Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 AM   #121
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
You are then on a vanilla android system, so you can install apps, for instance I had the kindle app on my t1, which allowed me to access my kindle account and read my mobis on it. At that time I had epub and mobis, so that made sense to me. You can also install fbreader and coolreader, or a mail app (I had k9 for instance running very smoothly). It does not replace a tablet of course, but the readability in the sun can be useful.

Forgot to say : the sony firmware is still on the device, so you can access the sony interface anytime without rebooting, it is implemented as a button, but also have the vanilla android interface.
Sorry, I didn't express my question very well. I am well aware of what rooting is; I was intending to ask Rizla what he specifically did on his rooted T1 that the stock device wouldn't do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #122
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, I didn't express my question very well. I am well aware of what rooting is; I was intending to ask Rizla what he specifically did on his rooted T1 that the stock device wouldn't do.
Oh, I see, I did not understand that this question was only for Rizla to answer, nor that you knew perfectly well what rooting allowed on the T1.
My bad.

But then, what was your question for ?

As a not-purely-british-speaking-person, I most probably am missing the ironic undertone, or else I would not have answered a question that-was-not-for-me-to-answer.

Last edited by aceflor; 04-11-2013 at 05:12 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #123
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
As a matter of interest, what does "rooting" allow you to do on your T1 that the stock device can't do?
In general, it allows me greater freedom to configure my device as I wish to use it. I have not rooted my T1 as I am very happy with my 650 running Prs+. Sadly, the x50s and Prs+ are becoming a thing of the past. The only future hope is in a rootable Android e-ink reader.

One specific and obvious application of rooting is the ability to run 3rd-party pdf reading software to better read pdf files on a 6-inch screen. None of the manufacturers seem to see this functionality as worthwhile. It is important to me. I read pdf files frequently on my 650 using Prs+. It works very while. No stock UI of any current e-reader can match it. Indeed, I am not aware of a device that even offers landscape mode and text reflow. Perhaps the T1 does it. Porkupan says the latest Sony doesn't.

Another application is folders. Afaik, none of the major non-European manufacturers offer this obvious functionality. If they are so short-sighted, I need to have the ability to work outside of their limited UI designs.

The bottom line is, the manufacturers are not creating UIs that allow me to utilize my hardware to its full potential. Currently I am happy with my 650 + Prs+. That won't last forever. Plus I want lighted screen functionality. Therefore I expect to root in the future.

Last edited by Rizla; 04-11-2013 at 05:56 AM.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:55 AM   #124
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
The bottom line is, the manufacturers are not creating UIs that allow me to utilize my hardware to its full potential. Currently I am happy with my 650 + Prs+. That won't last forever. Plus I want lighted screen functionality. Therefore I expect to root in the future.
Thanks - that makes a lot of sense, and I agree with your reasoning.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #125
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Really? Is the T2 less rootable than the T1? Is it a deliberate policy on Sony's part to restrict rooting? This is important news to me if it is the case.
Yes, Sony has been actively plugging the holes that allowed rooting. The new readers sold in Europe and Russia are currently not rootable, and upgrading a reader to the latest EU firmware without prior jailbreaking renders it non-jailbreakable. So, bad news all around.

It is a pretty safe assumption that T3 will not be rootable by any currently known method.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #126
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
As a matter of interest, what does "rooting" allow you to do on your T1 that the stock device can't do?
I know your question was not directed at me, but I can still point out that for every user rooting may carry at least some benefits. As a minimum, the choice of a reading application and keyboard.

For me the primary reason, believe it or not, is ability to install a keyboard that supports Russian characters. I read in Russian and English, and being able to search in Russian is important. For others, it's essential to be able to extent the stock reader functionality with extra dictionaries and FB2 format support. Or to allow global EPUB customization.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:11 AM   #127
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
Yes, Sony has been actively plugging the holes that allowed rooting. The new readers sold in Europe and Russia are currently not rootable, and upgrading a reader to the latest EU firmware without prior jailbreaking renders it non-jailbreakable. So, bad news all around.

It is a pretty safe assumption that T3 will not be rootable by any currently known method.
Ouch. I will read more about this. But I will definately be looking seriously at alternatives to Sony hardware in the future. Thanks for the info and see you in Nook-world, maybe!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #128
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with the nook is the decision for them to split the memory and give the users not much memory for eBook not downloaded from B&N. I might have considered a nook as a second reader. But with the memory issue, I won't do it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #129
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem with the nook is the decision for them to split the memory and give the users not much memory for eBook not downloaded from B&N. I might have considered a nook as a second reader. But with the memory issue, I won't do it.
That's only for internal memory. You can use as much storage space for your own books as you want on an SD card.
Old 04-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #130
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In addition, perhaps the easy rooting of this device would get round that? For me, the problem with the Nook is the fragility of the screen.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #131
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
In addition, perhaps the easy rooting of this device would get round that? For me, the problem with the Nook is the fragility of the screen.
I have a number of Nook's and have never had any problems with the screens.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #132
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have a number of Nook's and have never had any problems with the screens.
Apache
I really want to beleive that the Nook Glowlight screen is reasonably robust. I would go and get one. But there are just so many user reviews on this site and on the Nook site itself where users have found 'hotspots' and 'hotcracks' appearing on the screen. These didn't happen because people dropped keys etc on the screen. On occasion they barely touched the screen. On at least one occasion the screen developed a fault all by itself. I accept that e-ink screens are fragile, but from what I've read, the Nook screen is more fragile than other screens. I don't want to buy a device that develops a really annoying screen defect even though I'm very careful with it.

Like I said, I want the Nook screen to be robust, but I can't ignore lots of user reviews to the contrary.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #133
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Like I said, I want the Nook screen to be robust, but I can't ignore lots of user reviews to the contrary.
On the other hand, if you read the reviews of the Paperwhite, they all have pink and green color blotches on the screen, disregarding the many of us who have good screens.

On the third hand, I won't buy a Nook for a lot of other reasons, and the screen issues just add to that list.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 AM   #134
Rizla
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
On the other hand, if you read the reviews of the Paperwhite, they all have pink and green color blotches on the screen, disregarding the many of us who have good screens.
Amazon will refund or replace a PW. With perseverance you can get an acceptable screen and if you don't you can get your money back. No such luck with Nook. I have read several Nook customer support nightmare reviews. It's just too chancy. They rival Sony lol. The difference being that Sony devices are (generally) well-made and reliable so it's less of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
On the third hand, I won't buy a Nook for a lot of other reasons, and the screen issues just add to that list.
Like what?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #135
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Even though I know the information is hashed, I don't like the idea that the DRM is tied to a credit card number. And I don't like that so much memory is sequestered. yeah, I can buy a memory chip to get around that, but I shouldn't have to (just like I shouldn't have to buy add-ons to make Win8 usable).

And I don't really trust B&N.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote