Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-30-2016, 03:52 AM   #1
mcam
mcam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Virtual Library++

Is there a way to create a virtual library consisting of an arbitrary subset of books? I want to be able to create a virtual library for each project I'm working on, and assign relevant books to it. Currently I'm doing this by using tags, but a virtual library would be a more elegant (and more convenient) solution.
mcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 04:04 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcam View Post
Is there a way to create a virtual library consisting of an arbitrary subset of books? I want to be able to create a virtual library for each project I'm working on, and assign relevant books to it. Currently I'm doing this by using tags, but a virtual library would be a more elegant (and more convenient) solution.
Well, you could use the tag as a search criterion for the VL. Add the tag as you do now, and use a search for the tags' existence as the VL.

As the books need something in common to be able to be selected, your tag is as good as any.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 04:35 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Well, you could use the tag as a search criterion for the VL. Add the tag as you do now, and use a search for the tags' existence as the VL.

As the books need something in common to be able to be selected, your tag is as good as any.
Or in order to not pollute the tags, create a like-tags custom column and enter the project names there. I suggest like-tags so a book can be in more than one project. If that cannot happen then perhaps text with a fixed set of values would be better.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:22 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcam View Post
I make use of the Reading List plug-in for arbitrary grouping of books. No tags or extra columns needed. Create the list and add/remove books from lists, a book can be in multiple lists.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-30-2016 at 06:25 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:37 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply create a virtual library based on tags or a custom column. Then if you want to assign a book to the virtual library simply drag and drop the book from the book list to the tag in the tag browser, and the book is assigned to the virtual library. What about this workflow is substantially different from being able to assign books directly to a virttual library?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2016, 06:41 AM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
JS+ GUI Tool

The Job Spy plug-in has a "VL Helper" GUI tool that does exactly what you are requesting.

Virtual Library Helper - Create Search Criteria Using Selected Book IDs

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=269911

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #7
mcam
mcam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's what I'm doing at present - actually I have added a custom column instead of using tags, as Kovid and others here have suggested. Works OK, somewhat like collections on the Kindle.

Last edited by mcam; 09-30-2016 at 08:18 AM.
mcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:33 PM   #8
solrach
solrach began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
For a similar needs, I created a custom column with prefixed tags (Ex project 1, project 2, etc.) and then drag and drop de books in the tags to that column on the left menu

The same book may be dragged (and tagged) for several columns (projects) and you can select the colum tag in the left (ej project 1) and all the books related are selected automatically.
solrach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
virtual library