Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-13-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
ppatt
ppatt began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Limited BN Selection

My choice of the Nook was strongly influenced by BN claims of having the most EBooks. Then I found that many books I wanted were not in EBook format. When I am unable to find the BN EBook I do a test by going to check Amazon. I am consistently discovering that Amazon has the books that I cannot get from BN in EBook format. This has been disappointing, as has BN support.

I'm not averse to selling my Nook and buying a Kindle though I do like the Nook soft keyboard over the Kindle's physical keyboard. The next logical question to me is whether I can use my Nook to puchase books from other providers...specifically books having DRM.

THe EBook purchase model seems to rely on using the hardware and DRM to create islands of captive audiences which is anti-competitive to say the least. I did discover http://manybooks.net and obtained free books by Mark Twain for which copyright had expired. BN was charging a dollar to download, Amazon had the titles for free as did manybooks.net.

Does anyone know of other sources of DRM-protected new titles where I can purchase using my Nook besides BN.Com?
ppatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Just a few Ebook Stores:

BooksonBoard

KoboBooks

Fictionwise

You can also try search sites that will tell you the lowest price from various stores for the title or author you search on.

Inkmesh

Addall Ebooks

Ebook Prices

Your nook should be DRM and non-DRM ePub and ereader.

Last edited by grooks; 03-13-2010 at 07:19 PM.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I don't have a Nook, but I thought it could read any eReader or ePub...

So, there's:
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
The other possibility is buy the books you want from amazon and remove the DRM and read them on your Nook.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #5
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppatt View Post
My choice of the Nook was strongly influenced by BN claims of having the most EBooks. Then I found that many books I wanted were not in EBook format. When I am unable to find the BN EBook I do a test by going to check Amazon. I am consistently discovering that Amazon has the books that I cannot get from BN in EBook format. This has been disappointing, as has BN support.

I'm not averse to selling my Nook and buying a Kindle though I do like the Nook soft keyboard over the Kindle's physical keyboard. The next logical question to me is whether I can use my Nook to puchase books from other providers...specifically books having DRM.

THe EBook purchase model seems to rely on using the hardware and DRM to create islands of captive audiences which is anti-competitive to say the least. I did discover http://manybooks.net and obtained free books by Mark Twain for which copyright had expired. BN was charging a dollar to download, Amazon had the titles for free as did manybooks.net.

Does anyone know of other sources of DRM-protected new titles where I can purchase using my Nook besides BN.Com?
The nice thing about the Nook is N&B does not require you to purchase and read only their books like Amazon does. The Nook can read all major formats! Check out the above links to find the books you're looking for.
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #6
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Most eBooks available at Amazon are available elsewhere. The Nook reads ePub of BN and Adobe formats, as well as eReader PDB files.

The exception is older books that Amazon has converted to topaz format (a format based on scans of the physical book).

So, use the search sites listed above, and buy the best price. Don't be fooled into thinking you have to buy from B&N, or even that B&N is the best source for eBooks. I typically buy from Fictionwise, because careful use of the reward system they have can save you money. I have also bought from Kobo, Diesel, B&N, eReader.com (which these days is just Fictionwise with a slightly different reward system), and have rented from my local library.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:18 AM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
The nice thing about the Nook is N&B does not require you to purchase and read only their books like Amazon does. The Nook can read all major formats! Check out the above links to find the books you're looking for.
Strictly speaking, you can buy non-DRM Mobipocket books for the Kindle from the other stores as well. Practically speaking, however, anything from the major publishers requires that you buy from Amazon or remove the DRM.

The nook doesn't read Mobipocket format books, but outside of Amazon, if they sell the book in Mobipocket format, they'll sell usually it in a format the nook can read.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
When I am unable to find the BN EBook I do a test by going to check Amazon. I am consistently discovering that Amazon has the books that I cannot get from BN in EBook format.
I did discover http://manybooks.net and obtained free books by Mark Twain for which copyright had expired. BN was charging a dollar to download, Amazon had the titles for free as did manybooks.net.
There's a lot of free Mark Twain books on B&N: http://goo.gl/Nom0. Maybe your problem finding books on B&N is exactly that, your own problem.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
ppatt
ppatt began at the beginning.

hardly....

I'd looked for specific books. Sure sorting by price will show some that are free. As I'd mentioned before I look for the books I want then do the BN vs. Amazon comparison...not a scientific study but significant enough for me.

Here's the link to make it even easier for you.

To others, clearly I was behind on DRM formats and the alternative sites at which I could purchase so thanks for some very useful advice.

Last edited by ppatt; 03-14-2010 at 02:27 PM.
ppatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #10
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
If you're looking for public domain books, I'd look first at

Project Gutenberg
Feedbooks
MobileRead
Munseys

before downloading the free ebooks digitized from Google Books. The few that I downloaded from BN.com, either had really messed up formatting, lots of scan errors or both.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:14 AM   #11
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

So, there's:
Don't forget sony, the sony books can also be loaded onto and read by nook. So far I have been really pleasantly surprused at the array of books I can choose from.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 AM   #12
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post

So, there's:
It does.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #13
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
I'd looked for specific books. Sure sorting by price will show some that are free. As I'd mentioned before I look for the books I want then do the BN vs. Amazon comparison...not a scientific study but significant enough for me.
You know what would make it easier for me? Either point to a single Mark Twain book which is free on Amazon and isn't available for free on B&N or acknowledge that your statement that B&N doesn't have free Mark Twain books which are free on Amazon is bullshit.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote