Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #1
karel35
karel35 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Audio book advice for newbie

Hi

I wrote and own the full rights to a book that sells pretty well worldwide and is available in all formats apart from audiobook.

I am in the middle of hiring a narrator and would like to know what sort of price I should be charged for a 56,000 word book? I know it depends on the quality of the narrator, but I would like an idea on an average one before I advertise the job.

Also the book is available for the kindle and also Amazon sell my physical book through their site. The concern is that Amazon suspended by private selling account (something that has happened to many innocent people) just because some new anti fraud laws came out and they said my driving licence did not exactly match the name I had on record. All that was different was a letter 'D' which is another middle name I had. Anyway after much back and forth they refused to allow me to sell. It was not a big issue as I sold little on there anyway.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just have no idea on audio books. But could I hit any problems with them, trying to sell my audio book on their platform? The kindle version is still on their and they have no problem with that. Is there many other places to sell also or do amazon have the huge market share? The last thing I want to do is spend loads of money/time on the book and then not be able to see it.

I could be completely off base here, again sorry I know little about selling audio books or where, a quick google has not really helped either.

Thanks Paul
karel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 AM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
If I were you, I would go take a look at audible.com and find the prices of books that are compatible to your book, i.e. size, genre and overall name recognition/sales. As far as issues selling and Amazon goes, no idea. I would suggest consulting with your lawyer and/or agent. I assume you have one.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If I were you, I would go take a look at audible.com and find the prices of books that are compatible to your book, i.e. size, genre and overall name recognition/sales. As far as issues selling and Amazon goes, no idea. I would suggest consulting with your lawyer and/or agent. I assume you have one.
I think Paul's trying to find out what would be reasonable to pay a narrator, not to charge for the final audibook (I could be wrong, but I'm taking it from the "I'm in the middle of hiring an narrator" and "how much should I be charged..."). emphasis added
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 04:23 AM   #4
karel35
karel35 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I think Paul's trying to find out what would be reasonable to pay a narrator, not to charge for the final audibook (I could be wrong, but I'm taking it from the "I'm in the middle of hiring an narrator" and "how much should I be charged..."). emphasis added
Correct I was, I have now hired one. The issue I am having now is when I try and sign up with ACX is asking for my TIN number as a individual outside of the US. I do have one but whenever I try and put in what I have written down it states this is the wrong number. I got in touch with ACX and they said just to out my UK NI number in, yet this does not work either. So I am stuck on the registration process and it won't let me go any further and I have had to further replies to emails.

What can I do?
karel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:17 AM   #5
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Check here for the official format, it might be different from what you use locally in your country
https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_custom...numbers-tin_en
June is offline   Reply With Quote