Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
you sir name
you sir name began at the beginning.

Device: none
where did you buy yours?

Hi all,
where did you buy your onyxes? I'm in Canada (Montreal), and there seem to be limited options:

a) amazon - yuk, I'd rather not give them any more money than I already have during less enlightened stages of my life
b) goodereader - seems shady and this forum doesn't seem to like them. But they seem to be the cheapest?
c) the onyx intl online store
d) the ereader.store in Detmold, Germany. Good reputation but relatively expensive, and not sure whether I'd have to pay customs, and whether canadian or EU tax applies.
e) getting it sent to friends in the states from an US seller and have them bring it next time they visit.

This is for a Max3 or Max2 pro.

Any experiences with the above stores or specifically the Canadian situation; or any other options that I may have overlooked?

Thanks in advance!
you sir name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #2
OGRIchardNixon
OGRIchardNixon began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Nova Pro
I ordered from good ereader and I regret it. Very awkward inconsistent customer service. Don't have a tracking number or update about shipping for almost a week after making the payment. I regret... everything. I'd probably feel better working with Ali Express or onyx directly, but I was hoping for a half decent customer service at least with english localized support if warranty issues arise.

Do avoid them. If I don't get clear answers when I speak to them next I'm gonna just try and get my money back.
OGRIchardNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 10:07 PM   #3
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
I'm also in Canada and have bought all four of my Onyx ereaders from the ereader.store in Germany. I would happily purchase an ereader from there again.

Although I'm in Canada, I would NEVER purchase an ereader from Good e-Reader. Their negative reputation here is well earned, many times over. Plus, unless things have changed, Onyx ereaders bought from them actually ship from China. That was the experience of several people on this forum who ordered from them mistakenly believing that the ereaders would ship from Canada. So it seems that they just get a commission for any units sold from Onyx. In which case, you'd just be better off ordering directly from Onyx.

As for taxes and duties, Canadian customs is really somewhat of a mystery. Sometimes I get charged, sometimes I don't. Below is a comment which I wrote in another thread about my experience with Canadian customs when ordering Onyx products via the ereader.store in Germany:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I'm not sure how exactly Canadian customs works. It seems to be a bit of a lottery in my experience. Sometimes I get charged, while at other times I don't. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.

For some reason unbeknownst to me, I didn't have to pay any taxes or duties on my Nova Pro and Note Pro when they arrive earlier this year.

The year before, I had to pay $15.45 (about $5 in taxes and $10 in processing fees) when my Note arrived.

I forget exactly how much I had to pay when I got my Max. The shipping company made a number of mistakes and my package was delayed for a while at customs while things got sorted out. When it was finally delivered, the delivery person only charged me a fraction of what I had been told I would have to pay. Eventually, after they realized their mistake, they asked me to pay the remainder. However, they then waived the fee when I asked for a copy of all the paperwork. I suspect that they had lost it.

As for ordering from China, I suspect that the process would be much the same. Earlier this year, I ordered a Hisense A2 Pro dual screen phone from a store on Aliexpress. I wasn't charged any taxes or duties when it arrived.

Here is a link to a government website where you can check how much you might expect to pay in taxes and duty: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...t-cal-eng.html

But, for some reason, they don't always apply it. Not sure why.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
RL71
RL71 began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note+
Hello,

I bought my Note Plus from E-Readerweb.nl. They're from the Netherlands but deliver worldwide. For me it was the best price.
The Max 2 Pro costs now € 699,- and the Mx 3 € 859,-

The service was great. I orderd just after Christmas and on the site they said they were on holiday. But they send me the Note Plus right away!
http://e-readerweb.nl/index.php?item...000179&lang=nl
I don't know if these are reasonable prices for you.

Good luck.
RL71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:26 PM   #5
you sir name

Thanks for the replies!
After some deliberatin' I'll probably order from the boox shop directly, since the Max 2 Pro is currently on sale + they have some special offer where they offer a duty refund. So if the duty lottery doesn't turn out in my favor, I may still have a chance to recoup some of my losses...
And if the reviews are to be trusted, their customer service isn't that bad...
(I got very close to ordering the Max 3 from the ereader-store but they only had it in white, which somehow turned me off.)
Old 02-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
you sir name

So just by way of an update, I got mine yesterday. Import fees were CAD 87 (for an 880 CAD device), and it remains to be seen whether boox actually do refund it (as they claimed on their website).
Delivery was on the fast side: They said they wouldn't ship before Feb 3 on account of Chinese New Year, so I was aware of that, but then I got a tracking number on Feb 6 I think and the thing arrived in Quebec on Feb 10.

Had a brief email exchange with the boox people when I originally ordered it, because paypal had charged the wrong account and I had to cancel that initial order and start over. Not their fault, but paypal's, but still they were helpful.

Now I just gotta figure out how this thing works...
Old 02-13-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Got my nova pro from Amazon next day delivery postage free plus no import duty, very happy camper.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #8
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
I'm all in with ereader.store . The support from waldemar is one of the best I've had online through the years, so it's a no brainer.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
hopperwopper
hopperwopper began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 3
Talking

Hi there,

I hope this is not a late reply. As a matter of fact I live in Canada as well, and just got my Boox Max 3 in mail yesterday.
Ibought it from their own shop https://shop.boox.com/, and from their US warehouse. They use USPS and then CP handles the rest after it is cleared at customs.
A very interesting point is that the price they write on the shipping box is sixty dollars to avoid taxes. So you will save a lot here.
It took exatly seven days for it to get here. I am very happy with the device. I made an unboxing to show all the free shit they also sent with it. The case is not very awesome, and it does not provide the foldable stand function it claims it does. But overall, I love it.
hopperwopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #10
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Hello,

Two devices bought in Booxtor's shop https://ereader.store/en from France. Fast and fabulous support
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:47 AM   #11
cicabum
Addict
cicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud ofcicabum has much to be proud of

Device: Onyx Note3, Nova3, Hisense A5, Hisense Q5, Dasung Paperlike Pro-f
Since from my point of view it is simply madness to save a few dollars on such expensive devices and then not have technical assistance in case of problems, that's why I chose to buy my Onyx Note from Ereader.store . After a year of use I had a serious problem with my device and it was quickly and competently solved by the technical assistance. Thanks again! :-)

Last edited by cicabum; 02-26-2020 at 04:52 AM.
cicabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:21 AM   #12
xxtraloud
Connoisseur
xxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheesexxtraloud can extract oil from cheese

Device: DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperwopper View Post
Hi there,

I hope this is not a late reply. As a matter of fact I live in Canada as well, and just got my Boox Max 3 in mail yesterday.
Ibought it from their own shop https://shop.boox.com/, and from their US warehouse. They use USPS and then CP handles the rest after it is cleared at customs.
A very interesting point is that the price they write on the shipping box is sixty dollars to avoid taxes. So you will save a lot here.
It took exatly seven days for it to get here. I am very happy with the device. I made an unboxing to show all the free shit they also sent with it. The case is not very awesome, and it does not provide the foldable stand function it claims it does. But overall, I love it.
So if you buy from the Boox store and there is no control you can probably avoid custom duties?
xxtraloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:38 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtraloud View Post
So if you buy from the Boox store and there is no control you can probably avoid custom duties?
If the delivery goes through a supplier who manages to handle the goods past customs, you can avoid the payments.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:49 AM   #14
mashkanevesta
mashkanevesta began at the beginning.

Device: Onix Boox Note Air
Be very careful declaring lower value on customs declaration would be illegal.
Undervaluation of Goods Can Lead to Criminal Charges And Conviction In Canada
https://www.canada-usblog.com/2016/0...ion-in-canada/
mashkanevesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:02 PM   #15
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
Sharing my experience with Ereader store: A few years ago, I purchased Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro from Ereader store and it was a very positive experience. With the next purchase of the Nova Colour 3 unfortunately I had to return it. I used it for less than 30 minutes, and I felt bad returning it but I had no choice. It seems that the return package was misdelivered or had temporarily gone astray at first, and a few weeks later its all fixed.

Last edited by Faeryink; 06-01-2021 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Updating information
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodereader bad