Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
More Kindle Access for the Visually Impaired

From the Amazon Kindle Blog

Quote:
Accessible Navigation on Kindle
9:34 AM PDT, March 19, 2009
We've heard from many of our blind or vision impaired customers who are excited about Kindle 2's text to speech technology. Some of these customers have asked that we make Kindle even easier for them by adding navigation accessible to the blind. We want to let those customers know that this is something we are working on and we look forward to making it available in the future.
--The Amazon Kindle Team
Some kind of TTS navigation would be cool.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Yes, it sure would!
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
That's pretty impressive, and I think it's great that they are catering to that "niche". I'm sure those people will greatly appreciate it.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Are you listening, Dixie Gal?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
Another thing is they should make text-to-speech(even those books with txt-speech disabled) available to customers with impairments. I can understand disabling it for people without impairments but people with visual problems should be able to bypass it. I know cellular companies make special data/text plans available for those with speech impairments.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 12:55 PM   #6
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
This is good.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Considering how bad my vision is TTS is looking (ha, ha) to be a good idea.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
zadriel
zadriel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
anyone hacked drm to allow tts or book migration?

Whose hacked the DRM to be able to keep access to TTS? Has anyone come up with an easy way to make sure this stays available to us? If so please email me through the system here, or shoot one to trickstands AT aol DOT com. I don't want to advocate piracy here, and I am not interested in a discussion of piracy. What I want is to be able to 1. keep hearing my tts... which the copyright office says I have a right to. AND 2. be able to take my books to another device should i leave kindle 2 behind. thanks for your advice!
z
zadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:24 PM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The python script mobidedrm circumvents the encryption on MOBI and AZW ebooks. The result is a DRM-free MOBI ebook, which is readable on the Kindle. I don't know if this on its own allows TTS, but if not you could format shift the MOBI to ePub and then back to MOBI using Calibre. That would definitely remove all TTS flags.

It is most likely trivial to circumvent the TTS flag without otherwise removing the DRM. I base this on Amazon's previous attempt at updating MOBI DRM for the Kindle, but perhaps they tried harder this time. Since Amazon itself says that copyright holders have no basis for objecting to TTS, you might think that they would not go after a TTS flag circumvention tool. However, the author might be best served by maintaining anonymity and posting any such script to a site outside the US. I am not aware of any such tool, and at a minimum its author would need access to Kindle ebooks that had TTS disabled.

A small fraction of Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ format, and its DRM has not been circumvented.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm bumping this up because there is new news on this front from Teleread.

Quote:
To make Kindle more useful for the blind, the Kindle team is currently working on an audible menuing system so blind and vision-impaired readers can easily navigate to books unassisted, in addition to listening to books as they can already do today with Read To Me. In addition, a new super size font will be added to Kindle, increasing the number of font sizes from six to seven. This seventh font size will be twice the height and width of the current largest font. These new features are scheduled for release by the summer of 2010.
Does this mean an update to K2 or that K3 will hit in the summer? Time will tell.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote