the Borders desktop that came with my unit. I would rather do without than install their app and create a new account.
NickWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote