Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Does your Forma have the wedge-side light issue?
No wedge-side light issue 20 15.87%
Have wedge-side light issue, but living with the issue 72 57.14%
Have wedge-side light issue, seeking warranty replacement 14 11.11%
Have wedge-side light issue, returning for refund 20 15.87%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #61
SilverGreen93
SilverGreen93 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad Color 3
Well, I went with mine back at the shop and they said they will send it to Kobo for replacement. I am now waiting for the new one to see if it's better.
SilverGreen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:10 PM   #62
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyk View Post
Hello, bought a Forma this Black Friday hoping the light strip issue would be resolved by now. Unfortunately, the light strip is still visible. Question is will it get better over time?
It won't get better over time.
I'd return it while you can if it bothers you.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #63
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I brought mine back to Walmart after 30 days. Not only for the line issue but mine stopped connecting to WiFi, loved the screen size but too many issues for a $250 devce
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #64
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's been a year, it seems pretty obvious by now that it's in large part a design issue/choice, so, no?

(Oh, and if you meant, will it get better *over the lifetime of *your specific* device*, then, again, of course not ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #65
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
Mine has the light band issue but not at the light levels I normally read at. I can imagine it being an issue for someone who reads with the light at 100% all the time. I rarely exceed 14% so for me, it's a non-issue.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2019, 01:28 AM   #66
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
How is the light band on the button side in inverse-video mode? (Night mode; white text on a black background.) Almost all of my use is in the dark at low light levels on the device in inverse mode. Thank you!

How to toggle inverse-video mode:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-new-easy-way/
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #67
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@RobertJSawyer: Comes down to user-preference. I find it less noticeable at first, but actually more annoying in practice.

Note that I may be the odd duck here because I consider reading in night mode on eInk plain heresy to begin with ^^.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:45 AM   #68
SilverGreen93
SilverGreen93 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayseidel View Post
Mine has the light band issue but not at the light levels I normally read at. I can imagine it being an issue for someone who reads with the light at 100% all the time. I rarely exceed 14% so for me, it's a non-issue.
I find it more noticeable at around 10-40% brightness than at 100%. And it is more noticeable at blue light than at yellow light. Although at max yellow, the color is not uniformly distributed. If you hold the Forma with the buttons on the left it will be very noticeable that the light in the left is blacker, softer and than on the right it is pure yellow. Pretty weird gradient.

I went with mine to the service. They didn't fix it although they said they did. The second time they issued a replacement. But the replacement unit had the same problem. I think I will keep the replacement unit until a better Kobo is launched.
SilverGreen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@RobertJSawyer: Comes down to user-preference. I find it less noticeable at first, but actually more annoying in practice.

Note that I may be the odd duck here because I consider reading in night mode on eInk plain heresy to begin with ^^.
I find reading with night mode on that I have to turn up the light to a higher level. It's just easier to read without night mode.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:13 PM   #70
revenant
revenant began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I had it, very strong whitish alongside the handle. Before returning I was allowed testing a second one at the store, had the same issue. A second store: the Forma on exhibit was perfect, no light issues, but "not on sale". The one they opened up for me had it.

My take: it could be that if you leave it on for quite some time, the issue tends to become less noticeable (as per one of the early posts: leave it on full-power, to "burn" it). Some of you who had it for some time could confirm/exclude this.

Bottom line: +1 as one of the last posters, I'll stand awaiting for a better Kobo. So far, my Aura One has been serving me well.
revenant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 06:38 AM   #71
Lemons
Enthusiast
Lemons began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
How is the light band on the button side in inverse-video mode? (Night mode; white text on a black background.) Almost all of my use is in the dark at low light levels on the device in inverse mode. Thank you!

How to toggle inverse-video mode:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-new-easy-way/
I just got the Forma, and while it has some faults, Night mode works very well and can't see much of the bar on the side(still there somewhat), the only flaw with Night mode, however, is the ghosting and covers also get inverted. It honestly looks better in night mode than the Aura One, in my opinion, but it will depend on lighting. The second flaw is the one I have has a dead pixel that is more noticeable in dark mode but it is out of the way not to rely bother me.
Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:23 PM   #72
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Difference in illumination along the side with the paging buttons barely noticeable on mine at the illumination levels I have tried, from about 15% to 100%. I am in the USA and my Forma arrived today, 9 Jan 2020. Ordered the day after Christmas and it is the 32 GB version. The slightly brighter strip is narrow enough so it does not intrude onto the default print area on my unit. Considering that the pages of a printed book are not flat, particularly not near te spine, the page illumination level varies on the book pages too. So did clip-on book lights and various Kindle and Sony covers with integral reading lights including the cover for the Sony T3 and lighted covers for the Kindle Keyboard, Kindle 4/5 and Kindle Touch.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #73
koboyedi
koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.koboyedi could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: kobo forma
To me illumination levels make no difference. I read in light shadow with 30% white backlight and this is what it looks like
[Image converted to attachment]

Kobo service looked at the image and after going through the usual factory reset procedure initiated the replacement process. I'm willing to do this for max 3 times before I switch to kindle. I just can't live with this.

Just one note because I've seen this on a youtube video with the kobo clara hd. One woman opened her device, put some masking tape on the side of the LEDs and this eliminated the light spill on the display, making it perfect. Don't think I want to try to open the forma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HaWKyHl.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	176271  

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-09-2020 at 10:31 AM.
koboyedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #74
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@koboyedi: You might want to check the Mobileread's guidelines on image sizes. If you click on the paperclip icon, you can use the manage attachments option instead of having an oversized image as part of your message. If editing a message, you'll need to go into advanced mode to get the option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oversized.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	176268  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #75
dow
Addict
dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-505
Holy Oversized Images, Batman!

Seriously, I've officially had my Forma since Christmas (ordered it before then, then had to let SWMBO wrap it and put it under the tree). It's my third reader (sony prs505, Kobo Aura HD, and now the Forma), and I just don't see what the big deal is all about. Sure, mine has the shadow, or gray bar, or light sliver, or whatever you want to call it, but let's be reasonable here. You've got a device that can hold hundreds of books, has a long battery life, does what it's supposed to do, and weighs almost nothing, and people are saying things like,"I just can't live with this." Ridiculous. Folks, this is a First World problem, and in the grand scheme of things means absolutely nothing. Be glad of the wonderful piece of technology that you've got or get something else. Regardless, please stop complaining about it. You're talking about the digital equivalent of the shadow between pages in a paper book, for Pete's sake.

\Rant mode off\

Last edited by dow; 01-09-2020 at 10:11 AM.
dow is offline   Reply With Quote