Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-06-2017, 11:34 PM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Need ES File Explorer Alternative

I've held on as long as I can but let's face it ES File Explorer has become a huge mess of an app. Not only the ads but all the complicated add ons. It's buggy and intrusive. After full screen videos popping up tonight while reading I've had it.

So I need a good file manager alternative. What do you all use?

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Not using Android much these days, but I used to use Astro a lot.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i switched to Amaze
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nager&hl=en_GB

xplore is also very good if you prefer a double window GUI
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...plore&hl=en_GB

amaze is simpler, once I got used to how do do stuff with it
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
ES File Explorer is reputed to be calling home to China.

https://androidforums.com/threads/pr...files.1137953/

I read cell phone fora, and this has been noted in many of them.

Xplore is good, I'm using Solid.

I do agree, the simpler the better if you don't use it for more advanced settings.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks I'll​ check out Amaze and Xplore. Solid isn't free and I didn't like the UI.

ES File Explorer has turned into a horrid application. Sending files to another device is no longer is easy to do. It's actually atrocious how they destroyed some an great app.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 05-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not using Android much these days, but I used to use Astro a lot.
That was my first file manger app before I found ES File Explorer.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-07-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Try Solid Explorer. Much better than ES. ES used to be my favorite. Can't stand it now!

Oops! Just saw that you tried it and didn't like it. Sorry!

Last edited by downeaster59; 05-07-2017 at 12:28 PM.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Try Solid Explorer. Much better than ES. ES used to be my favorite. Can't stand it now!

Oops! Just saw that you tried it and didn't like it. Sorry!
One, it's not free and two, there is no copy or move options. You have to copy and paste files. I finally figured out how to get a single column​ but no copy or move is a deal breaker.

I've been trying various ones. I've settled on two to try out, ASUS File Manager which is really nicely done and File Expert HD which I've used in the past.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #9
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

ES File Explorer has turned into a horrid application. Sending files to another device is no longer is easy to do. It's actually atrocious how they destroyed some an great app.

Sent from my XT1528
I wish they still had a 'bare bones' version of the app. It's quite the PITA anymore!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
I wish they still had a 'bare bones' version of the app. It's quite the PITA anymore!
Someone sent me a link to get an old version 4.0.2.3 which was the last version before it imploded. So I'm going to use it till it no longer works. Maybe by then there will be a comparable alternative.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Just a little note for anyone getting rid of ES File Explorer..it leaves a bunch of junk all over the place. You will need to delete any folders with estrongs and a folder called dianxin once uninstall.

I used ASUS File Manager to do this. I then install ES File Explorer v4.0.2.3 which is the last normal version before the app became a total mess.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #12
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I have been using total commander for a long time. its free and minimal ads actually I don't remember seeing any ads on it. So either they are so un-intrusive that I didn't register them or that there are none.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
rufy93
rufy93 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I have been using fx file explore an an replacement for ES. Root functionality is available as a free add on. Network stuff (ftp/cloud etc) I available for a one time purchase.
After trying out the they trial I decided that it was worth the money.

Sent from my YD201 using Tapatalk
rufy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #14
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
Mix Explorer from a contributor to XDA community: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho....php?t=1523691
It's outside of Google Play, but it does all the things I asked to ES File Explorer, I switched some months ago
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:33 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I'm not the only one then! I already wondered what had happened to it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote