Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #1
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura One
Replacement for Aura One?

It looks like my Aura One is slowly dying (the battery don't hold its charge) so I'll be on the market for a new reader. Since I already got a big reader, I guess Forma should be the next one but I read a lot of good reviews on the Libra as well. I would like some 10 inch ebook but those are still a bit too expensive. Is there anyone that went from Aura One to Libra / Forma ? If so, how is your experience with the new format ? Otherwise, any news on the next Kobo ? It was CES last week but haven't heard anything from that. Thanks!
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nvidia Shield K1 - Galaxy S8+ - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
How about a 7.8 android e-tablet like the Nova Pro same size as the Aura One. I love my Aura One just sold my voyage and oasis 2 and bought the Nova Pro, can't read on the voyage or oasis anymore.
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Mercador
I'm not a number!
Mercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipseMercador can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Aura One
What's the advantages of this one? I didn't know there was Android ereaders nowadays.
Mercador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:41 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercador View Post
What's the advantages of this one? I didn't know there was Android ereaders nowadays.
You lose eInk. You lose the ability to read in direct sunlight. You lose distractionless reading. Most Android reading apps are garbage.

Go with the Kobo Forma for a much better reading experience. The only thing the tblet will do better is PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You lose eInk. You lose the ability to read in direct sunlight. You lose distractionless reading. Most Android reading apps are garbage.

Go with the Kobo Forma for a much better reading experience. The only thing the tblet will do better is PDF.

Uh no, the Onyx Boox Nova Pro is an e-ink device and a very good one at that. The advantage of an Android e-ink tablet is that you can use a wide range of reading apps, just pick the ones you like the best.
The screen on the Nova Pro is slightly less good as either the Nook Glowlight 3 or Plus, or the Kindle Oasis 3. And it isn’t quite as fast as a dedicated e-reader, but it is pretty close.
As to the quality of Android reading apps, well it is all over the place. Some great, some just good and of course, some really suck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:31 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
Uh no, the Onyx Boox Nova Pro is an e-ink device and a very good one at that. The advantage of an Android e-ink tablet is that you can use a wide range of reading apps, just pick the ones you like the best.
The screen on the Nova Pro is slightly less good as either the Nook Glowlight 3 or Plus, or the Kindle Oasis 3. And it isn’t quite as fast as a dedicated e-reader, but it is pretty close.
As to the quality of Android reading apps, well it is all over the place. Some great, some just good and of course, some really suck.

Thing is, a lot of these Android Readers are using an older version of Android and you have either a limited choice of reading apps or you have to find an older version.

Kobo has good Reading apps available. Plus, if you want you can easily add in KOReader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thing is, a lot of these Android Readers are using an older version of Android and you have either a limited choice of reading apps or you have to find an older version.

Kobo has good Reading apps available. Plus, if you want you can easily add in KOReader.

The Nova Pro is currently running Android 6 with and Android 9 upgrade coming. So far I’ve found no issues with finding and using current versions of quite a few reading apps. Of course some Android reader apps aren’t very good on e-ink but all the usual suspects seem to work fine.
Note my comments are about the Nova Pro, there are other e-ink Android devices that are not so good.

Old 01-11-2020, 05:02 PM   #8
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
The Nova Pro is currently running Android 6 with and Android 9 upgrade coming. So far I’ve found no issues with finding and using current versions of quite a few reading apps. Of course some Android reader apps aren’t very good on e-ink but all the usual suspects seem to work fine.
Note my comments are about the Nova Pro, there are other e-ink Android devices that are not so good.

That's my plan, I will only install reading apps. BTW how does the kindle app handle the latest firmware?.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #9
Lparsons21
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
That's my plan, I will only install reading apps. BTW how does the kindle app handle the latest firmware?.

It handles it well IMO. As do the Nook and Scribd apps though the scribd app is a little doggy compared to the others, but that seems to hold true of that app on just about everything, including on an iPad.

It isn’t quite as snappy as my Oasis 3, but it is very usable.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #10
Gibbo
Guru

Picking up my Nova pro tomorrow can't wait to read on the kindle app with a big screen
Old 01-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Picking up my Nova pro tomorrow can't wait to read on the kindle app with a big screen
Hope you'll love it!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #12
Gibbo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Hope you'll love it!
I'm playing around with it and I'm impressed after adjusting the settings the kindle app is really smooth not as a dedicated reader but imho not far off. Checking the other reading apps now.