Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 AM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Onyx Boox N96 that won't charge or turn on

I have a Onyx Boox N96 that won't charge or turn on. I have been charging it since 5 PM on 6/12/ and the indicator light hasn't even turned on. Though sometimes it seems like it might be flickering faintly. I have tried restarting it, and I even opened it up. The battery seemed fine, no signs of damage. I even removed the battery for a minute and put it back in, as I had heard that might help, but it did nothing. I was hoping someone might help me to restore the battery, or at least tell me where I might be able to buy a replacement.

Update: I've been looking up OEM replacement batteries. So far I haven't been able to find the exact model number for the battery. It's "328590." I've found several with the correct amount of wires (3), the right voltage (3.7), and the right mah (3000). Does the model number have to be exactly the same to be compatible?

Last edited by sneakyspider; 06-15-2018 at 09:57 AM.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
sneakyspider
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

With a little help from others, I think I was able to find the right battery. I hope it works, but it's being sold from China and will take at least 10 days to arrive, likely more. I'm hoping that a new battery will fix the problem.
Old 06-17-2018, 12:03 AM   #3
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Are you sure it's not the dimensions? Batteries have numbers on them that indicate thickness, width, length. In this case 328590 might mean 3.2mm thick, 8.5mm width, and 90mm long. However, if that were the case it should really be 32850900. Since you've opened the case you should be able to verify this by measuring the length and width yourself.

Whether I'm right or not about the numbers above you should have numbers somewhere that will show the approximate dimensions you should be looking for.

P.S. do an advanced search of the Onyx Boox forum for battery replacement. I believe it's come up for M96 before so something useful might have been mentioned. The M96 and N96 are pretty similar after all.

Last edited by bsnick; 06-17-2018 at 12:16 AM.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
sneakyspider

I had not thought of that. Although, I have since taken the batteries' dimensions. I did do a brief search of the forum, but so far nothing helpful has come up.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:02 AM   #5
comercializado
comercializado began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96CML
I have the same problem with the battery and I need to change it, you could put the provider's link because I can not find it.

Thank you very much
comercializado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:05 AM   #6
comercializado

I have the same problem with the battery and I need to change it, you could put the provider's link because I can not find it.

Thank you very much
Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
sneakyspider

Sorry for my late reply. I don't have the link handy at the moment, but I can get it to you in a few hours.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
My N96 right now, after a year of moderate use, can't survive a couple of hours
of battery :-(
I would love the battery seller link also.
Can you be so kind to also publish a video about the disassembling procedure?
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 03:14 AM   #9
comercializado

In Aliexpress if you type the number of the battery (actually it is your size) you will see a list of them, you should ask for the one that looks closest to the one you have. As the reception takes about 45 days I have provisionally put a battery of Samsumg (of a mobile phone) of 2,450 Ma. And it works perfectly. The opening of the Onyx is something more delicate, in my case you have to remove the 2 screws from the bottom and with a util (the triangle) to open the sides very carefully so as not to break any flanges. It is not difficult, but you have to be very careful. I'm sorry but I do not have time to make a video.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Thank you.
i'm trying to ask Booxtor if maybe he can sell the proper battery.
I'm not so sure about the triangle tool you said.
I will try to unscrew the two torx and see if i can figure it out slowly...
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
we have a few replacement batteries for N96 series in stock. The price would be EUR 10 + 6 EUR shipping. We just don't sell them, since we actually are not allowed to ship LiPo batteries using German post. We just do it in exceptional cases and sometimes German post just returns our sending (but not paid fees).

Disassembly of N96 is not easy but possible. Unfortunately we don't have any N96 devices anymore in order to record a "howto" video of disassembly. In our lab we are using hot air (e.g. you could use an hair dryer) to warm up the bezel of the device and afterwards it can be dismounted. It is stuck to the housing by double-sided adhesive tape. The rest is almost self explaining - screw off and remove front panel and you would be able to see the battery. The battery is also stuck to the housing by double-sided adhesive tape. Be careful by dismounting it. We used sometimes just an old plastic card as dismounting tool.

If you don't want to replace it yourself, we could replace the battery in our lab. You would just need to send it to our maintenance office. The price would be 10 EUR battery + shipping cost.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote