Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle 3, Icarus Illumina XL, Boyue T62
Different Send to Device routine based on the library.

I have two different libraries - one for books, and the other for fanfiction. In general, I have different ways of organizing both on my device - for books I prefer to keep them in folders named after authors, while for fanfiction - the series that they are written about.
I was wondering, if there was some way to code the Send to Device so it will be different for each library instead of having to switch every single time.
iatheia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iatheia View Post
I have two different libraries - one for books, and the other for fanfiction. In general, I have different ways of organizing both on my device - for books I prefer to keep them in folders named after authors, while for fanfiction - the series that they are written about.
I was wondering, if there was some way to code the Send to Device so it will be different for each library instead of having to switch every single time.
If they were in the same Library, I would say yes.
(I file Series by Series, and Non-series by Author. Modifing the template to use a Tag should be trivial)

BTW what do you do for series (universe) that written in by more than one Author?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
iatheia
Zealot
iatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmosiatheia has become one with the cosmos

It doesn't matter to me if there are multiple authors or just one - they are still in the same folder. The only time I add new folder is when an author written a series of related stories in the same universe.

Basically what I have is fanfiction/(name of the universe, stored in a custom folder)/(series if applicable)/blah and books/author/(series if applicable)/blah, but I have to change templates every single time when switching between one to the other. Can you help me with how to code it so it would happen automatically?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It doesn't matter to me if there are multiple authors or just one - they are still in the same folder. The only time I add new folder is when an author written a series of related stories in the same universe.

Basically what I have is fanfiction/(name of the universe, stored in a custom folder)/(series if applicable)/blah and books/author/(series if applicable)/blah, but I have to change templates every single time when switching between one to the other. Can you help me with how to code it so it would happen automatically?
Not Multiple Authors. Different Authors.
Series like: Bards Tale, Perry Rhodan,
Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
iatheia
Zealot

I guess I don't really understand the difference.
Say there is a fandom called A created originally by a person A1. And say there is a story B written by person B1 in that fandom, and then C by C1, and D by D1 etc... All these storeis B, C, D... will be in the folder called A.
Is that what you mean?
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I guess I don't really understand the difference.
Say there is a fandom called A created originally by a person A1. And say there is a story B written by person B1 in that fandom, and then C by C1, and D by D1 etc... All these storeis B, C, D... will be in the folder called A.
Is that what you mean?
You have your head stuck in a small Fandom instead of a bigger picture
Author A writes Book 1
Author L writes Book 2
Author A writes Book 3

Filing by Author splits the series.

Like your Fandom, series should be filed Only by series,
then index# - title (to place them in the correct order)
If you leave off the Index#, there is no order .
Title is less important.
Author, even Less than title (at least as far as sorting goes )
Old 01-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #7
iatheia
Zealot

I guess I still don't really see how this is important. It is a fairly rare thing, at least as far as I am concerned, especially because I don't really file them by author in fanfiction, and as for books... Well, if I ever need to deal with it, I suppose I will just add all the authors for all the work in the series.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

It may be a difference in Library scale

665 Authors and 589 Series
Old 01-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #9
iatheia
Zealot

Eh, not necessarily scale, but more what type of books is being read. My fanfiction library is much larger than my book library. And there isn't a guarantee that the story is completed or if it is ever going to be. And it is even less likely that there is ever going to be a sequel. So while my number of authors is comparable, number of series is just 30-ish.
I did run into such a thing you were describing twice, but it is sort of a non-issue for me.

But coming back to my original question, can you help me with how to code it?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

See post #2

You maintain 2 Libraries on the same computer/user .
Templates are not 'Library aware'
Old 01-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There is no way to change the behavior of a template based on the library name or any other value that isn't associated with a book. I also know of no plugin that can help.

If you really want to do something like this, you could create a text w/fixed set of values custom column. Put one value in the column in library1 and put another value in the column in library2. Make a save template that uses this value to choose sub-template.

The above method is error prone, because you would need to ensure that the right value is in the column for *every* book in the library. It isn't clear to me that this maintenance (running a bulk metadata edit before saving) would be easier than changing templates.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote