Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Gifting Kobo eBooks?

Is there a way to gift an eBook to a person with a Sony reader? I understand that Kobo picked up the Sony eBooks business, and the person has a Sony eBook reader (plus a Samsung Android tablet), so they are on Kobo now, but I could not figure out how to give them an eBook they want for Christmas. The Youtube video:

http://youtu.be/PqJjcDHr81Y

shows a Give as Gift button, but I actually cannot find that at all when I find the book, so I assume that is not working any longer. Shame really, looked pretty simple.

I went to a web site mentioned in another post:

http://www.kobobooks.com/gifting

But that seems to just refer me to the store, which again has no "Send as Gift" option, at least that I could find.
  1. Did Kobo take away the "Send as Gift" option?
  2. Is there any other way to do it?

I suppose I could give them a gift card, but it seems kind of impersonal, and I would rather give them an eBook than a printed book.

Suggestions?
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Would you please post the full YouTube link in place of the shortcut link? There are some people (like myself) that will not click on these shortcut links. MR support full links so there is no need for shortcuts. Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You do realize, I hope, that a youtu.be shortened link is generally to YouTube, if not, it is explained here:

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2...ube-links.html

but anyway, easy enough to repost as a video.

Last edited by pwjone1; 12-19-2014 at 05:43 AM. Reason: Fix link
Old 12-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
pwjone1
Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwjone1 View Post

...or maybe not. For some reason, doesn't look like the YouTube embed works. Odd, after I posted it in the YOUTUBE tags, it still won't play. Interesting.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

Quote:
...or maybe not. For some reason, doesn't look like the YouTube embed works. Odd, after I posted it in the YOUTUBE tags, it still won't play. Interesting.
How's this?

And here is the full list of MR supported bbcode: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/mis...bbcode#youtube

[YOUTUBE]PqJjcDHr81Y[/YOUTUBE]

(Using the [NOPARSE][/NOPARSE] bbcode (to noparse itself, even). )

Last edited by eschwartz; 12-17-2014 at 08:30 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I believe that Gifting as shown there no longer exists.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
pwjone1
Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I believe that Gifting as shown there no longer exists.
Bummer. I could not find the buttons in the video, but was kind of hoping I was just doing something wrong.

You would think that once they got this working, Kobo would have left it up. There web site seems a bit confused:

http://www.kobobooks.com/giftideas#egifting

Not quite but pretty close to a dead link.

I'd prefer to give eBooks instead of Gift cards. Looks like Kobo doesn't have many places carrying the gift cards:

http://www.kobo.com/giftcards/wheretobuy

Lists basically Fry's Electronics, which is about 600 miles from where I am. Kobo seems a bit confused themselves:

http://www.kobobooks.com/giftideas#giftcards

Says 600 stores in the U.S., but there are not that many Fry's electronics. Odd too that they list Best Buy in Canada, but not the U.S.

The forum seem to have a lot of complaints about Kobo gift cards not working. Has anyone actual recent experience with them?

I am really beginning to wonder if I should just by the person a Kindle for Christmas, they are all on sale, and then gifting eBooks works fine. Doesn't look like Google Play does book gifting (but their Gift cards seem ubiquitous), and an iPad is a bit pricy (though they do have some sort of Android tablet). This Kobo stuff, yes they have books there from Sony, but I am wondering if the whole thing is a lost cause.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #8
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
One option with Kobo is e-gift cards. They also make a great way to buy a bunch of books from them at one time. Buy the gift card, apply it to your account, and away you go.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
One option with Kobo is e-gift cards. They also make a great way to buy a bunch of books from them at one time. Buy the gift card, apply it to your account, and away you go.
Already considered:

Quote:
I'd prefer to give eBooks instead of Gift cards.
I suspect this is about the more "personal" giving of an actual book rather than mere money.

(My personal rants are about people who give me gift cards, and specifically when they give me gift cards to Target and <shudder/> Barnes & Noble <ward/> .)
Old 12-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Is there a way to gift an eBook to a person with a Sony reader? I understand that Kobo picked up the Sony eBooks business, and the person has a Sony eBook reader (plus a Samsung Android tablet), so they are on Kobo now, but I could not figure out how to give them an eBook they want for Christmas.
Sonys read epubs, so you can buy from any epub retailer, not just Kobo.

OmniLit is one retailer that allows gifting books. You buy the book on your account, and then you have the choice of downloading it or gifting it to someone else.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:01 AM   #11
pwjone1
Bookie

I had a look at Rakuten.com , since they own Kobo, but no Gift cards there. Interesting that the owning company doesn't have the gift cards (they seemed to have a lot). Kobo/Rakuten is not making this easy on me.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 AM   #12
pwjone1
Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
I wonder if this is different for different people, as I get:

http://www.kobo.com/egiftcards

Sorry, but this page isn’t available.
To see the great Kobo offerings that are available to you, please go to: http://store.kobobooks.com

___

Looks like:

http://www.kobo.com/egiftcards?___st...style=onestore

Is a "better" link, at least for me, but not that much better as it yields:

We're sorry, but eGift cards are not available at this time.

If you like, you can purchase Kobo gift cards from one of our retail partners.
__

which, of course, I am having trouble finding.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:16 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice

Please take a few moments to look at our Posting Guidelines and note in particular the portion of section 8 that states:

URL shortening services may not be used.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:32 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

What url shortening service was used? If you mean the youtu.be one, that is not comparable at all...
Old 12-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Hmnn. Interesting. My best guess is that e-gift cards aren't available to US customers. How very odd.

I really can't blame US consumers for choosing Kindle over Kobo. As Kobo was unable to make any real dent in the US market, they pretty much ignore it now.

For Canadians, it's pretty much the opposite. Our market has never really been a priority for Amazon. We're an afterthought.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gift send