Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #31
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
May I ask why? (why you changed it, not why it is difficult to read, that's too clear (no pun intended) )
The black border looked too much like mourning to me. And I hope that the new one better catches the elusive quality of her prose.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #32
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I'll put a marble bust of you on my desk. Thanks a lot once more!
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2013, 04:03 AM   #33
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v.3.0 | Update 6 March 2013

I have added to this edition all of the 383 essays which were published in magazines and newspapers but not contained in the previous essay collections, and which I have scanned and corrected myself. This collection is dedicated to Rob H.

I also fixed many OCR mistakes in some of the books, replaced the font files because of a misbehaving smallcap font, and updated the indexes for the essays.

Five volumes of diaries will follow.

Last edited by pynch; 03-06-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #34
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Did you say you'd added 383 formerly uncollected essays? That's the kind of public service which could get you elected as head librarian of Alexandria (or possibly Argentina).

Now to ready a suitable suite spot at the Chelsea for the gentleman who's vowed to confect five volumes of diaries.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-07-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #35
pynch
why in?

In order not to spoil my chances for the post of head librarian of a vanished library, I won’t answer precisely what I meant with ‘not contained in the previous essay collections’, although I would prefer the suite at the Chelsea Hotel, anyway, if only to be haunted by people dead or alive.
Advert
Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #36
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Like Bobby Dylan's ghost? He stayed up for days at the Chelsea Hotel writing "Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands" for his Sara...

Did Virginia Woolf ever stay there?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #37
pynch
why in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Did Virginia Woolf ever stay there?
I don’t think she did. But I was thinking more of Nico, Gerard Malanga et al. from this beloved and highly recommended film (my first youtube link on MR, hooray!).

EDIT:
Oops, I just remembered that it is actually my second. The first one is in the Nietzsche thread.

Last edited by pynch; 03-08-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:36 PM   #38
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It's not a real YouTube link, though. This is

Spoiler:

[YOUTUBE]jCu67dXDwTM[/YOUTUBE]
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #39
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
Yes, but this Andy Warhol movie is way too long..

You said to me when we first met: I am the person that made this hotel famous..

Spoiler:
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #40
pynch
why in?

v.4.0 | Update 29 March 2013

I have added the first two volumes of Virginia Woolf’s diaries covering the years 1915-1924. The rest will follow soon.

And here’s my favourite entry, from 26 January 1920:

Quote:
The day after my birthday; in fact I’m 38. Well, I’ve no doubt I’m a great deal happier than I was at 28; & happier today than I was yesterday having this afternoon arrived at some idea of a new form for a new novel. Suppose one thing should open out of another—as in An Unwritten Novel—only not for 10 pages but 200 or so—doesn’t that give the looseness & lightness I want: doesnt that get closer & yet keep form & speed, & enclose everything, everything? My doubt is how far it will enclose the human heart—Am I sufficiently mistress of my dialogue to net it there? For I figure that the approach will be entirely different this time: no scaffolding; scarcely a brick to be seen; all crepuscular, but the heart, the passion, humour, everything as bright as fire in the mist. Then I’ll find room for so much—a gaiety—an inconsequence—a light spirited stepping at my sweet will. Whether I’m sufficiently mistress of things—thats the doubt; but conceive mark on the wall, K. G. & unwritten novel taking hands & dancing in unity. What the unity shall be I have yet to discover: the theme is a blank to me; but I see immense possibilities in the form I hit upon more or less by chance 2 weeks ago. I suppose the danger is the damned egotistical self; which ruins Joyce & Richardson to my mind: is one pliant & rich enough to provide a wall for the book from oneself without its becoming, as in Joyce & Richardson, narrowing & restricting? My hope is that I’ve learnt my business sufficiently now to provide all sorts of entertainments. Anyhow, there’s no doubt the way lies somewhere in that direction; I must still grope & experiment but this afternoon I had a gleam of light. Indeed, I think from the ease with which I’m developing the unwritten novel there must be a path for me there.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #41
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #42
pynch
why in?

v.5.0 | Update 21 April 2013

I have added Volumes 3 and 4 of Virginia Woolf’s diaries to this edition, covering the years 1925-1935.

And here’s an excerpt from 14 March 1927, “Orlando leading to The Waves”:

Quote:
Suddenly between twelve & one I conceived a whole fantasy to be called “The Jessamy Brides”—why, I wonder? I have rayed round it several scenes. Two women, poor, solitary at the top of a house. One can see anything (for this is all fantasy) the Tower Bridge, clouds, aeroplanes. Also old men listening in the room over the way. Everything is to be tumbled in pall mall. It is to be written as I write letters at the top of my speed: on the ladies of Llangollen; on Mrs Fladgate; on people passing. No attempt is to be made to realise the character. Sapphism is to be suggested. Satire is to be the main note—satire & wildness. The Ladies are to have Constantinople in view. Dreams of golden domes. My own lyric vein is to be satirised. Everything mocked. And it is to end with three dots … so. For the truth is I feel the need of an escapade after these serious poetic experimental books whose form is always so closely considered. I want to kick up my heels & be off. I want to embody all those innumerable little ideas & tiny stories which flash into my mind at all seasons. I think this will be great fun to write; & it will rest my head before starting the very serious, mystical poetical work which I want to come next.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #43
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Jesus, I can't keep up loading your new updates onto my reader. Not sure if I ever even opened the last one.

And no, this is NOT a complaint!
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #44
pynch
why in?

Whatdoyamean? You don’t read Virginia Woolf once a week? A little essay, one of the shorter stories, some interlude from the novels? How can you live like that?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #45
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

In shame.