Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #1
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
continuing on ebooks --- wondering 'bout .pdfs

I've been reading lots of ebooks for a long while now --- mostly plain text using ybook, .html files or .pdfs using various readers on a Fujitsu Stylistic. Just wound up w/ a Sony PRS-505 here at work to investigate making ebooks for it, but really not liking the native format for its limitations re: fonts &c., so looking more towards .pdfs.

First I hope to revisit the .pdf of Mike Brotherton's _StarDragon_ which I made a while back:

http://www.mikebrotherton.com/archives/002481.html
http://www.mikebrotherton.com/novels/stardragon.pdf

and I'll probably also revisit Okakura Kakuzo's _The Book of Tea_:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/willada...ebookoftea.pdf

(that won't read on a Sony though, 'cause print is disabled I believe).

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello William

word is Sony is working on a update for the 505 to handle pdf files better, due out soon.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
and I'll probably also revisit Okakura Kakuzo's _The Book of Tea_:

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/willada...ebookoftea.pdf

(that won't read on a Sony though, 'cause print is disabled I believe).

William
I am not sure whether you can read the PDF as it is on Sony reader. However, you can read the file on Sony reader after converting it into LRF format using PDFLRF. You can download the program here.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13135

I just tried PDFLRF with following options:
- portrait mode
- trim header
- trim page number on the bottom

I am attaching a preview screen from PDFLRF showing how the result will look on sony reader
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tea.png
Views:	316
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	10880  
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
For the book of tea: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/book/991
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ervserver,

Glad to hear .pdf handling will be even better perhaps.

soilwork,

Thanks for the preview --- looks just like the pages in a .pdf viewer (they're images, right?)

Thanks!

William
Advert
Old 02-25-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
WillAdams
Wizard

hadrien, interesting the link you provided --- the custom .pdf which they provide is also made w/ (La)TeX --- though w/ some settings I find reprehensible --- I'd be curious as to your thoughts on the appearance of my version versus theirs.

William
Old 03-03-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hate to say this, but a screen shot from a computer screen is NOT going to show how well it'll look on the actually 6" eink Vizplex screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I uploaded the Book of Tea on our book upload section a while ago. And in lrf. So there's no need to convert it at all..
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 PM   #9
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hate to say this, but a screen shot from a computer screen is NOT going to show how well it'll look on the actually 6" eink Vizplex screen.
I agree. It looks better on Sony reader than the preview screen. However, my point was to show that it is quite easy to convert (print-disabled) PDF files into quite readable LRF books using PDFLRF.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard

Patricia, I will respectfully disagree on there being no need of a .pdf version as an option if there's already a .lrf of a given book --- unless I'm the only person in the world who cares about true italic type and nice typesetting in an ebook....

William
Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Patricia, I will respectfully disagree on there being no need of a .pdf version as an option if there's already a .lrf of a given book --- unless I'm the only person in the world who cares about true italic type and nice typesetting in an ebook....

William
But there are other readers which handle these things better. For example, the CyBook which I have has proper support for font families and will display "real" italics.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:48 PM   #13
WillAdams
Wizard

Does the cyBook have an H&J system which will preclude stacks, widows, orphans and ensure that all lines are nicely set?

If so, do you have authorization to cut a purchase order to get me one at work (it was work which provided me w/ the Sony and the Kindle (but didn't much like the Kindle --- while it has true italics, the linebreaking algorithm which it uses is the typical, brain-dead, one-line at a time thing which has been obsolete since Knuth and Plass's seminal paper).

William
Old 03-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #14
KenB
KenB began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Introduction

The system won't stop prompting me to give an introduction, so this is it. I hope the *&%^$ prompt now goes away.
KenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Does the cyBook have an H&J system which will preclude stacks, widows, orphans and ensure that all lines are nicely set?
No, the Gen3 does not have kerning, hyphenation, widow support. It uses a version Mobipocket to read eBooks and Mobipocket supports none of that on it's own.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote