Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #151
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You don't need to flash anything, or an SSH access anywhere.

You just need to be able to boot into diags, and have access to the userstore. Drop the jailbreak (either one [tar.gz or stgz], at least on the diags version on my PW, although the number of reboots needed to trigger it might be different between one and the other, I didn't check) in the userstore, (re)boot once or twice into diags, and voilà.

If you broke your rootfs, but you still have access to the userstore, and no SSH in diags, you can try to just drop the official 5.3.0 update in the userstore and reboot, IIRC, it doesn't care (much) what state the partition is in, it will reflash it.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-18-2012 at 10:36 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:25 AM   #152
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Thank you, that seems to have done it! Now, is there anything else I should do while I have access to the serial console, or can I close my Kindle back up?
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2012, 12:36 PM   #153
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@awh_tokyo: If you have confirmed that both main & diags boot properly, and that main is on 5.3.0 & jailbroken, then, no, I don't think so, at least from a SW POV .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:43 AM   #154
prnoct90
prnoct90 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I just got a Kindle Paperwhite that was unfortunately already at 5.3 when it arrived. Is there no solution for the time being?
prnoct90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 AM   #155
awh_tokyo
Enthusiast
awh_tokyo began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I think the only way for the time being involves taking the unit apart and soldering three leads to the board so you can access the serial console during boot. Whether you are comfortable with that, I'll leave as an exercise for the reader.
awh_tokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #156
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnoct90 View Post
I just got a Kindle Paperwhite that was unfortunately already at 5.3 when it arrived. Is there no solution for the time being?
No, not for the time being. (Except for taking it apart and accessing it via serial port).

I'm still actively searching for a new exploit, and I hope that a few others here do as well. I found a few minor glitches which allow to delete some files, or to create empty files (but unfortunately, part of the filename is fixed, which renders it useless). IOW: none of that allows for a full-fledged jailbreak (yet?).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #157
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
No, not for the time being. (Except for taking it apart and accessing it via serial port).

I'm still actively searching for a new exploit, and I hope that a few others here do as well. I found a few minor glitches which allow to delete some files, or to create empty files (but unfortunately, part of the filename is fixed, which renders it useless). IOW: none of that allows for a full-fledged jailbreak (yet?).
Could you share your findings? (maybe in some dedicated topic) Getting more eyes to look at those glitches may result in finding some different, but now successful approach
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #158
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
Could you share your findings? (maybe in some dedicated topic) Getting more eyes to look at those glitches may result in finding some different, but now successful approach
That's being discussed in a "conspirative inner circle" via PMs - it's not a good idea to discuss this in the public forums (IMO).

But yeah... I'll ask the other folks if anybody objects to you taking part in the discussion
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM   #159
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos1 View Post
This is not the place for such findings.
We certainly do not want to teach lab126 how to do their job better.

Secure chat, or non-general public web site is the place for that stuff.

A lot of us run their own web sites, not associated with Kindles.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #160
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
That's being discussed in a "conspirative inner circle" via PMs - it's not a good idea to discuss this in the public forums (IMO).

But yeah... I'll ask the other folks if anybody objects to you taking part in the discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This is not the place for such findings.
We certainly do not want to teach lab126 how to do their job better.

Secure chat, or non-general public web site is the place for that stuff.

A lot of us run their own web sites, not associated with Kindles.
I see, point taken
dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote