Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
Merudo
Merudo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD - Can't see books to buy in another language!

Hello all,

I'm trying to see the list of books to buy while browsing from the Kobo Aura HD (connected to wifi)

Unfortunately, I only see books in English! My dad doesn't read English very well and I would like to get him books in his language.

I noticed on the kobo.com website, I can select a subcategory and then choose a language to only see books in that language.

Sadly, I can't find this feature while trying to buy books from the Kobo reader itself! There is simply no "language" option to refine my searches...

Anyone got an idea how to do that on the reader? My dad is really disappointed as he can't buy new books while traveling unless he uses another computer.
Merudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From what I have seen mentioned here, Kobo seem to make it hard to buy books in different languages. It seems a bit short sighted as an ereader should be a great device for reading in whatever language you want to. It doesn't affect me directly as, according to my wife, I can barely speak English.

Having said that, I can think of two things to try. One is to set the devices language to the language you want to buy books in. The other is to change your profile on the shop site to a country that uses that language. The latter might be needed as Kobo, like most other shops, restrict the availability of books by country.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Merudo
Merudo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From what I have seen mentioned here, Kobo seem to make it hard to buy books in different languages. It seems a bit short sighted as an ereader should be a great device for reading in whatever language you want to. It doesn't affect me directly as, according to my wife, I can barely speak English.

Having said that, I can think of two things to try. One is to set the devices language to the language you want to buy books in. The other is to change your profile on the shop site to a country that uses that language. The latter might be needed as Kobo, like most other shops, restrict the availability of books by country.
The device language has always been set to the language (French) I want to buy books in. This doesn't fix the issue.

Changing country is not possible as it required having billing information in that country. Beside, our country has French as an official language.

It seems to be that Kobo for some reason didn't enable the reader to browser books by language. This is extremely disappointing and makes it next to impossible to buy books from the reader.

My dad is considering returning the device because this crucial feature is missing.

Last edited by Merudo; 12-27-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Merudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Your only option might require buying books from another source that sells French epub books with Adobe DRM. After buying your books report here how you had to buy books from a Kobo competitor because you couldn't buy books from Kobo. If more book buyers report they can't buy books from Kobo, this might help Kobo decide to fix this problem.

Last edited by filmo; 12-27-2013 at 11:05 PM.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:08 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merudo View Post
The device language has always been set to the language (French) I want to buy books in. This doesn't fix the issue.

Changing country is not possible as it required having billing information in that country. Beside, our country has French as an official language.
Kobo isn't that strict on the address. I just wandered around the world on the purchase page to see how much a book was in various countries. All I had to do was change the country. I think the only issue will be if your credit card cannot be used internationally. You can also use PayPal or buy a gift card.
Quote:
It seems to be that Kobo for some reason didn't enable the reader to browser books by language. This is extremely disappointing and makes it next to impossible to buy books from the reader.

My dad is considering returning the device because this crucial feature is missing.
It pretty stupid of Kobo, especially for French language books. As a Canadian company, I would have thought that at least French would be handled.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
have you tried changing the affiliation to FNAC? That might direct you straight to the french bookshop.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote