Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #1
Wolfsbruder
Connoisseur
Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wolfsbruder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Forma, Kobo Elipsa
Firmware 3.12.0

Never Mind

Last edited by Wolfsbruder; 12-05-2014 at 12:17 AM. Reason: deleting
Wolfsbruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 AM   #2
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfsbruder View Post
Never Mind
Maybe later, no bugs at all will not be possible
Nick_1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 02:37 AM   #3
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Is this update just for adding the review tab on Kobo books?
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:39 AM   #4
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dunno, the release link in the message does not work ( at this moment)
Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 AM   #5
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I updated and the "New Features" tile only showed the review thingy.
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 02:43 AM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
I downloaded 3.12 successfully on my Glo.

Here is the total contents of the release notes as linked by araysi in the Firmware thread:

Ratings and reviews

Tap the new Reviews tab on your book’s Details screen to see what other Kobo readers have to say. Add your own reviews for books you’ve read… but no spoilers, please!

Edit
The new Reviews tab must only be on the kepubs, definitely not on my sideloaded cleaned epub.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:50 AM   #7
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I downloaded 3.12 successfully on my Glo.

Here is the total contents of the release notes as linked by araysi in the Firmware thread:

Ratings and reviews

Tap the new Reviews tab on your book’s Details screen to see what other Kobo readers have to say. Add your own reviews for books you’ve read… but no spoilers, please!

Edit
The new Reviews tab must only be on the kepubs, definitely not on my sideloaded cleaned epub.
I always wait A while,it would not be the first time that a release will be pulled off or destroy it so a factory reset has to be done,and without the needed patches every new firmware is useless for me,i will not destroy my lay-out as it now is,for new unpatched firmware but I do hope that there are more things fixed or added then the one u post about
Old 12-05-2014, 03:00 AM   #8
hleo12
Guru

Another thing is with the Recommended For You section. After the update, when you tap on the tile, it will ask a bunch of questions and you have to give book titles. It's supposed to help kobo make better recommendations.

But...

I've done it four times but it won't show me any recommendations. It just keeps looping back to the start of the survey...

update: I don't know why, but not getting into my Recommended annoys the living daylights out of me...

Last edited by hleo12; 12-05-2014 at 03:04 AM. Reason: update
Old 12-05-2014, 03:22 AM   #9
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
Another thing is with the Recommended For You section. After the update, when you tap on the tile, it will ask a bunch of questions and you have to give book titles. It's supposed to help kobo make better recommendations.

But...

I've done it four times but it won't show me any recommendations. It just keeps looping back to the start of the survey...

update: I don't know why, but not getting into my Recommended annoys the living daylights out of me...
Flash back to 3.11.0 then maybe they get back, i never check it,Kobo never gives me a recommendation that was useful for me.
If only the thing ratings and recommendation is changed, I don't upgrade.
Old 12-05-2014, 04:30 AM   #10
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
The first post of the Direct Links to Kobo Firmware thread has been updated. And will be updated as more information becomes available.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
As people have noticed, firmware version 3.12.0 has been released. Kobo have said this will be sent to the Glo, Aura, Aura HD and Aura H2O,

Firstly: the comments and lists of changes below are based on the notes I took during the beta. Under no circumstances should it be considered an official list or complete. It is just my personal list and I tend to concentrate on the parts of the firmware that I use. I use a Glo and a Touch N905 for the testing.

This release is all about reviews. Kobo have added them to the shop in the last month. And now they are on the device. To be honest, having reviews in the shop is something they should have done a long time ago. Having them on the device makes sense.

The reviews are displayed as a separate tab on the details of any kepub from the shop and in the shop. You can read the reviews or write your own. This works OK, but typing is fairly clumsy. The field for the actual review is a bit small so it is hard to view the complete text as you type. Personally, I'll be using the web site if I want to review a book.

You can also simply rate the books. This will be counted as part of the rating in the shop. But, this comes at a loss. Ratings for all other book types has been removed. That means you can't rate your sideloaded books.

Kobo also said the Recommendations engine has been reworked. This includes three questions for new users to get an initial idea of what they like. I haven't seen this. I can't comment on the improvements to the recommendations, as they have been reasonable good for me for a long time. Unlike other people, I have found the recommendations to be reasonably good. There are always a few strange suggestions, but usually about half are books I would consider buying or already have in paper or from some other shop.

So, the change I know of are:
  • Reviews.
  • Recommendation engine has been reworked.
  • Rating removed for sideloaded books
  • Order of images in CBZ now respects the folders.
    This will only affect new CBZ's sideloaded. Any that are already on the device will need to be removed and sent to the device again.
  • Font Avenir Next has been fixed.It now displays bold, italics and bold italics correctly.
  • San-serif fallback font in ePubs now displays bold, italics and bold italics properly. I assume this is because it uses Avenir Next
  • "Table of Contents" has an underline in the navigation bar. This is to make it more obvious that it is a link.
  • "Books" link added to finishing page of kepubs

Bugs that have not been fixed:
  • Annotations - Have not fixed the problem with reopening epub on the main memory messing up the percent read and the chapter the book is in.
  • Fonts - Kobo Nickel, Ryumin and Gothic still have the same problems.
  • "Date added" sorting in a collection is still wrong.
  • SD card in Touch is not recognized after a restart.
  • Caching of covers is unchanged.

I have already made the change to calibre to support this firmware version. Unfortunately, there won't be a calibre release this week. There probably will be one in the middle of next week. But, as the only change needed was an update to the supported firmware and database versions, you can safely use the "Attempt to support newer firmware versions" option in the driver.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #12
Nick_1964
Bookworm

Thanks Davidfor, as I only use sideloaded epubs and only own one book from the Kobostore,this update add's nothing for me.
It seems that Kobo wants to have their store better by the reviews but personally I don't think that a lot of people from my country will use it so there will not be much reviews for books in my language.
As of the joint venture with Bol.com they combined the stores and a lot of books in the online Dutch Kobo store are now DRM protected epubs,which will not be synchronised at all and there is no reason to use the kobo store if they don't sync your books from Bol or the epubs.
So I skip this one
Old 12-05-2014, 05:30 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@davidfor: Of course, I'm still on 3.11.5 Have to love it eh....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:37 AM   #14
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Thought you'd all like to know that the kobobooks.com website has also been upgraded. I've listed some of the changes (including pics) in the Discounts thread.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-05-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: typo
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Once we get the patches, I'll upgrade uf nothing else then to have font-family: sans-serif fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote