Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #1126
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I can also verify widgets are broken for me I tried it and got the same result, it added the book as a duplicate entry and opened it at the cover.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 AM   #1127
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
I have had serious problems with Mantano for a while now.

It seems to take very long time to open, and usually never does. Just throws up an error with the options to keep waiting, report or close. Also when switching between apps Mantano seems to start from scratch and reread the database almost everytime, which is very slow.

I have around 3800 books imported.

I have tried to reinstall a few times, and it seemed to help, but the problems came back.

I really like Mantano, and don't want to switch, but it seems that it has stopped working correctly.

Anyone else having similar problems? Perhaps even know what to do to fix it?

Last edited by Adoby; 11-11-2013 at 03:19 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #1128
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post

Anyone else having similar problems? Perhaps even know what to do to fix it?
That's alot of books I am guessing the memory on your device can't handle the size of a database or the database isn't made to handle that many books.

You can keep your books on your device in a folder structure but I would just import the ones you are going to read or reference like 1000 or less or better yet 500.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:38 AM   #1129
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I have had serious problems with Mantano for a while now.

It seems to take very long time to open, and usually never does. Just throws up an error with the options to keep waiting, report or close. Also when switching between apps Mantano seems to start from scratch and reread the database almost everytime, which is very slow.

I have tried to reinstall a few times, and it seemed to help, but the problems came back.
What did their support people say when you reported these problems to them?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 04:36 AM   #1130
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 3800 books are my main ebook library. Most of my ebooks, textbooks, references, magazines, manuals and similar. I obviously want to have them on my reading device, since that is what I use to read. There is no problem at all storing the whole library on my tablet. The library only takes up around 10 GB, and I have plenty of room left for more books. But if Mantano attempts to hold metadata for each title in RAM, instead of in a database, then it certainly could be a problem. But I haven't seen any such limitation specified anywhere? And obviously Mantano is using a database. But perhaps not for everything?

I have sent crash reports using the report function in Android, and very recently sent a message to the support but have not yet had an answer.
Advert
Old 11-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #1131
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The 3800 books are my main ebook library. Most of my ebooks, textbooks, references, magazines, manuals and similar. I obviously want to have them on my reading device, since that is what I use to read. There is no problem at all storing the whole library on my tablet. The library only takes up around 10 GB, and I have plenty of room left for more books. But if Mantano attempts to hold metadata for each title in RAM, instead of in a database, then it certainly could be a problem. But I haven't seen any such limitation specified anywhere? And obviously Mantano is using a database. But perhaps not for everything?

I have sent crash reports using the report function in Android, and very recently sent a message to the support but have not yet had an answer.
I just don't see Mantano being able to handle that many books which is why I would go with a folder structure method instead and only import as needed but what device is this? It could be your device isn't able to handle it.

Support takes forever with Mantano but they do read them they may not answer you though. It took nearly a year for them to fix Mantano to work on the Kindle Fire v1 after I submitted a request.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:31 AM   #1132
Adoby
Handy Elephant

My device is a Motorola Xoom as per my profile.
I have become used to having all my ebooks immediately available on my reading device, and to using the excellent Mantano bookshelf to find the book I am looking for, using tags, author, series, title or collection. I have the library in 55 separate collections, loosely based on genre.

What do you see as the limitation? Why shouldn't Mantano be able to handle many more books?

I have done yet another reinstall and reimported all the books again. But this time without reading the covers. So far that seems to have helped. No crash yet... Perhaps there is some part of Mantano that attempts to keep thumbnails of the covers in RAM. That could be the cause?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:46 AM   #1133
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
My device is a Motorola Xoom as per my profile.
I have become used to having all my ebooks immediately available on my reading device, and to using the excellent Mantano bookshelf to find the book I am looking for, using tags, author, series, title or collection. I have the library in 55 separate collections, loosely based on genre.

What do you see as the limitation? Why shouldn't Mantano be able to handle many more books?

I have done yet another reinstall and reimported all the books again. But this time without reading the covers. So far that seems to have helped. No crash yet... Perhaps there is some part of Mantano that attempts to keep thumbnails of the covers in RAM. That could be the cause?
I remember when they first intro collections there was reports of people piling books on the app and I remember Mantano saying that there was some limitation but they were working on a cloud feature to help with those who needed access to alot of books.

I'm not sure about the thumbnails but I have been reading up on your tablet there is alot of reports of it crashing and freezes so it could just be your device is not able to handle it. Mantano is finicky. Sometimes it's just force closes for no reason.

Now that all said with 3800 books it could be something as simple as a corrupted book file and not related to the database or ram. If that is the case simply removing the bad book or books would fix it.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #1134
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Well, my Xoom must be the exception. I have no problems with it, except recently when using Mantano. And not even that if I skip the covers of the books.

And as said, it seems that Mantano works fine on my Xoom, now. As long as I don't read the covers on my books during import. Covers are nice, but having access to my library is nicer. When I open a book, the cover is cached, so the books I read will have covers after a while... Hopefully Mantano can figure out what the problem is, if it really is related to the covers, as I strongly suspect.

If it was a corrupt book, then I would expect that to show up during the import. And it doesn't. Only after when using Mantano. The import works fine. All the books comes from calibre using save to device.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #1135
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Well, my Xoom must be the exception. I have no problems with it, except recently when using Mantano. And not even that if I skip the covers of the books.

And as said, it seems that Mantano works fine on my Xoom, now. As long as I don't read the covers on my books during import. Covers are nice, but having access to my library is nicer. When I open a book, the cover is cached, so the books I read will have covers after a while... Hopefully Mantano can figure out what the problem is, if it really is related to the covers, as I strongly suspect.

If it was a corrupt book, then I would expect that to show up during the import. And it doesn't. Only after when using Mantano. The import works fine. All the books comes from calibre using save to device.
Not necessarily. I have imported bad books before on it. There are really several things it could be. Are you deleting the Mantano folder after you uninstall? A clean install would be uninstalling the app, then deleting the Mantano folder and restarting the device then reinstalling.

What version are you using? I know the latest one is very buggy I downgraded to 2.4 which seems okay but it does force close when I mess with the cloud sometimes.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #1136
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Yes, I do a complete reinstall after deleting all Mantano related folders and rebooting.

For my 10 GB library that means 1.2 GB data with cached thumbnails and around 11 000 "items"...

I use the latest Mantano Premium 2.4.4. Works fine for me, except for the covers.

But it might be possible that they recently have attempted to improve performance by caching covers.

I can access the library now, except for the covers, so there is no panic. We'll see what Mantano support has to say. I updated my support request with information that everything seems to work if I don't read the covers during import.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #1137
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I've also got problems with Mantano. I've got just under 800 books in it and am also getting the slowdown when launching it, can take up to a minute.

Also it I annotate or highlight any text I can find that it creates local copies of the book outside of my collections and these have missing metadata (no author, etc), so when I sync with the cloud, the annotations don't get uploaded.

And the cloud syncing seems not to be working properly either, as frequently my last page read isn't the page I get available on my other devices, might have something to do with the annotion issue.

Another cloud sync issue I have is that when I do a manuall sync, it keeps downloading covers for every book, so for almost 800 books, syncing takes a long time, and my book covers do get shown, just a generic thumbnail.

My library is also not behaving correctly, it never remembers which collection I'm in when I restart it and am in the all books list. The one thing it does remember is whether I had anything expanded or collaped in the library, or at least the + and - signs remember I have the pre-defined collapsed and two collections expanded to show sub-collections. Unfortunately the pre-defined is actually show expanded and my collections collapsed, so I need to click on the +/- symbol so it becomes correct, and then click on it again to show the correct behaviour.

I haven't reinstalled it on any of my devices, but I have recently purchased a Nexus 7 (2013) and loaded it onto that, and I'm also getting this on that tablet.

I mailed them and they said they were looking at this.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #1138
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post

And the cloud syncing seems not to be working properly either, as frequently my last page read isn't the page I get available on my other devices, might have something to do with the annotion issue.

Another cloud sync issue I have is that when I do a manuall sync, it keeps downloading covers for every book, so for almost 800 books, syncing takes a long time, and my book covers do get shown, just a generic thumbnail.

I haven't reinstalled it on any of my devices, but I have recently purchased a Nexus 7 (2013) and loaded it onto that, and I'm also getting this on that tablet.

I mailed them and they said they were looking at this.
Sounds similar to my problems I just deleted everything off the cloud and plan to start over. I think something on their server corrupted my books because it tells me a few of them are locked with DRM and they aren't they are all open epub.

It will probably take several versions to get a stable build again. I'll stick with 2.4 till I hear better. If I have to downgrade I have a stable version from August but I don't want to go that far back.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #1139
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I'll persevere for the time being until I here a bit more back from them, using the Nexus 7 only. It's not so big a reader I can't keep it with me for travelling and work, but not too small for when I'm ensconced at home in a comfy armchair.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #1140
Adoby
Handy Elephant

Nope, I was wrong. It didn't help to skip the covers. After a restart of the device I couldn't start Mantano. It seemed to work perfectly, but presumably the problem appears when you exit and then open an already imported library of books. Everything works fine so long you don't exit Mantano, after the initial import.