Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 07-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #1
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
Question [Android Only?] CC FAQ - How do I choose what to see in the book details display?

Hi @chaley

I think the CC FAQ - How do I choose what to see in the book details display? needs to be updated to [Android] only as I don't seem to be able to do this on the iOS version? If this is true, I would really like to request this feature and I think I did in the iOS Wish List. This would be a very useful feature. It would also be good if you could bulk/default edit this information. Currently it seems you can only edit the book detail information per book....For example I don't need the path field and would like to move the comments section to the top.

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:19 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Hi @chaley

I think the CC FAQ - How do I choose what to see in the book details display? needs to be updated to [Android] only as I don't seem to be able to do this on the iOS version? If this is true, I would really like to request this feature and I think I did in the iOS Wish List. This would be a very useful feature.
I changed the FAQ. TBH I don't know if you can do it in the iOS version. I don't own an iDevice to check, but if you haven't found it then probably not.
Quote:
It would also be good if you could bulk/default edit this information. Currently it seems you can only edit the book detail information per book....For example I don't need the path field and would like to move the comments section to the top.
If you change which fields and their order in book details for one book then those settings will be applied in other books. Are you seeing something different?
Quote:

Inukami
You are welcome.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
Inukami
Zealot

Hi @chaley

No. I definitely don't think I have this feature in the iOS version. Could you send a screen shot for what it should look like? It might be good to put a screen shot image on the FAQ as well...

It would also be good if any other iOS users could confirm that this feature isn't available for iOS users just in case I'm missing something entirely.

Regarding the default part, I just assumed that by reading the FAQ, but as I'm pretty sure I don't have this feature, I can't confirm this part. This may be good to put "If you change which fields and their order in book details for one book then those settings will be applied in other books." in the FAQ as well.

I also don't think the iOS version has the backup feature as I can't find it in the settings area. Is there another way that I can backup?

Another suggestion would be to put a Feature List: iOS v Android in the FAQ showing all the features but also the differences maybe in a table or even something like Differences between the iOS and Android Versions.. Happy to help with this if needed. So far I'm aware that the iOS version doesn't have the following features:
  1. How do I choose what to see in the book details display?
  2. How do I choose which formats calibre sends and where the books are stored? Note you can choose which fomats sends in the iOS version but not where they are stored.
  3. Can I make a backup of my CC settings and CC's book database?

Obviously I would like to request all these features for the iOS version.

Inukami
Old 07-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi @chaley

No. I definitely don't think I have this feature in the iOS version. Could you send a screen shot for what it should look like? It might be good to put a screen shot image on the FAQ as well...
As I said, I don't have an iOS device. I can't get screen shots or test anything.
Quote:
I also don't think the iOS version has the backup feature as I can't find it in the settings area. Is there another way that I can backup?

Another suggestion would be to put a Feature List: iOS v Android in the FAQ showing all the features but also the differences maybe in a table or even something like Differences between the iOS and Android Versions.. Happy to help with this if needed. So far I'm aware that the iOS version doesn't have the following features:
  1. How do I choose what to see in the book details display?
    Quote:
    I added your sentence to the FAQ.
  2. How do I choose which formats calibre sends and where the books are stored? Note you can choose which fomats sends in the iOS version but not where they are stored.
    Quote:
    Steven said in this thread that he doesn't see adding the ability to specify folders as a priority.
  3. Can I make a backup of my CC settings and CC's book database?
    Quote:
    Steven will need to comment here.
There are certainly more. Some possible examples:
  • customizing the list view.
  • difference in cloud providers
  • searching differences
  • sleep screen images (I think)
  • desktop widgets (I think)
  • translations
You might ask "why are there so many differences?" The main reason is that for Android CC's 5 years of life I have been retired and able to work on CC for essentially free, basically as a hobby. Steven is in his prime years, paying a mortgage, saving for living and retirement, and raising a family. He can't give his time away like I can.

I will be visiting Steven later this month. We can talk about your suggestions then.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #5
Inukami
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
As I said, I don't have an iOS device. I can't get screen shots or test anything.
Some Android screen shots would be good too as assuming they look the same but if too much effort don't worry about it.

Quote:

There are certainly more. Some possible examples:
  • customizing the list view.
  • difference in cloud providers
  • searching differences
  • sleep screen images (I think)
  • desktop widgets (I think)
  • translations
Of course the more available features the better. I think you are correct for the desktop widgets as I can't seem to find them. Some android screen shots would be good for this as well in the FAQ.

Quote:

You might ask "why are there so many differences?" The main reason is that for Android CC's 5 years of life I have been retired and able to work on CC for essentially free, basically as a hobby. Steven is in his prime years, paying a mortgage, saving for living and retirement, and raising a family. He can't give his time away like I can.

I will be visiting Steven later this month. We can talk about your suggestions then.
Thank you. As a user I would always want to most/best features possible. I probably added more features in the iOS Wish List. I think what you guys have made is great and probably really changes things for when using Calibre. I appreciate all your time and effort.

Just out of interest, do you know what the proportion of Android and iOS users are? Assuming there are more android users?

Inukami
Advert
Old 07-13-2017, 02:27 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Just out of interest, do you know what the proportion of Android and iOS users are? Assuming there are more android users?

Inukami
I would guess a ratio of approx 50 Android users for every iOS user, ignoring the Android demo version. That ratio is reasonable, given that Android CC has been around since middle 2012 and iOS CC has been around since middle 2016.

Tags
android, calibre companion, edit book details, ios