Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
germangirl251
germangirl251 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Content Server

Hi,

I am having a lot of trouble getting my calibre content server to work the way I would like. I want to be able to access my library from outside of my home WiFi, primarily on mobile devices. I have my content server running no trouble for any device on my home network. But I can't seem to find and/or utilize the information I'm finding to set everything up for anywhere access. If someone could help I would really appreciate it.
germangirl251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You need to open up your firewall and router to allow the outside world to reach inside your home network.

Read the fine manuals for your firewall and router to find out how you do this.

It involves opening up the port used by the content server, by default 8080 I belive.

Also you may wish to get an account with some dynamic dns service, if your router doesn't have a fixed IP from your ISP.

Also see: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169202
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
germangirl251
germangirl251 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok, it took me a while but I finally called my router manufacturer to make sure I was setting up port forwarding correctly.

I do have port forwarding on my router for ports 8080 and 9090. I basically turned off my windows firewall and my modem firewall (which I don't feel comfortable leaving like this but it was worth a try). Long story short I still cannot access my calibre library from my mobile phone. When going through the browser I eventually get an error that the site is not responding. I also found this handy android app that lets me access my content server but I keep getting the error that the content server is on a private network and that it needs to be on a public network to be able to access. At this point I don't know what else to try and I am unbelievably frustrated with this whole thing.
germangirl251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by germangirl251 View Post
Ok, it took me a while but I finally called my router manufacturer to make sure I was setting up port forwarding correctly.

I do have port forwarding on my router for ports 8080 and 9090. I basically turned off my windows firewall and my modem firewall (which I don't feel comfortable leaving like this but it was worth a try). Long story short I still cannot access my calibre library from my mobile phone. When going through the browser I eventually get an error that the site is not responding. I also found this handy android app that lets me access my content server but I keep getting the error that the content server is on a private network and that it needs to be on a public network to be able to access. At this point I don't know what else to try and I am unbelievably frustrated with this whole thing.
What address are you entering? The address you use while at home (ie 192.x.x.x ) is NOT what you use when elsewhere.
That one is frequently changed unless 1) you have a Static IP assigned to your Router-Modem by your ISP. 2) You use a service like DynDNS (the address still changes, DynDNS gets around that)

As to Firewall: Open Only that port/Program in the Firewall (you Firewall users guide will help )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
You need to find out what IP the router use on the Internet.

The purpose of the router is to route traffic from the computers in your private network to the Internet, and from the Internet to your private network.

Most likely you can see this IP somewhere in the GUI for the router.

So your content server connect to the router, using a specific port, and the router forwards the connection out to the Internet. Inside your private network the content server probably use a IP like 192.168.0.101. On the Internet you connect to your router using the IP provided by your ISP. Either a fixed IP or a different one everytime you connect. It depends on what type of Internet connection you have bought.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A handy service to run from inside your home:
http://www.ipchicken.com/

This will show you current WAN IP and other stuff about your ISP's connection
Old 05-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
If you are using "calibre companion" as the "handy android app" then use the settings to enter the second (private LAN) content server IP address. You would enter the public address (or URL) in the first IP address box and the private IP address in the second box.

If your app allows only one address or URL then you must either figure out how to make your router do NAT loopback (most cannot) or set up a private DNS server on your private lan to map the url to the private address, which can be a significant bother. Alternatively, contact the app developer and get him/her to add the second IP address.

Last edited by chaley; 05-09-2013 at 05:20 PM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If you are using "calibre companion" as the "handy android app" then use the settings to enter the second (private LAN) content server IP address. You would enter the public address (or URL) in the first IP address box and the private IP address in the second box.

If your app allows only one address or URL then you must either figure out how to make your router do NAT loopback (most cannot) or set up a private DNS server on your private lan to map the url to the private address, which can be a significant bother. Alternatively, contact the app developer and get him/her to add the second IP address.
Hey I did not realize there was an WAN and LAN setting.
I just set mine up

Maybe add a small section in the FAQ?