Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Any chance of a 10.3 inch Kobo?

I've been very intrigued by the new Pocketbook X 10.3" e-reader. It would seem that this is the only true e-reader of that size on the market. The rest of the devices seem to be mostly for note taking.

What are the chances of Kobo doing a bigger than the Forma screen e-reader?
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I have a 10" Fire its too big to read on with comfort. I ended up using it for movies.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2020, 08:22 PM   #3
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Mercador can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I have a 10" Fire its too big to read on with comfort. I ended up using it for movies.
A tablet isn't an ereader. I wouldn't read on a tablet either, it's like reading on a computer screen.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
A tablet isn't an ereader. I wouldn't read on a tablet either, it's like reading on a computer screen.
I been reading on Tablets since my 1st Fire I also Read on the 10" & my Cell Phone. for your advice. I keep it in mind while I KEEP Reading
Old 01-09-2020, 02:42 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i read LOTS on my 10 inch tablets. Instant page turns, no flash, and I can have any colour background I choose. try getting that from e-ink!
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2020, 04:22 AM   #6
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I also read on my nvidia 7" tablet plus my Samsung galaxy s8+.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Try doing Immersive Reading on eReaders... Can't. You can't even listen to audiobooks or music on ereader.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Try doing Immersive Reading on eReaders... Can't. You can't even listen to audiobooks or music on ereader.
As far as audiobooks on e-readers, I believe the latest Kindles let you listen to audiobooks. And as far as music, I believe there are e-readers past (Sony 650) and present (pocketbook InkPad 3) that play mp3s.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #9
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

John how you like to CARRY around a Blutooth Speaker? sheesh. Besides the OP is wanting to know about KOBO & Future 10" eReader. Kobo does NOT have Audio hookups speakers nor Bluetooth.

My Comment in my First post was about SIZE Nothing else!
Old 01-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #10
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some tablets have very good audio, given the size limitations.
I got around to looking up the specs for my Huawei media tab, and specifically the DAC quality and its way higher spec than unexpected. With headphones using the usb c to jack socket supplied adaptor and with a hd music source (Amazon hd music streaming at 24bit quality), it is very good indeed.

An e-ink device may offer up a half inch mono speaker if you are lucky, with a 99 cent dac to drive it. Any audio function is only for spoken audio books really , not for music

Back to the original question. I remember reading in a much older thread that there are technical reasons for why 10 inch e-ink with a front light system is impractical . the ancient kindle DX had no built in light.

Last edited by stumped; 01-09-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:29 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
John how you like to CARRY around a Blutooth Speaker? ...
If I listened to audiobooks, I wouldn't carry around a Bluetooth speaker. I don't carry around a Bluetooth speaker to listen to mp3.
Quote:
Besides the OP is wanting to know about KOBO & Future 10" eReader. Kobo does NOT have Audio hookups speakers nor Bluetooth.

Although context is important, not once do you mention Kobos in your posts, You just say e-readers. Keep in mind that a lot of people browse this forum for information: when someone tries to clarify your posts with more detailed information, don't take it personally.
Quote:
My Comment in my First post was about SIZE Nothing else!
Than why mention immersive reading, audiobooks, and music?
Old 01-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #12
stumped
Wizard

There's nothing to stop kobo adding audio support to a future device. But if they don't sell audiobooks in the kobo store? why should they bother. They are hardly likely to implement an Amazon exclusive like audible, even if Amazon were willing to license it
Old 01-09-2020, 01:47 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
There's nothing to stop kobo adding audio support to a future device. But if they don't sell audiobooks in the kobo store? why should they bother. They are hardly likely to implement an Amazon exclusive like audible, even if Amazon were willing to license it
In the U.S., they/Kobo do sell audiobooks. They have for a while ( a couple of years?). I was a little surprised that the Forma and Libra didn't have audio support.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:59 PM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Everyone that would likely listen to an audiobook has a smartphone. Over half of eBooks are read on phones.
An eink ereader is awkward while driving, gym, jogging, cycling, "working" etc, a phone is simple, easier to carry or have on car / bike and less obtrusive.

I've a few ereaders that do audio, terrible UI and only usable while sitting, so it would make an ereader needlessly more expensive. My PW3 does work with external USB audio but UI is dreadful and really as a poor accessibility feature than for Audio books. A phone with app is better. I have Mort for audiobooks without DRM (there is a separate Mort MP3 player, also many regular MP3 players are useless compared to cassettes for audio books, as the "place" is lost.)
I think the PW4 uses BT. Possibly because Audible is the #1 audio book service and owned by Amazon, maybe be why the PW4 has it.
Amazon wants to only stream rather than let you have a copy of an audiobook that works on anything, we are going backwards from Cassette and CD, though if you only use one device with an Audible app, you might not see the problem.

Last edited by Quoth; 01-09-2020 at 02:01 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 02:41 PM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
I've been very intrigued by the new Pocketbook X 10.3" e-reader. It would seem that this is the only true e-reader of that size on the market. The rest of the devices seem to be mostly for note taking.

What are the chances of Kobo doing a bigger than the Forma screen e-reader?
Best Buy sells 10 inch Fire Tablets they are on Displays so you can check them out. I am Suggesting before you buy something that Big for Reading think about when you read & check out the comfort with the display of the Fire. Or any 10 " tablet. I read Mostly in Bed I yet to find a way to hold or prop it up in a Comfortable Position. I can prop it up on a pillow & watch a movie . On the other hand my Cell phone is fine for reading while waiting on Doctors. But Most reading I do is on my Kobo Clara Seems Just right for reading in bed Buying a Bigger ereader may work for you...but beware of the pitfalls if you don't read sitting up in a chair. Or you want to carry it around. to me they tooo big