Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #316
Stevex
Addict
Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Stevex is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
How would one install a program for a single user on a multi-user, stand-alone PC (something that Windows certainly seems to support) if the binary wasn't installed to AppData?

If installed to Program Files or Program Files (x86), any user could launch it, no?
The other side of that coin is programs that install themselves in every users roaming profile and with an autoexec such as dropbox and a pc with a dozen roaming profiles on it has a dozen copies of these things that all start up simultaneously with the pc.
Stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #317
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Install the executable in "Program Files"; put the configuration data in either the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER" branch of the Registry, or in AppData. Other users won't see the app because it will appear neither in their "Start" menu nor their desktop.
That doesn't sound like "installed for a single user" to me. Anybody could make a shortcut to Program Files. What you're describing sounds like "installed for all users, configured for only one." Why even make a distinction between installed for one/installed for all if the only difference between the two is a shortcut?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-08-2017 at 04:39 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #318
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That doesn't sound like "installed for a single user" to me. Anybody could make a shortcut to Program Files. What you're describing sounds like "installed for all users, only configured for one." Why even make a distinction between installed for one/installed for all if the only difference between the two is a shortcut?
Because the idea is that if you install it for user "A" and you subsequently decide that you want it to be available to user "B" as well, it's simply a case of setting up the appropriate configuration for user B, rather than installing a complete duplicate of the application. Ie executables are common, but configuration is user-specific. (That's exactly what Calibre does, for example.)

How do other operating systems handle this?

Last edited by HarryT; 11-29-2017 at 07:29 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #319
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How do other operating systems handle this?
They don't (at least as far as Linux is concerned). Package management software/repositories typically only deal with system-wide installs. But many custom program installers provide the ability to install entirely within a user's home directory (not to mention the ability to change install locations by custom compiling).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-29-2017 at 04:01 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:09 PM   #320
Conan46
Fanatic
Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conan46 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 3
When I upgraded one of my Windows 10 installs from Windows 7 it kept the default generic user and made that generic user a 'super user'. So when I signed into my MS account it created a second user 'me' via my MS user account and it synced with my other Windows 10 install on another laptop. Problem was it left generic user as super user and I had to use my password for everything, installing programs, any changes I wanted to make, and some changes I simply could not make. Once I made myself super user I no longer needed to use a password for everything. This reminds me somewhat of Linux. Debian wants a password for everything and wants separate user accounts to have different privileges. Ubuntu makes the user a super user and is more like the generic setup with a signed in user on Windows 10, or so it seems to me.
Conan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 12:28 AM   #321
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The other reason for installs to AppData is to support roaming apps; in an Active Directory environment AppData/Roaming is replicated to and from the server infrastructure as a user logs on and off the PC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Ummm... not to mention multi-gigabytes of files on their desktop being replicated. Where I work, corporate policy has been to disable roaming profiles ever since certain geniuses started storing work related video files on their desktops. Nothing like the conversation when you try to explain that a 20-30 minute bootup time when copying a 38GB profile is about right to make you wonder why you work with <expletive deleted> maroons.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #322
kirdek138
kirdek138 will become famous soon enoughkirdek138 will become famous soon enoughkirdek138 will become famous soon enoughkirdek138 will become famous soon enoughkirdek138 will become famous soon enoughkirdek138 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Maaaan thank you ! You're a GOD ! I've searched the web many hours before seeing your post.
I thank the world to have people like you who are increbly competent and that want to help the others with their knowledge !
You make a better internet

Thanks again !
kirdek138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #323
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Bought a book from Amazon today and clicked on the Kindle for PC link to download it - and even though I have the do not automatically update button set, it updated it to version 1.21.

I did option 2 from the first post - opening a command prompt and it worked on my Windows 10 computer. THANK YOU!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:58 AM   #324
HWLange
HWLange began at the beginning.

Device: SONY reader
Calibre 3

Is Calibre 3.x able to convert the KFX format ?
HWLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:51 AM   #325
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWLange View Post
Is Calibre 3.x able to convert the KFX format ?
There is a plugin that can import unencrypted KFX files. Currently I'd recommend avoiding KFX if possible, if you want to convert to (say) ePub.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #326
Ah234
Ah234 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This might be helpful to some. Rather than constantly trying to update plugins etc., the manual approach of screenshots and OCRs is a little slower but is bullet-proof.

Download the open-source 'LightScreen'. In the options set a directory to where all screenshots will be saved. Set it to capture the full screen with the hot key of your choice (e.g. Prnt).

Open Kindle, set it to full-screen mode. Select a smallish font size. Turn off highlighting as this messes with the OCR. Start at page 1. Press one of the arrow keys to go to the next page. Press Prnt to capture. Press the arrow key again for the next page. Press Prnt. This can be done at a rate of about 1 page a second until the whole book has been captured.

After a few minutes you'll have a folder full of screenshots, each numbered consecutively. In Windows 10 select all the screenshots, then right click 'Print' and then 'Print to PDF'. All the screenshots are combined into one PDF.

The resulting PDF can then be opened in the opensource 'FreeOCR' and converted into text.
Ah234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #327
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Method 2 : after verifying that the renderer-test.exe is in C:\Users\my name\AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application, I entered the following

C:\Users\my name>ren %localappdata%\Amazon\Kindle\application\renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx

which was rejected as incorrect.

Can somebody tell me how I should write it? I'm a command window neophyte, and have no idea of the syntax (for example why the %localappdata% instead of \AppData\Local).
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #328
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Can somebody tell me how I should write it? I'm a command window neophyte, and have no idea of the syntax (for example why the %localappdata% instead of \AppData\Local).
%localappdata% is supposed to be equivalent to AppData\Local within your user profile directory. If you have a command window open with your user directory as the current directory then the following should work:

Code:
ren AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx
Alternatively you could navigate to this directory and rename the renderer-test.exe file using the Explorer GUI. (You would need to enable display of file name extensions and hidden items for this to work.)

I cannot explain why some users have trouble using %localappdata%. It was added to Windows starting with Vista.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #329
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
%localappdata% is supposed to be equivalent to AppData\Local within your user profile directory. If you have a command window open with your user directory as the current directory then the following should work:

Code:
ren AppData\Local\Amazon\Kindle\application\renderer-test.exe renderer-test.xxx
Alternatively you could navigate to this directory and rename the renderer-test.exe file using the Explorer GUI. (You would need to enable display of file name extensions and hidden items for this to work.)

I cannot explain why some users have trouble using %localappdata%. It was added to Windows starting with Vista.
Thank you, the code worked. I'll have to wait until I next buy an Amazon book to test it, since I asked for a refund and bought the book concerned from ebook.de - surprinsingly, they often have a better price than most for epubs in euros those days.

FYI I'm on Windows 10 version 1709.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:23 AM   #330
bmbosse
bmbosse began at the beginning.

Device: Nook e-ink
Thank You!! copy and pasted the code and it worked perfectly!
bmbosse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc