Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Flashing the firmware

Well, I was brave/stupid and tried igorsk's Universal Flasher on my new 650, just to see if I could capture an image of the firmware. However, when I stick the SD card in the slot nothing much happens - the little disk light goes on briefly and that's it. The flasher software does not load.

So now I know. No harm done. But I know zilch about unix (which didn't stop me from trying ) so that is about as far as I can go.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #2
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
ShellShock, the Universal Flasher autorun.xml method works only on: 300, 500, 505 models.
Afaik from porkupan (aka boroda) 650 is very similar to 900, so the "old" 900 hack should work. You can find his 900 flasher here.

PS
Be careful not to brick your reader!
In case of 650, however, there should be a way to restore it using memory stick.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks; I've got hold of it. I can see how it can be used to flash an existing image, but I can't see how you could use it to capture a new image--it only seems to have the autorun.xml method which you say only works on older models.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
ShellShock
It comes with binaries that set the reader into update mode. Anyway porkupan already has version for 350's, it is very likely to work with 650.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
I just flashed my 350 and now have the Droid font, and the user style sheet if I want to change fonts.

Thank you Porkupan!!
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 AM   #6
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
650 version on e-book.org also

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
ShellShock
It comes with binaries that set the reader into update mode. Anyway porkupan already has version for 350's, it is very likely to work with 650.
NOW there's a 650 version if you click on the 350 link.
FYI: I'm just watching-too soon to flash my brand new 650. Until somebody posts flashing and what you get for dummies I'll just watch. My goal is to use different fonts for ePUb simply without having to modify css etc. Maybe I'll just use Calibre to add font to LRF versions.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
NOW there's a 650 version if you click on the 350 link.
FYI: I'm just watching-too soon to flash my brand new 650. Until somebody posts flashing and what you get for dummies I'll just watch. My goal is to use different fonts for ePUb simply without having to modify css etc. Maybe I'll just use Calibre to add font to LRF versions.
I hope to get it working this weekend, including default fonts.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #8
willyu34
willyu34 doesn't litterwillyu34 doesn't litter

Device: sony prs-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I just flashed my 350 and now have the Droid font, and the user style sheet if I want to change fonts.

Thank you Porkupan!!
hi induna, is porkupan's flash contains the droid fall back fonts that supports all unicode?

I am interested in the flash because I need it to display chinese book titles. I don't need chinese menus.

thanks!
willyu34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
ShellShock
Wizard

It may be possible to create a universal flasher like the igorsk's for the 505:

First amend the stock firmware so it allows autorun scripts from the SD card, and flash that.
Then we'll be able to create a universal flasher that runs from the SD card (copies existing firmware image, copies arbitrary replacement files, creates new image, flashes new image).
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyu34 View Post
hi induna, is porkupan's flash contains the droid fall back fonts that supports all unicode?

I am interested in the flash because I need it to display chinese book titles. I don't need chinese menus.

thanks!
I believe the flash has full unicode support. It does display Cyrillic characters correctly. Howerver, since I only read languages that use the roman alphabet, I can't really test this. Why don't you try the flash and find out? It's very easy.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #11
davidnadon
davidnadon began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post
I believe the flash has full unicode support. It does display Cyrillic characters correctly. Howerver, since I only read languages that use the roman alphabet, I can't really test this. Why don't you try the flash and find out? It's very easy.
Im newbie to this forum, just wondering how to test it to read chinese ? thank you so much
davidnadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
There are no fonts with Chinese characters in this firmware. Nothing prevents you, however, from adding a custom EPUB CSS and fonts with whatever character set you wish. Or you can use embedded fonts in EPUB, LRF or PDF. But you can already do it with stock firmware.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 AM   #13
ShellShock
Wizard

Please see this for a discussion of custom epub fonts on the 350; AFAIK it will work for the 650, but I have not tried it yet.

Last edited by ShellShock; 09-27-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #14
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, I was actually talking about ability to specify the default CSS in the epub directory (pepak's hack).

EPUB has always supported embedding CSS with direct font indication, so in that respect there is nothing new.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard

Please note: although pepak's hack has the great advantage of working for most epubs without editing them, it does require flashing the firmware using igorsk's universal flasher, which AFAIK does not work on the 350/650 (because it relies on autorunning from the SD Card, which Sony seem to have disabled in the later readers).

This differs to jswinden's method, which has the advantage of working with the 350/650, but the disadvantage of requiring you to edit the epub (to add the font info, especially the location of the custom fonts on the reader).