Notices

Old 04-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #46
esoterica3
esoterica3 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

That code is part of the KF8 creation that is walking an lxml tree and cloning it to remove all of the namespace information (html5 does not use namespace prefixes). The funny thing is it builds up the list of nodes (the path) from the root node to this node and then when processes that list of nodes along the path it runs into a case that says the child that was there on the way up no longer exists

So somehow it found all of the indexes on the way up but they are not there on the way back. Strange.

Is there a short epub that you can post that causes the problem?

KevinH
Only tried it on the one...was playing with the new feature and found this forum when searching for the error I was getting. It's 256 kb, I can try to upload it here if you like.
esoterica3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #47
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

As long as it is not commercial material, a test case is always a welcome thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoterica3 View Post
Only tried it on the one...was playing with the new feature and found this forum when searching for the error I was getting. It's 256 kb, I can try to upload it here if you like.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #48
esoterica3
esoterica3 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,

As long as it is not commercial material, a test case is always a welcome thing.
yeah, guess it is commercial...better not then

I'll see if I have any public domain ones....
esoterica3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #49
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Strether: When sending to the Touch you apparently have to rename the files to .azw3
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #50
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've committed a fix for the error reported below (I hope since I am not able to reproduce the error).
Advert
Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #51
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Strether: When sending to the Touch you apparently have to rename the files to .azw3
So. I renamed the file extension to .azw3. And loaded the book into the documents folder of the Kindle. And nothing changed. You open the book and you get text. You try to go to the next page... and the next, and the next, and they're all black. You can go someplace in the book using the table of contents and you'll get text again, but the minute you try to do a page turn, nothing but black.

Extemely likely that I've done something wrong somewhere, but no clue what.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
So. I renamed the file extension to .azw3. And loaded the book into the documents folder of the Kindle. And nothing changed. You open the book and you get text. You try to go to the next page... and the next, and the next, and they're all black. You can go someplace in the book using the table of contents and you'll get text again, but the minute you try to do a page turn, nothing but black.

Extemely likely that I've done something wrong somewhere, but no clue what.

Jim
In order to check if it is the Kindle Touch or Calibre, try converting the same ePub into KF8 using KindleGen and see if it works on the Kindle. If it does, then it could be a bug in Calibre and if it still doesn't work, then it would be a bug in the 5.1 firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 PM   #53
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@strether: Can you post the book that is showing this behavior and the source it was converted from. If they're copyrighted open a private bug report and attach them.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49 PM   #54
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I understand you properly, Kovid, I've attached the epub book "Kim" that I converted and then the azw3 file that's having problems when viewed by the Kindle Touch. If I've misunderstood and you need something else, I'll be happy to provide whatever.

Jim

Edit: Well, I guess I won't. When I tried to attach the azw3, it refused to upload it, saying it was an invalid file. The epub was no problem, but figured that was no good without the other. I don't know what "invalid file" means in this context. If there's another way of getting it to you, let me know.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #55
Strether
Guru

Well, I just had another thought. Maybe if I try to load the Mobi file of the book, that will upload properly and you can change the extension and go from there. Let's see if that works.

Jim

Edit: That seems to have worked, so it was the azw3 extension that Mobileread's upload system objects to. I see it's not on the list.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Kim - Kipling, Rudyard.epub (1.41 MB, 200 views)
File Type: mobi Kim - Kipling, Rudyard.mobi (1.96 MB, 162 views)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #56
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Strether: Ah you're talking about Kim. I tried converting it to azw3 with kindlegen. The resulting file shows the same black page artifacts on the Kindle Touch as the calibre converted file, so I conclude the bug is in the Kindle Touch's KF8 reader. I guess the Touch isn't really KF8 ready.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #57
Strether
Guru

Kovid, good to know it's not something I've done wrong. My Kindle Fire loves the book. Those pictures in the book practically come out of the page at you.

Don't understand why I'm getting an error message from Calibre when I try to convert other books with the tweak in place, but maybe the adjustments you say you're making will take care of that problem.

Thanks a lot for your time and interest. We're all lucky to have you as a resource.

Jim
Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The real problem is that since firmware 5.1 for the Kindle Touch is buggy. Is there any way to download Mobi versions of KF8 eBooks from Amazon or are Touch users with 5.1 stuck playing Russian Roulette with KF8 eBooks hoping they'll work?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #59
Crafter
Crafter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini
I use Calibre to e-mail to my K3, Fire and iPad. Tried the K8 tweek to convert some EPUB to K8 and side-loads beautifully to Kindle K3 however, when I e-mail it to Amazon to include in my docs, Amazon sends back email saying they don't know what kind of file it is. I removed the tweek and convert to mobi and Amazon accepts it. Bug? Happening to others?

Last edited by Crafter; 05-01-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: wrong model number
Crafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #60
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I got the "IndexError: list index out of range" conversion failure error as shown above today when converting a newly purchased (and released today) epub to mobi. I was able to successfully convert the book after deleting the KF8 tweak (calibre 0.8.49, Win 7).

Last edited by JoHunt; 05-01-2012 at 03:26 PM.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote