Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
lorken
Enthusiast
lorken doesn't litterlorken doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox
Can I read Kobo-bought books in Aldiko?

Can I import my kobo-bought books into Aldiko 0n my vox so I can read them there? (I apologize if this has already been covered -- I have been reading all these threads so much over the past few weeks that I can't remember if this was addressed or not. If it has already been addressed, please point me to the correct thread and many thanks)

I've installed Aldiko on my Vox, and have gone into Aldiko's settings to authorize it as an Adobe DRM device. Then in Aldiko I went to Home-> SD Card-> KoboPegasus-> epubs. (The books are listed there using kobo's 'numbers instead of names' format.) In Aldiko's menu, I tapped "Select All", then tapped "Import to Aldiko". The popup box then displays a message saying "Importing Nan 0/0" and then the popup closes. When I go to my Aldiko list, the books aren't there.

What am I doiing wrong? Do I have to use Calibre to move the kobo-bough books over to my desktop, then move them back to Aldiko on the vox? Or can kobo-bought books only be read using the kobo app?
lorken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Kobo provides two versions of most ebooks, the KEPUB version (which is locked down to Kobo devices and apps) and the Adobe EPUB version (which is still DRM-ridden but available to any Adobe digital editions app).

To get the latter, go to your Kobo My Library web page and click on the Adobe DRM EPUB link for an ebook. You will get an ACSM file that can be imported into Adobe Digital Editions (Windows or Mac) to finally get an actual EPUB. Under Windows this will be in My Documents\My Digital Editions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
You can download and read the Adobe DRM'd ePub version of the ebooks you bought from Kobo (they can be downloaded through the website). You can't read the kePub version that downloads through the Kobo app or Kobo Desktop.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
lorken
Enthusiast

Thanks wallcraft and AnemicOak. More questions:

1) I assume I have to do this (download the ADOBE DRM version) through my computer and not while on my vox - is that correct?

2) When I logon to myLibrary right now through my computer, I see that some of my books have one download option beside them, and some don't have any download option beside them.

2a) For the ones that don't have any download option, does this mean I'm screwed and have gotten only the kepub version that is now on my vox?

2b) For the ones that have a download option, it either says or "Adobe DRM epub" or "Download epub". Does this mean that I can only get the book in that one format?

3) When I originally bought the books from kobo, I am sure I did NOT get a choice of two download formats: I bought my books using the computer (not the vox) and once they were paid for, the "Download book" button appeared and I pressed it. Then later, when I turned on my vox, my library updated itself and they showed up in it. Should I/Can I do something different to ensure I get the ADOBE DRM vershion and not the KEPUB version?

Many thanks for your help and patience
Old 02-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorken View Post
1) I assume I have to do this (download the ADOBE DRM version) through my computer and not while on my vox - is that correct?
I don't use Aldiko anymore (I use Mantano), but still have it on my phone so I tried downloading right from the site. I got the option to download the book to Mantano, BlueFire or Overdrive, but didn't get an option for Aldiko. I know Aldiko will open the .ACSM files and download if you have the file on your device already, but apparenly the associations aren't setup right for downloading from the website.

What you'd do is download the books into ADE and then connect your Vox to your computer and then drag and drop the files from ADE to the Vox (it will show up as an icon in the left hand menu of ADE). I'm sure you could do it other ways too.

Quote:
2) When I logon to myLibrary right now through my computer, I see that some of my books have one download option beside them, and some don't have any download option beside them.

2a) For the ones that don't have any download option, does this mean I'm screwed and have gotten only the kepub version that is now on my vox?
I've heard they have a few books that are kePub only (or kePub and PDF) and don't have an ePub option, but I haven't run into it myself so I'm not sure.

Quote:
2b) For the ones that have a download option, it either says or "Adobe DRM epub" or "Download epub". Does this mean that I can only get the book in that one format?
All books are available as kePub's plus usually some other format. "Adobe DRM epub" will be a DRM'd ePub you need to download with ADE. "Download ePub" should mean it's a DRM free ePub (I'd assume those will download direct from their site fine).

Quote:
3) When I originally bought the books from kobo, I am sure I did NOT get a choice of two download formats: I bought my books using the computer (not the vox) and once they were paid for, the "Download book" button appeared and I pressed it. Then later, when I turned on my vox, my library updated itself and they showed up in it. Should I/Can I do something different to ensure I get the ADOBE DRM vershion and not the KEPUB version?
You get both. Usually that download button is for the ADE ePub or DRM free ePub, and you'll get asked by your computer what to do with it/where to save it. You don't have to pick one or the other as you can always go back and re-download whatever format's are available. I just re-checked and I have a small number of books that don't have the ePub option, one's a comic, a couple were freebie for the Vox (which I returned) and a couple are public domain classic in kePub only freebies (but there are better versions for free download here on MobileRead).

Hopefully some of that rambling made sense.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Advert
Old 02-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
By any chance, are the ones that have no download option next to them, books tht were free?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Do you mean your public library? If so, any ebook you currently have out will be available for download on your PC, to be read by any other app that works.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Do you mean your public library? If so, any ebook you currently have out will be available for download on your PC, to be read by any other app that works.
He means My Library on the Kobo site.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
lorken
Enthusiast

OK, so I'm making progress:

PeterT, you are correct, the books that have no download option beside them are indeed books that were free on the kobo site. So that explains that.

So I'm now installed Adobe Digital Editions on my desktop and have successfully downloaded the "Adobe DRM" books onto my desktop. Next I'll attempt to copy them onto the vox and let you know if that leads to success or more questions!
Old 02-21-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
lorken
Enthusiast

SUCCESS!! Thanks everyone!

AnemicOak, I followed your directions and it worked almost perfectly! There were just a couple of differences/odd things, which I'll note here in case it helps anyone else with the same questions.

After I installed Adobe Digital Editions on my desktop, I logged onto myLibrary (my kobo account) and clicked on the "Adobe DRM Epub" button next to one book. The popup box asked if I wanted to open this file or save it. When I chose "save it", the file appeared to download but it did not ask me where I wanted to save it. After the download I did a search in windows explorer and found it had been saved in my "Documents and Settings/Downloads" directory. I right-clicked on it and selected "open this file" and it opened Digital Editions and showed the book being loaded to my Digital Editions library shelf. After I closed Digital Editions, I noticed the file had now been copied to my Digital Editions directory, so I deleted it from the "Documents and Settings/Downloads" directory as I didn't want to have two copies taking up space on my hard drive.

For my second book download I selected "open this file" instead of "save it". This time when the download completed, it automatically opened Digital Editions and showed the book loading to my Digital Editions library shelf. But it still saved it in my "Documents and Settings/Downloads" directory, so I still had to delete the duplicate copy from that spot.

Then I connected my Vox to my computer and it did indeed show up as an icon in the left hand menu of ADE, so I just dragged and dropped the files from ADE to the Vox.

Then after disconnecting the Vox from my computer, I opened Aldiko and went to Home-> SD Card-> Digital Editions and saw my books listed there. YAY! From there I tapped the menu button (middle vox button), then tapped "Select All", then tapped "Import to Aldiko". And voila! my books are now in Aldiko for me to read.

Lessons well learned and much appreciated - thanks again you guys! (if it wasn't for this forum, I would certainly not be liking my vox anywhere NEAR as much as I do.)

edited to add: just learned how to give karma - cool!

Last edited by lorken; 02-21-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
After I installed Adobe Digital Editions on my desktop, I logged onto myLibrary (my kobo account) and clicked on the "Adobe DRM Epub" button next to one book. The popup box asked if I wanted to open this file or save it. When I chose "save it", the file appeared to download but it did not ask me where I wanted to save it. After the download I did a search in windows explorer and found it had been saved in my "Documents and Settings/Downloads" directory. I right-clicked on it and selected "open this file" and it opened Digital Editions and showed the book being loaded to my Digital Editions library shelf. After I closed Digital Editions, I noticed the file had now been copied to my Digital Editions directory, so I deleted it from the "Documents and Settings/Downloads" directory as I didn't want to have two copies taking up space on my hard drive.
Just an FYI that first file isn't the .epub book. It's a .acsm file which tells ADE you have a license for a specific book and tells ADE where the Content Server it should download from and to activate the DRM for your specific Adobe ID which is when you actual .epub gets downloaded. And yes, you don't need the .acsm anymore once the .epub has been downloaded by ADE.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
lorken
Enthusiast

Ah, yes, you are again correct - the first file is an url link. I didn't notice that when I was going through it at first .