Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 01-25-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
Liefhebber
Liefhebber began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Problems Calibre on a new NAS

We now know that it is recommended not to install Calibre on a NAS. But we have had Calibre running on a NAS (Synology) for years. We bought a new NAS (faster and bigger). Also Synology with the same OS. Now, however, we have problems.
We have tried to create the database in three ways.
1 We imported all books in Calibre from a copy of the old database. The result is a folder with a metadatafile per book, but Calibre does not import the epubs and creates no covers. In the root directory there is a small file metadata.db.
2 We paste the folder from the old copy to the new NAS. Then Calibre shows the book in the list including covers. But if we import a book we have the problem that we have been called above.
3 We told Calibre to move a correct working database to the new NAS with the same problem.
Details:
• On the old and the new NAS we have only 1 user.
• The error when importing books: locked database file
We know that a NAS is not recommended, but perhaps someone can give us a good hint.
Liefhebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I believe the rule is not to use PC workstation calibre with a NAS hosted Library. (AKA file server, network share)
Timing is everything.

I believe folk do run a Content server ON some NAS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #3
MrCaringi
Venezuelan
MrCaringi began at the beginning.

Device: PW2 (B0D4 Series)
Hola @Liefhebber

Is your SYNOLOGY NAS a INTEL based cpu?, what instructions are you following? (URL please).
MrCaringi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
Liefhebber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCaringi View Post
Hola @Liefhebber

Is your SYNOLOGY NAS a INTEL based cpu?, what instructions are you following? (URL please).
It is not intel but Marvall Armada (DS216).
We just copied the directory from the working device to the new device.
We opened Calibre and told that the library was removed to the new location. After we find out it was not working we renamed the database file for db.old, en asked Calibre to rebuild a new database file.
The old library was also placed in a Synology so we didn’t expact any troubles.
We know (since this week) it’s not recommended to put the library on a server. But for me a server or a nas is just a pc with some special functions on it.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 PM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
What Operating System are you using on the box you actually run the Calibre program from?
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2016, 05:15 AM   #6
Liefhebber

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
What Operating System are you using on the box you actually run the Calibre program from?
Windows 10 (the same machine that operates perfect with the old NAS).
Old 01-31-2016, 12:39 AM   #7
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
I was thinking you may have been using Linux and a samba/cifs share in which case a locking problem was the likely issue. This is apparently not the case. What I would suggest is a couple of tests. First, create a new library on your local machine and add a book. If this works okay create a new library on your NAS and add a book. If this works then the problem is likely a corrupted database. You should be able to fix this by using the restore database function from the library maintenance menu.

Let us know how you go.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Liefhebber

Thanks, I started again from the start: I made a new folder to start a new library. And then I noticed a difference just when exploring the new and 'old' folder with windows explorer. I think my rights on the NAS looks the same for both folders, but probably the are not.
In the new folder everything works perfect.

THANKS FOR THE HELP