Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 08:32 AM   #26641
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely excellent book. Very highly recommended, and I look forward to reading more by this author.
Added to my wishlist. Thanks!
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 AM   #26642
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Added to my wishlist. Thanks!
I think I bought the whole series years ago in an Amazon sale for 99p each. I see they are a rather expensive £6.99 each at present, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #26643
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
I think I bought the whole series years ago in an Amazon sale for 99p each. I see they are a rather expensive £6.99 each at present, unfortunately.
I've got The Engines of God lined up for my chronological challenge next year. My current policy is not to buy the second one until I know I like the first one, even if it is only 99p.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #26644
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just finished the fourth of P. D. James Inspector Adam Dalgliesh series, Shroud for a Nightingale. I'm really enjoying this series this time around. I originally tried to read the first couple many, many years ago, and got bogged down somehow. But this time I'm finding them very enjoyable, especially James' elegant writing.

This book doesn't have a UK Audible edition, unfortunately. The UK Audible versions, with narration by Daniel Weyman, are excellent, while the US Audible narrations don't work as well for me. And, of course, the eBooks are way cheaper in the UK, with better WhisperSync deals!

I'll be reading the next in the series, The Black Tower shortly, but first a quick re-read of four short Liaden stories from Sharon Lee and Steve Miller that were just released as a pair of chapbooks. And after that, I need to buckle down and read this month's MobileRead Book Club selection, Sylvie and Bruno.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:41 AM   #26645
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading Starliner (2nd ed.) by David Drake.
Quote:
I like David Drake's books, generally speaking, but this one didn't impress me at all. I'll be interested to hear your take on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Me too.
Apache

Well, it wasn't bad. But it's far from his best book. It didn't really engage me as much as his books usually do.

Next up: Asimov's SF, Nov/Dec 2017.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2017, 07:52 AM   #26646
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I've got The Engines of God lined up for my chronological challenge next year. My current policy is not to buy the second one until I know I like the first one, even if it is only 99p.
Well, buying the whole series of 7 for 99p each is cheaper than buying just the first for £6.99, so I've no regrets at doing so. Thus far, buying whole series when Amazon have their occasional "Big Deal" on them has worked out pretty well for me - I can't think of any that I've not enjoyed.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #26647
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm mostly finished with Moon Over Soho by Ben Aaronovitch.

Quote:
BODY AND SOUL

The song. That’s what London constable and sorcerer’s apprentice Peter Grant first notices when he examines the corpse of Cyrus Wilkins, part-time jazz drummer and full-time accountant, who dropped dead of a heart attack while playing a gig at Soho’s 606 Club. The notes of the old jazz standard are rising from the body—a sure sign that something about the man’s death was not at all natural but instead supernatural.

Body and soul—they’re also what Peter will risk as he investigates a pattern of similar deaths in and around Soho. With the help of his superior officer, Detective Chief Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last registered wizard in England, and the assistance of beautiful jazz aficionado Simone Fitzwilliam, Peter will uncover a deadly magical menace—one that leads right to his own doorstep and to the squandered promise of a young jazz musician: a talented trumpet player named Richard “Lord” Grant—otherwise known as Peter’s dear old dad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:15 AM   #26648
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Next up, The Complete Yes Minister by Jonathan Lynn and Antony Jay. The transcipt of famouse BBC TV serial Yes Minister, one of my most favourite shows.
Just finished The Complete Yes Minister, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Highly recommended for readers of political satires. To continue the fun, I am taking up it's sequel now, The Complete Yes Prime Minister, by the same authors.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #26649
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
I finished the restored version of James Jones' From Here to Eternity, which was a five-star read for me! It offers a great glimpse into the peacetime US Army prior to WW2.

My Goodreads review is available here.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:02 PM   #26650
sourts
sourts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just finished The New Tsar by Steven Lee Myers. I've read quite a few books surrounding Russia, the fall of the USSR and Putin's rise. This was by far the most thorough and interesting. Highly recommended.
sourts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:19 AM   #26651
ramnagel
ramnagel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Still in Asimov's 'Foundation' 15book series. Looking forward to CJ Cherryh's 'Company Wars'.
Asimov wrote only 7 Foundation books surely?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series
ramnagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #26652
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just loaded my ENTIRE Shell Scott PI ebooks onto my Kindle, in preparation to reading them again.

These are by Richard S. Prather.

If you're tired of having to be constantly reading politically correct ebooks - and want a good laugh, to boot - then these PI [private investigator] novels might be your PI [politically incorrect] cup of tea!

These are better than Ed Noon for zaniness.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR LAUGHS AND OUTRIGHT LUDICROUSNESS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ride A High Horse.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	160479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slab Happy.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	160480   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Case of the Vanishing Beauty.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	160481   Click image for larger version

Name:	The Wailing Frail.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	160482   Click image for larger version

Name:	the-shell-scott-sampler-1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	160483  
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #26653
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Finished "Cobra", the first book in the eponymous "Cobra Trilogy" by Timothy Zahn, which I bought from Baen in September 2004. Baen description:

Quote:
The colony worlds Adirondack and Silvern fell to the Troft forces almost without a struggle. Outnumbered and on the defensive, Earth made a desperate decision. It would attack the aliens not from space, but on the ground—with forces the Trofts did not even suspect. Thus were created the Cobras, a guerilla force whose weapons were surgically implanted, invisible to the unsuspecting eye, yet undeniably deadly. But power brings temptation . . . and not all the Cobras could be trusted to fight for Earth alone. Jonny Moreau would learn the uses—and abuses—of his special abilities, and what it truly meant to be a Cobra.
Excellent military SF. I read this many years ago (probably when I first bought it), and enjoyed it just as much on this re-read. Highly recommended.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:09 AM   #26654
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Finished "Cobra", the first book in the eponymous "Cobra Trilogy" by Timothy Zahn, which I bought from Baen in September 2004. Baen description:

Excellent military SF. I read this many years ago (probably when I first bought it), and enjoyed it just as much on this re-read. Highly recommended.

Harry, what do you plan to read in 14 more years?

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #26655
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I just loaded my ENTIRE Shell Scott PI ebooks onto my Kindle, in preparation to reading them again.

These are by Richard S. Prather.

If you're tired of having to be constantly reading politically correct ebooks - and want a good laugh, to boot - then these PI [private investigator] novels might be your PI [politically incorrect] cup of tea!

These are better than Ed Noon for zaniness.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR LAUGHS AND OUTRIGHT LUDICROUSNESS!
If any of them are in audio format then I would love them.

Currently listening to Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. I admit these first in the series are not PI on several things. The main thing I have a problem with is the smoking everywhere. But that is only because I have recently quit smoking and it makes me think about cigarettes and then I want one lol.

Currently reading Slay Bells Ring (Caprice De Luca Home Staging Mystery #7).

And I have reached my reading goal for the year. Included in the goal is listened and read books for a total of 370. My goal was 365 books. I hope to hit 400 by end of year.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote