Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Google Pixel C - Thoughts?

I'm in the market for a new Android tablet and one of the ones that I am thinking of is the Google Pixel C.

It seems to have mixed reviews on-line, so I thought I'd ask here if anybody has any first hand experience of one.

I would mostly use it for leisure purposes (e-mail, internet, movies) but would also be interested to know if anybody has used one as a laptop replacement (i.e. could I use it occasionally as a work machine when travelling?).

Thanks in advance
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I'd amost forgotten about the Pixel C. I rarely run into mention of it lately. I've seen a few reviews and they make the thing sound pretty good to me but the price is very high.

I recently got a 10" Samsung Galaxy Tab A with S Pen for slightly more than half the price of the Pixel C. It's probably not nearly as fast although it seems very fast to me. I don't use it for gaming. I like to draw on it and kill time with coloring books, etc. I do play a game now and then but nothing that'll stress it. Or me!

The screen is full HD, lower density than the Pixel C but still excellent. Everything works great and it's fast. It is just Android 6.01 but I'm not sure I care. I'll be a little surprised if it doesn't eventually get 7 but only a little. There's no promise of that.

I'm not suggesting this as a replacement for the Pixel C. I'm just pointing out that there are cheaper tablets that will be just as good for the tasks you've mentioned.

I don't do any productivity things anymore, being long retired, so I can't comment on that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2017, 12:44 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
read the pixel C reviews and updates. I recall there being some serious flaws, which may or may not have been addressed now.
google pixel C flaws
to get started
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:31 AM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks both

Maybe, considering my usage, a less expensive option is worth looking at. I'll certainly do that Google search.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #5
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Lenovo makes tablets. Lenovo bought the Motorola name and has put out phones under Motorola.

The phones come with NO bloatware and Android. Moto has issued updates for them.
They have fairly good components.

Here's a review of tablets.
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...e-world-905504

Some here are liking the Yotaphone. There is also a Yota tablet.

I think I've read that Google has decided that Pixel is the last of the line. No more phones or tablets.

Samsung does have nice gadgets, but all the extra stuff is a pain.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha o View Post
Lenovo makes tablets. Lenovo bought the Motorola name and has put out phones under Motorola.

The phones come with NO bloatware and Android. Moto has issued updates for them.
They have fairly good components.

Here's a review of tablets.
http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...e-world-905504

Some here are liking the Yotaphone. There is also a Yota tablet.

I think I've read that Google has decided that Pixel is the last of the line. No more phones or tablets.

Samsung does have nice gadgets, but all the extra stuff is a pain.
Thanks. I hadn't even thought of some of those!