Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Iread
Iread began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Ectaco JetBook Lite
Translation Dictionary Feature

I have been watching prices on the JetBook and JetBook Lites, waiting to see what would happen to prices on or after Black Friday. I am especially interested in the feature that allows a word from a book to be translated from English to another language, as well as the ability to read books from other languages and translate words to English. I think these features would be very helpful in learning new languages.

I recently learned that the new Sony models have 10 translation dictionaries built-in. The Sony's are much more expensive than the JetBook Lite, but also have some note-taking features.

Does anyone have experience using the translation feature of either of these brands? Are there other brands that offer this feature as well? I believe that the new PRS 350, 650, and 950 are the only Sony models that offer this feature. Is that correct?

It may be awhile before I make a purchase. I need to spend as little as possible. NewEgg has had some excellent sales on the JetBook Lite and I think I would like the LCD screen, but I would prefer a 6" or even the 7" screen like the Sony PRS 950 if I could afford it. I'm hoping some of you will have used the translation dictionary feature of your ereaders and can give me some insight. Thank you in advance!!
Iread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Having recently sold my jetBook and bought a PRS-650, I can give you my opinion. The dictionaries on the new Sony readers are far superior to those on the jetbook. It's no contest.

I also prefer the 6 inch screen size vs the 5 inch. I didn't see any point in going to the PRS-950 for the 7 inch screen, as it isn't any wider, only taller.

If the dictionaries are not an issue and you are happy with a 5 inch screen, the jetBook is a very good buy, especially with the recent price cuts. I bought mine at $169, which was a good deal at the time. Now that a jetBook can be had for under $100, it is a very good deal for a basic ereader that supports DRM'ed epub and other formats.

Joe

Last edited by jgray; 11-21-2010 at 10:41 PM.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
My husband is trying to learn Spanish--and he is very impressed with the Spanish-English and English-Spanish dictionaries on his 650.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Iread
Iread began at the beginning.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Ectaco JetBook Lite
Thank you for your opinions. Both were very helpful. There were several things about the JetBook that I thought I would like, but the translation dictionaries was the most important feature. Unless I can perhaps get a used JetBook at a low price to have as an additional reader, I will "set my sights" on the PRS 650. I definitely would prefer a 6" screen over a 5".
Iread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I had a friend that was learning Hungarian, I thought he was nuts. He downloaded the ebooks in english and opened them in Open Office then used the software to translate the file to hungarian. He then put the file back into the ereader once open Office got done with the file.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iread View Post
... I recently learned that the new Sony models have 10 translation dictionaries built-in ...
My 650 has twelve:
  1. New Oxford American Dictionary
  2. Oxford Dictionary of English
  3. Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary (EN-FR)
  4. Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary (FR-EN)
  5. Collins English-German Dictionary
  6. Collins German-English Dictionary
  7. Oxford Spanish Dictionary (EN-SP)
  8. Oxford Spanish Dictionary (SP-EN)
  9. Collins English-Italian Dictionary
  10. Collins Italian-English Dictionary
  11. Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Engels-Nederlands
  12. Van Dale Pocketwoordenboek Nederlands-Engels

Last edited by boxcorner; 02-01-2011 at 07:28 AM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #7
eriksnoopy
Connoisseur
eriksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to beholderiksnoopy is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-950 (broken screen) kobo aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
My 650 has twelve

[/LIST]
But the first two don't translate any languages.. maybe thats why they count 10
eriksnoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksnoopy View Post
But the first two don't translate any languages.. maybe thats why they count 10
I take your point, in the pure sense of the meaning. However, surely it depends on what your mother tongue is. If the user isn't a native English speaker, and they use the English dictionaries, then they may be used to aid translation. Nevertheless, I agree, 2 English dictionaries and 10 bilingual dictionaries would be a more appropriate description.

Last edited by boxcorner; 11-24-2010 at 12:21 PM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jetbook, sony